Liked: 31

Default Help ID this car

Seller has this car on Marketplace as a 2005 Indy Lites car. Has no logbook or other info. Does that seem right? What class would this run in? Ballpark value?
    Screenshot_20240101_182428_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_182434_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_182440_Facebook.jpg
    Ken Hoovler

Liked: 830

This
    http://aandbracing.com/FORMULACARS.HTML
    might give you a bit more information. Obviously, SCCA - possibly. I know pretty much nothing, but thought this website might help you. Car looks like it's been sitting a FEW YEARS. MIGHT have been a decent car in 2005?
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 278

I would think that it would be welcome in many Vintage organizations. Looks like it would need a ground up rebuild and that will definitely not be cheap. Not really sure how available spare parts are for those these days. No idea on value

Liked: 1108

I reviewed all 2005 races, no #10 car ran in 2005.

Not to worry, it may well be a 2005 car that was not #10 until in later years.

Here’s the reference if you want to know who drove this car. I know I would.

This is the Indy Lights results homepage. It’s two clicks to go forward to look at each race’s results; first click on the year, then click on the race # at far left to see that race’s results.

After checking each page of results, it’s one click back to more results from a season, or two back to change years.

Good Luck.
    https://www.racing-reference.info/in...s-series-page/
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.01.24 at 9:50 PM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

5. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 20

I could be wrong, but it looks like an old Fran-am car. They become a bit of on orphan car after the series folded. I believe Tatuus built the tubs, and they had either a 1.6 or 2.0L Renault engine. It was a series that was spec racing all like cars. Slower and heavier than say an USF2000 in the day. The series lasted a year or 2 in the US Circa 2002' ish. No idea what the parts available would be, I would guess poor, and at least a 20 year old part.
    Last edited by DBS Motorsports; 01.01.24 at 11:26 PM.
    2005 Cooper Tires Zetec Championship #35 GTP Motorsports

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

That's not an Indy Lts car.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Fran Am car

Pretty sure that is a Fran Am car. There were two of these testing one day at Seattle, only ran with them once. The young men managed to wad both of them in turn five. Never saw them again

https://us.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/scca-pro-racing-to-sanction-fran-am-2000-series/960089/

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

That's either a 1.6 or 2L Fran-am.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Fran Am

found this little tid bit, but has some good pictures. the 1600 did not have the raised nose.

https://appletowing.hibid.com/lot/60...-2000-race-car

So an orphan car from a spec series. Definitely beyond my capabilities. The seller must have bought out or inherited the shop Mr. Davis found, he has both cars, plus spares. He also has an inflated value, though it may just be ignorance. Thanks everyone for the help, I knew Apex would have an answer.
    Ken Hoovler

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

More info on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_Renault

The cars were the same as Formula Renault used in various championships across the world. As so many cars were built, parts shouldn't be difficult to source, but I guess the question still remains of where it could race in the US?

Liked: 830

I think it could race in SCCA at the Regional level in Formula Super. MAYBE it might even qualify for FX ?? Would take some research and more info on the car.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

We see the occasional one up here in the North. They always seemed a bit "coopered" together to me, in terms of the overall engineering, FWIW. Again, and it is a personal thing, I've always tried (not always succeeded!) to only buy cars that I felt I could find a ready market for in the future...

best,
    bt

Liked: 229

Default 1.6 Formula Renault

Same car used in the Allen Berg Racing School. After the success of the 2.0 Fran Am series there was an attempt to start a series for it here in Canada but it never got off the ground, think only one or two made it here and they disappeared quickly. Pretty decent car for a racing school, the big brother Fran Am car, known as F Renault in Europe was a very successful car, durable, fast and not bad to work on.

Brian.

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

The reference to AandB Racing on the car......

I think cars 10 and 11 are on the stacker at the bottom of the page....
    http://aandbracing.com/FORMULACARS.HTML

Thanks everyone, it is indeed a Fran-Am 1600. Looks complete but rode hard and put up wet. I don't think I have the driving talent, financial means, or technical knowledge to revive this car.

received_308202254951155.jpg
    received_1433390737530555.jpg
    received_1045471286681626.jpg
    Ken Hoovler

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Wise decision.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 120

Default F.Libre Club Calabogie Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by killerken53 View Post
    Seller has this car on Marketplace as a 2005 Indy Lites car. Has no logbook or other info. Does that seem right? What class would this run in? Ballpark value?

There are 2-3 cars that attend sporadically. From the Ottawa-Montreal area. Car histories unknown to me. As Brian G says not a bad piece of kit. The mono shock arrangement might drive you nuts. I recall some Renault bearings and seals needing service. It looked a solid series then the usual 'too many flies around the jampot' kayboshed it. Bodywork had holograms to deter repair. I kid you not.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Ah, Fran-Am (aka Formula Renault). Bit of a touchy history with SCCA. Which might help explain why one sees few/none at Club events.

That said, Formula Renault 2000 is defined in the FX rules.

In the late 2000s, a DC Region member bought a 1600 with the intent of converting it to FF. Nothing came of it, and I suspect that the car is moldering in a storage unit somewhere.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 597

I went searching on line for this car.......to no avail.
    Is this car yet posted up as an Indy Lite?
    No idea if the seller knows ApexSpeed........
    Is the seller therefore open to who knows what sort of............

Liked: 3

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Price is rather...ambitious? Unless that's for both cars and all the spare parts

Liked: 140

Can't tell by the ad if he wants $30K for both...or each. Seems like you could put a little air in the tires, roll it out into the driveway, and spray a little Simple Green on it. As it sits, it looks like it just sits.

That said, in his very detailed description.."it will do 165mph, and is a serious race car."

All the info I got from him in multiple conversations:

The cars came out of Canada approximately 3 years ago. He decided to build his own 1/2 mile race track to play with, and Google maps shows a glorified kart track near his home. Arial photo below. He hasn't done anything with the cars yet, as he is a boat guy. He does have 2 cars plus a spare engine, wheels, and other various components. He sent me quite a few photos, but I am not going to duplicate them here. The one nose is stitched back together with zipties. The car does look complete, including the dash.

In my opinion, I think he's bit off more than he can chew, and is looking to get money back for his other hobbies. I was going to try and make him a more reasonable offer, but decided this project wasn't for me. I'm realizing these are probably only good for parts that can be used on other formula cars with active classes here in the states.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Hoovler

Liked: 229

Default school cars

The parts idea is not really going to pan out, they are very specific. There is a reason this series never took off. They are basically a track day car that prepared properly should be reliable but you will need to have your own parts department. Perfect for a school such as Alan Berg's Racing School. In its best form they are not a quick as a FF but that means little for what they were initially intended for. The description of the performance is not anywhere near accurate. Racecars are racecars and these would work for someone who wants a fun car for track days.

Brian.

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information