Thread: 1975 Fox FV

Liked: 1

Default 1975 Fox FV

Want to get started racing or have a kid ready to learn race driving? Just want to have fun? Economical to run and simple to maintain. Add fuel and hit the track. SCCA annual Tech through Oct 2024.

Three FV cars were built by Dick Renard in Campbell, California. Dick built a number of cars for different classes, including his own 1981 CanAm car. Ron Chuck gave me copies of Dick’s FV price sheets from 1980. $30/hr shop rate!! Has been driven in SCCA, VARA and SVRA. Log books starting in 1975. Last outing was this last Oct.

I’ve had it since Sept 2022 when I needed a way to qualify for an FIA Historic license (35 years of vintage impressed no one). Car was nut and bolted prior to the track. The motor was built by Dietmar at Quixote Racing, but the previous owner did not know how many hours were on the motor. My weekends added another 8 hrs. Oil pressure was a steady 50lbs when hot. Last compression check showed 100 to 105 psi on all cylinders.

New fire system (Oct. 2022), new foam in bladder, new filters, new steering box, rebuilt front suspension, rebuilt hydraulics, new fuel pump, many new bolts, oil changed every race weekend. Lithium battery. Spares include sway bar, spring packs, front trailing arms, seals, beam axle and more.

Hard wire transponder.

Two sets of mounted Hoosiers (one set with just one weekend) and four spare wheels. Roll around tires are five spoke 14” Diamond Racing steel wheels with older Falken 195/60R14. The P.O. used these to race in VARA.

Also includes the complete set of original body molds courtesy of Ron Chuck.

$6975 Located in Los Angeles area.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Seems like it should be relocated to the Buckeye State…

Liked: 39

Hey - that looks familiar !!

Default Question of size.

I’m curious to know about the size of driver this would accommodate. I’m probably 5’7 or 8 (I’m shrinking lol) but around 240. I’ve been looking at the FV class lately after recently getting my competition license with the SCCA, just a few races in a spec Miata. I’m also not too far as I live in Bakersfield.
    james

Default Interested

Quote Originally Posted by James.cook View Post
    I’m curious to know about the size of driver this would accommodate. I’m probably 5’7 or 8 (I’m shrinking lol) but around 240. I’ve been looking at the FV class lately after recently getting my competition license with the SCCA, just a few races in a spec Miata. I’m also not too far as I live in Bakersfield.
    james
    interested in possibly seeing the car, but there is no contact info that I see. I’m new to the forum so I might be missing something. My name is James Cook 661 203-9697 or gloman@sbcglobal.net
    blessings,

Quote Originally Posted by rvrrat View Post
    Hey - that looks familiar !!
    Well, not too far from how I picked it up. While I was going through the car, anything I pulled off got stripped and painted. So the front beam, brakes and arms and ditto on the rears. Also dug a bunch of bondo out of the nose and didn't want to try to match the silver!

Swapped to a bigger sway bar, changed the front springs to fewer leaves, put the droop limiter in what I think was the original location and a few other things. I'm sure there are still improvements that can be made.

I was a few seconds off the pace when I pushed, but mostly short-shifted as my focus was on getting my finishes, not on trying to beat the local multi-decade FV champ. Don't think I could as he has Buttonwillow down cold. He was very helpful on suggestions to improve the car.

All and all, the car ran well and got me the finishes I was wanting.

james
    The P.O. was well over 6' and athletic looking. I'm 5' 10" 155 lbs and moved the seat insert forward to reach the pedals. Removing the insert opens up the area. The frame in the seat area is fairly wide and has a kick-out on the shifter side for a little elbow room to reach the shifter, but the better move would be to relocate the shifter to the higher rail to avoid dropping your arm along your side. Also gets it closer to the steering wheel. Steering wheel is on a quick release hub.

interested in possibly seeing the car, but there is no contact info that I see. I’m new to the forum so I might be missing something.
    blessings,
    Good talking with you yesterday. FV is a great way to learn momentum and also easier to see how much of the track you use without touring the dirt. Hop on down and take a look.

Liked: 0

Default Love it…

I wish this one was closer to me…unfortunately it’s 2k miles away. I don’t expect this will be around long! ?

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by vintagehistoric View Post
    Good talking with you yesterday. FV is a great way to learn momentum and also easier to see how much of the track you use without touring the dirt. Hop on down and take a look.
    Thank you, I appreciated you getting ahold of me and talking about the car. I hope to get down soon and see If I fit.... just one more reason of many to lose some weight lol.
    Blessings,

Default sold...

don't want to speak for the op, but since I bought the car I guess I can say for sure that it is in fact sold. LOL.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information