Liked: 94

Default Electromotive HPV1 on a Supervee

Looking for some help from the collective.
    I'm to the point of trying to fire this thing up. I have assumed 2 things. One that the engine is going to spin clockwise when looking at it from the front. Two, that the 11th tooth after the missing teeth (in a clockwise direction) is where the sensor is aligned. My first attempt got several backfires through the intake and out the injector stacks. At that point I had starter issues (since rectified) and want to be sure I get it right this time. I also see where there are times it's recommended to use the 12th or 13th tooth to get some more mechanical advance into it to aid starting. Anyone have real world experience with these?

Liked: 139

Falling side of 11th tooth is TDC #1 and aligned with pickup. Sounds like your plug wires might be on the wrong cylinders?

Coils are marked. The one closet to the control knobs I assume is A. It’s marked 1 & 4 the other is 3&2. From that the wires are correct. With wasted spark and cyl 1 at tdc I wonder if #4 has enough valve overlap that the wasted spark is igniting what’ fuel is beginning to enter the cyl on the down stroke. Maybe that’s why you could use the 12th or 13th tooth to get that spark prior to the intake opening?

I Have moved my wheel to the 13th tooth (12deg advanced). The engine now starts easily. Now I need to tune the whole curve to work with the 12 deg initial. It does idle at what seems a high 1500 rpm even with the idle screw all the way backed off and the initial knob at zero. I might need to try the 12th tooth (6 deg) and see how that works. A learning curve for sure but at least it now starts and runs.

Thread Information