Liked: 3

Default Pinto distributor wire

Does anyone know what the wire is called that is going into the side of the distributor?
    Or where to get one?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=30147

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

that's part of the pertronix unit

Liked: 3787

Hum... not sure I understand your question.
    Do you have a Pinto distributor with old style points and you want to convert it to Petronix?
    Or, are you just missing the wire that runs into the distributor that already has Petronix installed?

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=33398

You can convert a points distributor to Petronix without changing out the whole distributor....contact an engine builder like Erik at Quicksilver

Liked: 29

Default Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by redcar9 View Post
    Does anyone know what the wire is called that is going into the side of the distributor?
    Or where to get one?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=30147
    Shown is an electronic pickup distributor, the wires connect the electronic trigger to the coil and power. If you had condenser on the side of the distributor it would be a point setup with a single wire going in from the condenser. Standard Pinto condenser has a long lead that goes to the negative side of the coil. I use a BMW condenser that has a a spade connector instead of the long lead.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 225

Default Pinto condenser

You can also find the correct Bosch condenser NOS from time to time on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35269227266...3ABFBM2NPgg6Nj

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    You can also find the correct Bosch condenser NOS from time to time on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35269227266...3ABFBM2NPgg6Nj
    BMW condenser paired with early 911S points & a Bosh blue coil will give you the best non electronic ignition system. Add an early 911E 7,100 or 911S 7,300 Rev limiting rotor & some old Beldon white 8mm tinned copper solid core wire & it should work flawlessly.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Quote Originally Posted by azjc View Post
    BMW condenser....
    Would you have a part number for this?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Thanks!
    I haven't unloaded from last weekends race - As soon as a do I'll post the Bosch part numbers.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 830

Thanks!
    Pegasus has whatever you need.. see this page...
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...roupID=IGN1600

FV,1600 or 2L should utilize the same parts.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Default Ignition Parts

Thanks!
    1969 911S: Points Bosch # 01026 / 1 237 013 081 (Porsche Redline is 7,300 - I've run them in BMW 4cy race motors to 9,300 before bounce with 60 deg dwell)

1970's BMW 2002 (depends on the distributor) condenser - left hand tab mounting: Bosch # 02093 / BMW # 12-11-267-413

1969 911S 7,300 rev limiting rotor: Bosch # 1-234-332-206
    1969 911E 7,000: 1 234 332 205 (not sure if available any longer)
    1970's BMW 6,800 (Porsche also?): Bosch #1 234 332 199 (Not sure if available any longer)
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Thanks azjc !

I'm missing the wire the runs from the distributor to the ignition box.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Hum... not sure I understand your question.
    Do you have a Pinto distributor with old style points and you want to convert it to Petronix?
    Or, are you just missing the wire that runs into the distributor that already has Petronix installed?

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=33398

--- NO just the wire

You can convert a points distributor to Petronix without changing out the whole distributor....contact an engine builder like Erik at Quicksilver
    Attached Images Attached Images

This shows the inside.

Looks like you need the 2-wire connector. The red one should connect to 12v - usually on the +12 side of the coil.. and the black one connect to the - terminal - which is the 'trigger' side of the coil that fires the spark plugs.

Where did you get the motor/distributor? Looks like it fell off. Call whoever you got it from and ask them to look for it. Did you get the coil with the motor?

This item would normally come with the Pertronix kit. I would imagine you could get one directly from them (Pertronix), but .. .hmmmm Looking at it closely, I'm not sure at all that that is a PERTRONIX module. There are several other brands out there. I don't recognize that particular one.
    Take your pic and do a image.google search..
    Never mind.. I did it for you and MIGHT have found it. Does your car have an MSD ignition system in it?
    See this link.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/750708-sc-msd-ignition.html

That LOOKS like the same thing to me...
    THIS is the link the google image search took me to - your image is on the left and comparative images are on the right .. one of them is the link above..
    https://lens.google.com/search?ep=su...RjOTdhZDYiXV1d
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Thanks Steve this is narrowing it down.

I have an accel 61212 box.

I found the connector, but it doesn't fit properly. The connector is for a circular electrical connection. What is on the distributor is a spade style. It's the purple and green wire in the picture.
    Yes, I have the coil too.

I'm missing the wire the runs from the distributor to the ignition box.
    That is a standard Bosch electronic ignition pickup, I'm familiar with its use on the BMW 320i,1980 ~83 & 318i 1984 & 85 here in the US. Nice reliable setup, used a small control module with a special coil, I believe a 4 wire connector. I could post a wire schematic. I'm sure others used it too - VW, MB, Opel. We dis see failures with the pickup that would be thermally intermittent. BMW included it's wiring in the engine harness, so we'd buy the connector & make our own harness. BMW also ran the distributor backwards (counter clockwise) compared to a point distributor.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Steve this is narrowing it down.

I have an accel 61212 box.

I found the connector, but it doesn't fit properly. The connector is for a circular electrical connection. What is on the distributor is a spade style. It's the purple and green wire in the picture.
    Yes, I have the coil too.
    Nick,
    I have ZERO experience with any type of MSD system. I see a 'fork' like tab in your picture that appears to HOLD the external 2 wire connector in place on the distributor. Is there any possibility that the green/purple wire combo 'end' FITS into the distributor and the round pins just SLIDE along the flat 'spades' in the distributor. Do the black connector shells 'mate' with each other? I suppose that's POSSIBLE, but suggest you call ACCEL and get help from them or contact whoever you bought it from and see what they have to say. For sure, those things are EXPENSIVE, so you don't want to BLOW IT UP from connecting it wrongly.

You haven't discussed how you came to owning this car. Did you get it in pieces? Have you seen it run at all? Just surprising that the connecting wire did not COME with the car...

Good luck getting it all straightened out,
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Contributing Member

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Wire Diagram

This shows the inside.
    Here's a schematic showing how BMW wired the pickup & control unit, BMW parts page:

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

24. The following members LIKED this post:

I think we have solved the mystery. It's a BMW distributor as posted above and the connector I'm searching for is part of the BMW body wire harness. The seller is on this forum and an awesome person. The car runs great, I'm just a bit OCD. Yes, it does work currently and correct the spades touch the circle connector in two spots. I'm just wanting the correct mating connector. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Nick,
    I have ZERO experience with any type of MSD system. I see a 'fork' like tab in your picture that appears to HOLD the external 2 wire connector in place on the distributor. Is there any possibility that the green/purple wire combo 'end' FITS into the distributor and the round pins just SLIDE along the flat 'spades' in the distributor. Do the black connector shells 'mate' with each other? I suppose that's POSSIBLE, but suggest you call ACCEL and get help from them or contact whoever you bought it from and see what they have to say. For sure, those things are EXPENSIVE, so you don't want to BLOW IT UP from connecting it wrongly.

You haven't discussed how you came to owning this car. Did you get it in pieces? Have you seen it run at all? Just surprising that the connecting wire did not COME with the car...

Good luck getting it all straightened out,
    Steve

did a eBay search and found an old BMW harness. I see the connector.

Thanks for the help. Just need to find a partial harness.

If this comes off during a race, the spark to the ignition just stops right? As the box won't know the distribution position correct?

No engine damage?

Liked: 139

Is there one on "Connector experts" .com

Default Nla

did a eBay search and found an old BMW harness. I see the connector.

Thanks for the help. Just need to find a partial harness.
    Looking at the parts catalog it appears to be part of the engine harness - No Longer Available. That distributor & control unit were used on USA market BMW 320i, 1980 thru 1983 and 1984/85 318i. If you find those harnesses, you could split out what you need. It's been 30 years since I used one in a race car... but I believe we were able to buy the connectors for the distributor & control unit, wire up our own harness.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

man, that's a lot of work to use an OEM trigger module. On the one hand, they're reliable, on the other, you don't know what the curves look like.

Why not put a pertronix in there and call it a day?

Contributing Member

This is, I believe, the correct pulse sensor for your distributor:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134707469362

The listing says it's common across a whole lot of different vehicles. That might give you more scope to find the plug you need?

Also...

According to the distributor part number 0237002078 is a standard Ford Sierra item, in which case the plug/wire from something like this is the part you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126208918085
    Last edited by tlracer; 01.28.24 at 5:00 AM.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Is there one on "Connector experts" .com
    I looked, but I only see modern style connectors. Can you post a link to it please?

This is, I believe, the correct pulse sensor for your distributor:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134707469362

The listing says it's common across a whole lot of different vehicles. That might give you more scope to find the plug you need?

Also...

According to the distributor part number 0237002078 is a standard Ford Sierra item, in which case the plug/wire from something like this is the part you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126208918085
    That 2nd link looks right!! They just don't ship to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    man, that's a lot of work to use an OEM trigger module. On the one hand, they're reliable, on the other, you don't know what the curves look like.

Trying to control costs and use what I already have.

What do you mean by the curve?

Looking at the parts catalog it appears to be part of the engine harness - No Longer Available. That distributor & control unit were used on USA market BMW 320i, 1980 thru 1983 and 1984/85 318i. If you find those harnesses, you could split out what you need. It's been 30 years since I used one in a race car... but I believe we were able to buy the connectors for the distributor & control unit, wire up our own harness.
    Is the a vintage BMW place that I can call and see if they can get this? I know I can google this stuff, but if you know of someone. That would be greatly appreciated.

You seem to be pretty dedicated to getting the part you want .
    In your ebay link above you said 'won't ship to US',, but down in the Post options area there is this

The seller has not specified a postage method to United States. Contact the seller and request postage to your location.

You can always contact them and ask. I don't see any 'real specific' connector there myself - looks like a simple rubber wire protector, but .. ..
    If you're mostly looking to get the job done for the least money, just find a couple small 'spade' connectors that will slide onto the tabs in the dist .. put them on the ends of the wires, connect them and then 'doctor it all up' with some hot glue.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

38. The following members LIKED this post:

The advance curve.

And you can also just go to the sensor, remove it, cut the stock connector off, lengthen the wires, and put it all back in with whatever connector you want - or do the two little spades as steve suggests if they fit.

We can sure go down a lot of rabbit holes here with all the expertise. But you don't want to get all this kitted up real pretty and now have to carry another spare oddball connector. Just lengthen the wires, throw some spade lugs on it, plug the hole and be done with it.

Simplicity goes a long way.

And while you can use that dizzy, in the 24 years I've been on this site and its predecessor, this is the first time I've seen one - which means if it takes a crap on you at the track you will likely have no help available - other than replacing the entire distributor.

Contributing Member

@Steve Davis - the flylead is separate on a connector. It's retained by the screwed-on metal strap.

@Rich Kirchner - you're correct, it doesn't seem to be a common model. I could find very few of them and not a lot of info.

The flat pins look like they should take small blade-type females. Logic says do that, back-fill with electronic silicone potting compound and have standard spades on the leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post

As some one who has worked on thousands of the Bosch units in BMW's - failure rate is extremely low, if it fails it will be a no distributor signal at a hot start - hit the distributor with a shot of freon & it will start right up. Never seen a failure when running.

On the other hand as someone that has sold thousands of Pertronix for use on industrial equipment, I've seen hundreds of failures, warranty claims. Newer units are much more prone to failure that older units.

That being said - I've never had a failure with points & condenser, for the ignition on a Kent or Pinto they are perfectly adequate. I double check my primary and secondary ignition along with timing every race weekend - I do have the luxury of owning an automotive oscilloscope.

Electronics is just one more failure point
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

42. The following 2 users liked this post:

As some one who has worked on thousands of the Bosch units in BMW's - failure rate is extremely low, if it fails it will be a no distributor signal at a hot start - hit the distributor with a shot of freon & it will start right up. Never seen a failure when running.

On the other hand as someone that has sold thousands of Pertronix for use on industrial equipment, I've seen hundreds of failures, warranty claims. Newer units are much more prone to failure that older units.

That being said - I've never had a failure with points & condenser, for the ignition on a Kent or Pinto they are perfectly adequate. I double check my primary and secondary ignition along with timing every race weekend - I do have the luxury of owning an automotive oscilloscope.

Electronics is just one more failure point
    Thanks so much for the feedback on this. Here is the solution I went with. I used mouser.com 2-520273-2 connector and removed the outer plastic. Then I used heatsink to make my own connector. Fit great! Going to backfill with silicon.

Thread Information