Liked: 3

Default Rear brake plumbing Lola T440

Working my way through the Lola and had a chance to look at the rear brake line plumbing while I was removing the calipers. I don't like it. Right now I have a soft line running to a tee fitting lying loose on top of the gearbox and then two soft lines running one each too the calipers. Considering replacing all the soft lines with hard lines. Any down side to this? Curious what others have done?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Not a single piece of hard line in any racecar that I've ever built.

Not a single brake related failure either.

I've built a lot of racecars.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by aero_eight View Post
    Working my way through the Lola and had a chance to look at the rear brake line plumbing while I was removing the calipers. I don't like it. Right now I have a soft line running to a tee fitting lying loose on top of the gearbox and then two soft lines running one each to the calipers. Considering replacing all the soft lines with hard lines. Any down side to this? Curious what others have done?
    Hard lines have to be VERY carefully installed to prevent fatigue failures, plus they're a PITA to properly flare, bend and install. I've not used a hard brake line on a racecar since the Z10 in the '70's.

You do have to be careful that the SS braid on a soft line doesn't rub on ANYTHING because if it does it will either wear though what it's rubbing on or the SS braid will itself wear through causing a brake failure.

Any soft line that's vulnerable I cover with 1 or 2 layers of shrink tubing to protect it.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...l=1#post555865
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.15.24 at 2:24 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post

Any soft line that's vulnerable I cover with 1 or 2 layers of shrink tubing to protect it.
    ]

This is what I do on every inch of -3 stainless.

I get the 3' lengths of shrink tube from McMaster Carr.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

7. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Or, if money is no object, you can buy coated Earls -3. It is nice, but price is up sharply form a few years ago....

bt

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default 644

My Lola 644 had hard lines and were troublesome. Didn't have a flare, but a bubble like fitting.

Ed

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    My Lola 644 had hard lines and were troublesome. Didn't have a flare, but a bubble like fitting.

Ed
    I still have my tool to make the normal and SAE/double (inverted/45degree) flares. Haven't used it in >30 years.
    Dave Weitzenhof

11. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 23

Default Brake lines

Both of my Van Diemen cars have/had a hardline from front to rear, both clutch and brake. No issues on the RF79/80.
    Last edited by AlanVDW; 02.15.24 at 6:13 PM.
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

I'm surprised there is that much hate for hard lines. Its easy to work with, the flare tool, if you don't have one, is cheap, and I've never had one fail. In theory it should be less compliant than any hose in regard to expansion under pressure. Yes it takes a bit of planning (flare the tube and forgot to install the sleeve or B-nut) but you usually only make that mistake once!

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by aero_eight View Post
    Working my way through the Lola and had a chance to look at the rear brake line plumbing while I was removing the calipers. I don't like it. Right now I have a soft line running to a tee fitting lying loose on top of the gearbox and then two soft lines running one each too the calipers. Considering replacing all the soft lines with hard lines. Any down side to this? Curious what others have done?
    If you ever watch a formula car of that era at speed from behind, you will notice the engine and transaxle move under acceleration, gear change and hard braking. Soft lines where they have to flex with the motion are preferred.

DaveW is correct about fatigue failures of hard lines and also sleeving the braided stainless because it acts like a hacksaw to anything it touches.

10rmotor is also correct about flaring hard lines. What you have are the English "bubble flares" which are made with the same tool you use to make double flares, just without the second operation to make the internal flare.

My Crossle and Zink have hard lines to end of the chassis and then braided lines to the calipers. The hard lines are fastened to the chassis with padded 'p' clips so they don't move. Soft lines are allowed to flex so they can.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information