Liked: 3279

Default Frank Schultheis - FF & FV engine guru

Frank passed this morning due to complications from a blood clot. He had suffered from diabetes for a very long time, and that likely contributed to his passing.

Back in my early racing days in the '60's and '70's he was the absolute expert on teching FV and FF engines. There was no one who knew more about those subjects and was a more thorough and respected inspector back then. After the 1972 ARRC (now Runoffs) we got to spend ~6 hours in the no-wall Road Atlanta tech shed with 35 degree wind blowing through as he measured and weighed every part of my FV engine.

We got to know him (and his wife Shirley who passed a few years ago) better later on and they were very interesting company as we rode with them on a trolley tour of Savannah after the 2013 FV 50th at Roebling Road.

RIP Frank. We'll miss you.
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.16.24 at 1:29 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 601

Default Frank Schultheis

Back in the days when, if you won the Run-offs, you brought your engine back home in a basket.
    I still have a copy of his 1977 Formula Ford Scrutineer's Handbook.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

3. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 83

Default Frank, I will miss our phone calls...

RIP Frank Schultheis.
    The call came about 5am this morning, I tried calling yesterday but he was no longer able to talk.
    For those of you who go way back one of the best Tech guys ever passed away today.
    The call came about 5am this morning, I tried calling yesterday but he was no longer able to talk.
    My last call with Frank was about 6 months ago and he was doing well. Frank Schultheis was such a positive influence in life as was Shirley Schultheis. Frank was so good about coming to our garage and looking at our latest innovation and suggesting ways to make it compliant, with his personal guarantee, he was always there to help and help you get on track. He was particularly helpful to the guy in the back in need a wink and a nod to get through tech and would help them come back completely compliant next time. He really understood the balance for compliance up front, no gray area, and understood as you went to the back sometimes on any given weekend there could be some gray.
    I still have one of his original Formula Ford Scrutineer's Handbooks.
    He will be missed.

5. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 140

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Frank passed this morning due to complications from a blood clot. He had suffered from diabetes for a very long time, and that likely contributed to his passing.

Back in my early racing days in the '60's and '70's he was the absolute expert on teching FV and FF engines. There was no one who knew more about those subjects and was a more thorough and respected inspector back then. After the 1972 ARRC (now Runoffs) we got to spend ~6 hours in the no-wall Road Atlanta tech shed with 35 degree wind blowing through as he measured and weighed every part of my FV engine.

We got to know him (and his wife Shirley who passed a few years ago) better later on and they were very interesting company as we rode with them on a trolley tour of Savannah after the 2013 FV 50th at Roebling Road.

RIP Frank. We'll miss you.
    RIP, indeed.

It took over 24 hours for us to get our Vee engine back after my dad won the Runoffs in '76. It was a sleepless night, as everyone involved knew that Frank was gonna check every. single. item. Formula Vee wouldn't have made it through its heyday without him. I'm quite certain that if Frank were still governing FV rules in the early 2000's that we wouldn't have the inflated intake manifolds that are necessary to run up front these days.

He was as dedicated as they come.

James

7. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 302

Sad news. He was a very special man.

Liked: 490

Default Frank

As a tech inspector Frank was someone we all used hold with the greatest admiration. I also still have a copy of his book. The rules have been modified over the years, but it is still a great reference. I wonder if anyone knows what he thought about the lack of enforcement in today's world.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Default Frank

As a tech inspector Frank was someone we all used hold with the greatest admiration. I was assistant chief of Open Wheel in 1990 and had to inspect the FV, FF, and S 2000. Everyone did have to take their engines home in a box. I also still have a copy of his book. The rules have been modified over the years, but it is still a great reference. I wonder if anyone knows what he thought about the lack of enforcement in today's world. There are way too many really fast cars down the straights, but no one seems to care.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Post deleted. Apologies. This thread is about Frank Schultheis, and nothing else.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    As a tech inspector Frank was someone we all used hold with the greatest admiration. I also still have a copy of his book. The rules have been modified over the years, but it is still a great reference. I wonder if anyone knows what he thought about the lack of enforcement in today's world.
    Frank and I talked about enforcement several times over the past couple of years. When we got through how is the family and right into what is happening in SCCA and mostly tech inspection. He recognized what is happening to tech with fewer really skilled people being available, Frank was realist and understood the problem and really wished he could have been part of the solution.
    Frank took great joy in hearing all I could tell him about the various classes, technology advancement, and everything I could possible tell him.

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default FF Tech Manual

I found a copy of Frank's FF Tech Manual in a friends document stash. What an incredible document; concise, clear & complete!!! I was blown away!

Does anyone know what's going to happen with this document (copyrighted) with regard to future availability???

It would be such a shame to have it fade into oblivion.

John Mihalich, Jr

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Fabulous idea.

I sent you a PM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Default Frank Shultheis

One thing to remember is that SCCA (the elephant in the room) has re-defined many of their rules. Most sanctioning bodies follow these to some extent. Some of the changes are great and some not so much. This is a historical document, and not a current rule book. Many of the parts mandated are no longer available, and some much more reliable ones are now allowed. Frank kept the playing field level for a long time. For that I am greatful!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Thanks for that, Roland.

If info was current, and the copyright holder had released it, I was willing to re-create the book at N/C for the good of FF — for shops to sell if even as a download only — a class very close to my heart since Year 1.

Darn. But Thanks.
    Last edited by E1pix; 02.22.24 at 11:53 AM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Thread Information