Liked: 20

Default Oil for Hewlands

I'm slightly reticent to post this question, but here goes ...

I see recommendations all over the place as to what oil to put in a Hewland dog box. Mine is a DGB with a 400 hp motor in front of it. Seems many recommend either dino GL-5 like 80w90 or 80w140. I saw one respected vendor recommends Redline shockproof. I'm pretty sure that is what was in mine when I got it. Seemed to be a lot of goop in there when I opened it up so I've been using 80w90. Curious to hear what others are using.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Gear lube

I have always used Redline shock proof. It takes me a bunch of time to get the lube off gear sets after a change. If it’s that hard to get off it must be working. All my experience is with MK 5,8,9 Hewland’s.

Liked: 25

Default Oil for hewland

I have always used redline shockproof in both my Mk and FT 200 transaxles. I used the lightweight in the Mk and heavyweight in the FT, never had a failure related to lubrication. They shift smooth as butter. For an expert opinion I would contact Scott Young, he’s the best in the gearbox business. He may even chime in if he sees this thread

Best
    Tom

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

I would ask Scott Young and just do that. Then I'd buy a case from him as a thanks for the advice.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Rather than making Scotty answer the phone or an email, read this.
    https://www.sy-gearboxes.com/sites/d...rect%20Oil.pdf
    This document states his preferences clearly, Redline Shockproof or Swepco.

Steve

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 610

Default Hewland Gear Lube

We use Redline Shock-Proof in all the Hewland we have around here. Mk 6-8-9, LD200, FT200, LG500.
    Light weight in most, Heavy in the LG
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsy SR 6 View Post
    I have always used redline shockproof in both my Mk and FT 200 transaxles. I used the lightweight in the Mk and heavyweight in the FT, never had a failure related to lubrication. They shift smooth as butter. For an expert opinion I would contact Scott Young, he’s the best in the gearbox business. He may even chime in if he sees this thread

Best
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    Rather than making Scotty answer the phone or an email, read this.
    https://www.sy-gearboxes.com/sites/d...rect%20Oil.pdf
    This document states his preferences clearly, Redline Shockproof or Swepco.

Steve
    Tom - I am in the middle of sorting out what to use in my JL200. Why did you choose the Heavy Shockproof in your FT? Per the liked document, Scotty calls for 75w-90 as a minimum. Which would full under the Lightweight Shockproof (75w-140) oil type.

Liked: 20

Thanks all. Looks like Shockproof is the popular option.

Is there any concern with the solids in Shockproof clogging the oil pump, spray bars, etc?

Liked: 25

Default Oil for Hewland

Quote Originally Posted by Twill45 View Post
    Tom - I am in the middle of sorting out what to use in my JL200. Why did you choose the Heavy Shockproof in your FT? Per the liked document, Scotty calls for 75w-90 as a minimum. Which would full under the Lightweight Shockproof (75w-140) oil type.
    Trevor
    2 reasons for my decision to run the heavy weight; i’m running a BDG torque engine (makes max torque over a very broad range) with 275 hp. The FT is rated at 200 ft pounds of torque so I figured with my engine making a little over that it would be prudent. Also my race shop owner recommended it. He has 30+ years of experience.

Best
    Tom

Thread Information