Liked: 10

Default Az Podium Club race

SCCA regional at Podium Club in Az, Jan 13-15 inviting anyone who has a comp license from almost any group. Thinking about it, but never run there. Anyone have info as to what gear ratios are good there?? For club ford cars.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by reset1 View Post
    SCCA regional at Podium Club in Az, Jan 13-15 inviting anyone who has a comp license from almost any group. Thinking about it, but never run there. Anyone have info as to what gear ratios are good there?? For club ford cars.

Not quite any group.

An SCCA member can enter a regional or an enduro with one of:

1. An SCCA full competition, Pro, Vintage, or Novice license.

2. Canadian residents with an ASN National license.

3. Licenses listed in Appendix C.2.8.B. To be fair, it is a long list.

Note that holders of licenses from other organizations must still be SCCA members to enter.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

IIRC, the "alternative license program" is also supposed to be listec in the supps. At least, that was the excuse the Atlanta region used to use to prevent me from entering.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    IIRC, the "alternative license program" is also supposed to be listec in the supps. At least, that was the excuse the Atlanta region used to use to prevent me from entering.
    The current (2023) GCR specifies that other organizations' licenses "will be accepted" (App.C.2.8.B.) for Regionals.

The requirement for specification in the supps actually goes the other way. GCR 3.1.2.C.3. states that, "The event Supplemental Regulations must list the particular licenses and organizations not eligible for a specific race or else exclude the entire group ..".

Rules may have been different in the past, so it might depend on when you had that experience.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 323

Anyone have info as to what gear ratios are good there?? For club ford cars.
    I ran there at Thanksgiving event, photo below. Drove a Van Diemen with Kent. LD200 with 10:31. I was on the Hoosier Vintage Tire and found these ratios to be OK.

16:29
    18:28
    22:30
    23:28

Attached Images Attached Images

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Thanks for this info, and for the record,

'"
    Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    I ran there at Thanksgiving event, photo below. Drove a Van Diemen with Kent. LD200 with 10:31. I was on the Hoosier Vintage Tire and found these ratios to be OK.

16:29
    18:28
    22:30
    23:28

A valid NASA, SVRA, VARA HSR,or other national known competition license with a current medical" from Jim Campbell, SCCA Arizona region.

Liked: 1112

I was pretty happy some weeks ago in my RF94 Kent (10:31) with

16:34
    19:33
    21:31
    22:28

That's with a 6500 redline. Probably would need taller to go CCW.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Default gears for Podium club

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I was pretty happy some weeks ago in my RF94 Kent (10:31) with

16:34
    19:33
    21:31
    22:28

That's with a 6500 redline. Probably would need taller to go CCW.
    Thanks guys, now see if I have something close.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Not being an SCCA member, i cannot find Appendix C.2.8.B. on the SCCA site. Would someone please post a complete link that goes to that appendix?

Thanks,

Jim

The Arizona SCCA sent out an email with some information about registering for this Regional 'Saguaro Series' event. In the email, there was a link so it could be viewed online. I will put the link below. On this you will see 'Register for Races Here'. That will take you to the MotorsportReg page. Here you will see some information about car grouping, etc. I can recommend for anyone interested in the event to contact the organizers directly and ask them. I had a question during registration process, Jim Cantrell and Chris Page were very punctual in responses. If you have any problem with links on these sites to getting in contact, feel free to send me a PM and I will provide contact info.

https://mailchi.mp/b57df88996b1/scca...6?e=d734240aae

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...arizona-387557

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    The current (2023) GCR specifies that other organizations' licenses "will be accepted" (App.C.2.8.B.) for Regionals.

The requirement for specification in the supps actually goes the other way. GCR 3.1.2.C.3. states that, "The event Supplemental Regulations must list the particular licenses and organizations not eligible for a specific race or else exclude the entire group ..".

Rules may have been different in the past, so it might depend on when you had that experience.
    It was 2016-2017. I called either the Race Director or RE - can't remember which - and was told my entry would be denied because it wasn't in the supps and something about changing after the supps were published required contacting the other entrants, etc. They claimed it was because they had "problems" with a Miata driver recently (must have been a NASA license?) and so they were using this to effectively eliminate him.

To run in the '17 ARRC and Barber the next year I made sure to contact them months in advance to ensure I'd be allowed to participate. Always thought it was funny that the national office made a rule and allowed regions to just skip it. Then again, there was this chief steward that made me bring my GCR and show her personally the specific passage, along with my license and medical each time - which could be skipped if I only would purchase a SCCA license. To which I reminded her I had an acceptable license.

One week away.....Group 6 (open wheel) is carrying the highest registration right now !!

Talking with some of the people associated with Group 3, it sounds like they will have a good turn out as well.

Shaping up to be a good fun weekend and a great time to prep for the Majors at this track which is coming up in March.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Default Just about anyone

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Not quite any group.

An SCCA member can enter a regional or an enduro with one of:

1. An SCCA full competition, Pro, Vintage, or Novice license.

2. Canadian residents with an ASN National license.

3. Licenses listed in Appendix C.2.8.B. To be fair, it is a long list.

Note that holders of licenses from other organizations must still be SCCA members to enter.
    The region is VERY receptive to drivers - took me a day to get a full competition license issued by National... I have had a ProAutoSports license for years, last SCCA was in the 1990's. If you have any questions contact the So Pacific Div license, they along with AZ Region will bend over backwards to license you... same with tech for the car.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Default Gears

I'm running a FC with a MK box, running clockwise (other direction) I hit 6500 in 4th:

FINAL DRIVE RATIO = 3.100
    SHIFT RPM = 6600
    Option 1
    1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear
    SHIFT RPM = 6600 6600 6600 6600
    GEARS = 16 19 21 23
    34 33 30 27
    GEAR RATIO = 2.125 1.737 1.429 1.174
    MPH = 68.0 83.2 101.1 123.1
    RPM DROP= 1206 1171 1177
    RPM = 5394 5429 5423
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Here's a question, for the regional, will they waive the rain light rule, especially if there's no rain in the forecast? Realizing that it is rainy season in the Southwest....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Here's a question, for the regional, will they waive the rain light rule, especially if there's no rain in the forecast? Realizing that it is rainy season in the Southwest....
    Yes, not an issue. If you want to race in AZ region they will bend over backwards to help you... they want to rebuild the region. I had no problems getting an annual tech - but I did it on 12/30. If your car is safe, you can reasonably pass the items on the checklist you should be able to run.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Default Tales from the Cold Desert SouthWest

The Saguaro Series SCCA Regional event at Podium Club last weekend went well. A couple of the groups had low numbers so the race director spoke with those classes and all agreed to combine themselves into the other more populated groups. This allowed for a little bit of added track time into everyones run group and some flexibility with timing during the event.

A cold weather system was moving through the region and it made the overnight and early morning a little challenging. Friday night still dropped below freezing for a few hours. So, we had to 'babysit' the cars a little and put them away for the night. But Saturday night stayed 3-5 degrees above freezing, so all the cars were left out to fend for themselves. One of the more humorous things of the weekend would have been to watch a few of us 'fully warm weather climatized' people trying to prep cars in the morning or attending the driver meeting. The driver meeting was held next to the tech/inspection trailer right after sunrise. That was not time enough for the sun to start having any effect on the outside temperature. I stood there in the 29º morning air with head gear, 5 layers of long sleeve shirt and coat, just shivering! Feel free to leave snarky comments about me being a WUSS. I am OK with that. I was very happy when the driver meeting was over so I could get in my truck with the heater on full blast. Once the sun was up for a bit the temps rose back to a level that I deemed to be much more acceptable. The mid day and afternoon temps on the track were simply fantastic.

We had good fun and many were using this event and the one coming up at the beginning of February as prep and practice for the SCCA Majors which is in March.

Attached Images Attached Images

22. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Snowbird Majors

Majors race in Arizona info and registration has been sent out and I will put a link to that below. Anyone needing further info can feel free to shoot me a PM and I will get you some contact info. Or, there are links to contact AZ Region through the MotorsportReg site.

https://mailchi.mp/82060e022247/scca...0?e=d734240aae

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Registration Final Week

The Final Week Registration email was just sent out. I will put the link below.

Formula Ford looks like it is going to have a nice turn out and will surely be fun to watch.

Corey has just received all of his parts and should have his FE2 sorted out for this event. Group 3 (Big bore open wheel / Sports Racer) currently has the strongest registration and Corey's repaired car will add to this.

Current 10 day weather forecast is showing what can be commonly expected in the desert at this time of year. Temps somewhere between 60º and 80º, partly cloudy with very low chance of rain. Wind is always roll of the dice. Could be windy, could be very calm, or anything in between.

https://mailchi.mp/7783e6681059/scca...6?e=d734240aae

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

You can also sign up for Friday test / tune, half or full day.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Thread Information