Liked: 553

Default Historic/Vintage racing orgs and digital dashes

If I want to race a car with both SCCA and historic/vintage organizations, are they okay with modern data systems with digital dashes?

The car in question is from around 1975-1980, and I live and race in Central Florida, southeastern USA.

TIA.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    If I want to race a car with both SCCA and historic/vintage organizations, are they okay with modern data systems with digital dashes?

The car in question is from around 1975-1980, and I live and race in Central Florida, southeastern USA.

TIA.
    I've seen several CFs with data/digital dashes but not on VFFs.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

we certainly don't have a problem with it in the southwest. But the east coast is a whole nuther ballgame. IMHO, digital dashes (specifically data loggers) make it possible to spot engine problems before they become terminal and thus reduce the overall cost of racing , improve car counts, and preserve hard to find parts.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Dashes depend on the organization. I have both, even hid the mxl pista under the seat so I had data overlay on video for driver ed... "Keep poooshing!" No issue with SVRA unless someone is pursuing a "Gold Medallion" log book. VARA and CSRG are non issue.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Your milage may differ. Probably not an issue. I've certainly never seen data acqusition stuff nixed. But, check with the vintage organization you plan on racing with (i.e. getting a logbook from and/or attending their events).

Here's a listing of the websites for all the vintage organizations where you can find contact info.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 158

Hi Russ, Welcome to the dark side. You will likely be racing with the VDCA if you plan to race a FF in vintage in the Southeast. They use the Formula Ford Challenge Series (FFCS) rules. Here is a link: https://www.ffchallengeseries.com/2019-car-rules-1. The rules have a requirement for "original specification" but do not specifically exclude electronic dashes or data systems. I have seen many Aim Solo's used with the original gauges, Aim cameras with data and a few electronic dashes mostly on Post Club Ford (PCF) cars. I think I have only seen one car with a full data system. I am a tech inspector for both the VDCA and VRG and this is not something that I have flagged as an issue. In fact, I have an 83 Reynard (PCF) in my shop with an Aim dash. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Cheers, Joe

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

TIA.
    Might also be pertinent to know just what is " the car in question". I didn't see any indication that it was a FF.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fraelich View Post
    Might also be pertinent to know just what is " the car in question". I didn't see any indication that it was a FF.

Great question Tom now that the VDCA has created a home for "Group 9" cars.

Joe

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fraelich View Post
    I was hoping I could sneak by without specifying. :-)

The car in question is an H Prod Fiat X1/9 I am purchasing as a project. Currently it is bare - No gauges, etc.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

16. The following members LIKED this post:

I was hoping I could sneak by without specifying. :-)

The car in question is an H Prod Fiat X1/9 I am purchasing as a project. Currently it is bare - No gauges, etc.
    Sorry, I can't help you with a production based car. I suspect you would be OK but I am not sure. I don't tech production cars. I stick to what I know which is Formula cars and an occasional sports racer. You should check out the rules on the VDCA website. If you still have questions, send me a PM and I will get you in contact with Mike Kennedy who is the Chief Tech Inspector or Doug Meis who is the Technical Director for the VDCA.

Joe

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 186

As Technical Director for VDCA, here's my two cents.

1. " We want to create a place for well prepared cars which are faithful to their period of construction and competition, and we seek to relive the lost era in motorsports when sport and sportsmanship were paramount. Authenticity and appearance of the cars is much more important than their speed potential. It is essential that all competitors know and respect the limits of their cars and themselves."

2. "Supplemental and replacement gauges are permitted".

So, while it may not be in the spirit of the (VDCA) rules, it doesn't violate the letter of the rules. In reality I think we are well past the days when we had any genuine issue with the appearance and "period correct" presentation of the interior of a vintage car.

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information