Liked: 8

Default So let's talk about fuel.

I've searched this but nothing really came up.
    What does everyone use for fuel?
    I know 110 is the standard and that several manufacturers sell it (VP, Sunoco etc).
    I've also heard some people using Avgas(110 low lead). For the guys using Avgas have you run into
    Any problems? I'm told if you get caught with it you can be fined because so one is legally
    Supposed to be in possession of it.

Which fuel has worked better everyone?

Liked: 298

I have used super unleaded as well as 90 ethanol free but lately using AV gas. There are small airports near me that fortunately do not have fences around them and since I fly I actually have a tail number to enter at the pump.

As for against the law to poses AV gas I think you are stretching that. If you use it in a street vehicle states can get pissy since you didn't pay the fuel tax which by the way pays for those roads you drive on. I used to live in MD in DC area and went to a local airport and talked to the manager he he welcomed me to come since he was happy for the business and turn over of supply. He said he also sold it in drums that the drag racers would come and fill up.

It is a good fuel and only slightly more expensive than supper unleaded and is designed to sit in plane tanks for very extended periods without degrading. If you can get it works fine.

Ed

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 33

Most guys in the Northeast use avgas, which is 100 octane low-lead. Not only is it meant for long term storage, but when it evaporates from the float bowl in your carb it leaves NO residue.

Whoever said you're not supposed to have it is full of beans. It is completely legal to use as long as you don't use it on PUBLIC roads. Off-road(track) use is perfectly legal. Any pilot or airport official who says it is illegal to use, possess, or sell for non-aviation usage is WRONG.

The 100 octane is certainly unnecessary for our low hp and low compression engines. But as Ed said, it is not that expensive and the longevity of storage is a BIG advantage. The no-residue thing is a big plus.

The last time I bought some in October it was $6.20 a gallon.

I also used 91 octane non-ethanol for a weekend. Just make sure you NEVER put ethanol fuel in your fuel cell, the bladder is NOT designed for it.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

If anyone questions you about buying AVGAS, just say you're putting it in an ultralight.

For fenced airfields, go there after the FBO closes and the airport staff are gone for the day. Find the personnel gate closest to the office or a pilot's lounge. It will likely have a punch-pin lock. The combo will be written on the airfield side of the fence. This is to allow pilots who land and go out in town the ability to get back to their planes. A stick mirror or a cell phone camera should capture it for you.

I use NCC1701 for the tail number.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

In Connecticut, it's not legal to dispense AvGas into a registered motor vehicle but perfectly legal to dispense into a container.
    Become friendly with your local AvGas dealer and give him/her your phone number and tell them that your perfectly willing to come take their fuel when they have to pump their tanks out which is on some kind of yearly schedule. A friend of mine just scored 150 gallons of free 100LL
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 114

My local FBO is fine with selling it and even suggests stopping by before winter to fill up my mowers, garden tractor, tiller, etc...

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 121

What about cutting stuff like VP110 with clear/ethanol-free gas from a pump?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    My local FBO is fine with selling it and even suggests stopping by before winter to fill up my mowers, garden tractor, tiller, etc...
    I do this with everything I own that's going to sit for more than a month.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPip View Post
    The 100 octane is certainly unnecessary for our low hp and low compression engines.
    One thing I would clarify on this... is that the high octane fuels in our engines absolutely do help, if your builder sets everything up for it.
    We have tried all sorts of fuels in my engine, and we keep coming back to AvGas or high end race fuel in the end. You can crank a TON of timing into it, which translates into big top end speed. Enough so that coupled with the right exhaust, you get guys whining & crying that you are cheating.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    You can crank a TON of timing into it, which translates into big top speed.
    Thanks, I’ve wondered about this very thing.

I’d ask for a number, but would prefer degrees over weight.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Thanks, I’ve wondered about this very thing.

I’d ask for a number, but would prefer degrees over weight.
    ha, well... on cool/cold days, we have run over 40, but that put oil just over 250 on my own. it was unstoppable on top end, but we get killed off slower corners.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Thanks for that, Matt.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 29

Default 100ll

I use 100LL, had been using a small but fenced airport, just ask the front desk of the company running the fuel for access, they open the gate for me. Insert CC, use car number for tail number & on my way. Moved & new airport has no fence, the fuel operator doesn't staff an office so I just drive up to self serve, insert card, car number.

100LL doesn't have additives that are destructive to our fuel system (bladder & carb), shelf life of a few years so it stores well. Current price is $5.19 a gal
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Used to use 100ll in our Vees and still use it in all the small engines. Keeps the insides clean. If you ever end up at the Runoffs, make sure that you get it all out of the fuel cell before you put in the required fuel.

Thread Information