Liked: 113

Default Daytona 24 hour advice requested

Contemplating a quick trip to Daytona this weekend. I have been to the track for the pre 24 hours testing which was not very crowded and plenty of infield parking.

I have not been to the 24 hour. Any tips on where to park (will lot 6 be available if I arrive at 10 AM on Saturday) ?

Beyond general admission are there any add ons you would suggest.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 76

Default daytona

Hope I run into you at the track.
    butch deer

Liked: 597

Weather: Friday mid to low 60s to begin...high of maybe 81 ? Cloudy/slim chance of rain You're near the coast so expect wind.
    Saturday: about the same
    Sunday: Maybe a low of 48? .....high mid-70s Cloudy and a greater chance of rain.

Maybe earplugs for when you care to sleep.

Liked: 977

Parking is not good if you don't have a pre-purchased pass. Even with my annual IMSA credentials I would get stuck in the lot behind the back straight and have to ride the tram into the track. My suggestion would be to park at the mall and walk across. You should be able to purchase credentials/tix to get you into the garages. That can be entertaining when the cars need attention during the race. Also, make sure that your credentials/tix get you into both the stands and infield. With the low-level lighting the stands are a comfortable way to see the action even at night. Finally, take your long underwear, coat, and gloves, that place gets frigid at night. Watching the sun rise from the stands is pretty neat.

Liked: 3787

This looks like a warm year. Low Saturday night predicted 63.
    I can tell from experience the best way to take in the race is to be on a pit crew. LOL Second best is to be a corner worker. All that said it is a great spectator event if you do a bit of prep.

Be prepared to walk... a lot. Shoes are the number one decision. A good backpack is important so you can have fluids, snacks, windbreaker, sunscreen, shades, TP, proper hat, yadda, yadda, yadda. A small towel or blanket can make sitting on aluminum bleachers a lot more comfy.

There are many viewing areas and each has its own unique perspective. I like to try to take them all in once in the day, and once in the night. Like John said above, don't avoid the Crashcar grandstands. It is a great place to sit down, rest, and take in the whole view. The exit of the International hairpin just after dawn is a favorite of mine because if you are photographing the sun shines into the windshields and you can actually see the drivers.

If you are not a total fanatic, leave the facility to get good meals, and even sleep. Sunday after noon is a lot more fun if you aren't totally exhausted.

A lot of fun can be had by striking up conversations with other folks around the infield. I carry cash. Many campers overstock the fluids they haul in. I offer to pay for drinks and it saves me hauling a lot of weight around. YMMV

If you want to know what's going on with the race, watch it on TV. But, you can follow it enough on your phone to have some idea. At 3 am, you really won't care... just take in the scene.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

Lot of good advice already. I do suggest walking to as many different places around the track to enjoy different views. Take the hike to the very top of the grandstands. A taste of 24 is a decent package to get also if you like food.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

If it starts to rain, it sucks. Was there as a crew/tire changer in 2000 and 2001. Car flipped first year, broke a timing chain on the very first lap the second. Got lots of free drinks with my sob story as I walked around the various camp sites afterwards. Don't know how I made it back to the right RV after that. Probably didn't care!

Have fun!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default pre race on front straight is fun

Also do the pre race grid event and then exit to the stands when they get ready to start. It is a fun event. Fireworks late Saturday, great. Watching the sun rise on Sunday. Amazing. Run the tram a lot to see as much as you can. Car corales, garage drama at 3AM; A mechinc in the engine bay of a Ferrari swapping a sensor for instance. Will be there for the 5th or 6th time in 10 years. We park somwhere near NASCAR T4 and then walk through the old tunnel. So much to do. Well worth it. Watch from just about every level of the main stands to variety. Headphones that have FM capability get you a constant feed of info from the IMSA radio which is super informative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0146A4SWA...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

Steve

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information