Liked: 323

Default Managing Grease / Dispenser

I have a grease that is only available in tube. It is the larger tube that is designed to go into a grease gun. My application of this grease is not through a grease zerk. So, I don't want to put the grease in a grease gun. I am looking for a method of getting the grease out of tube and making it easier to use by hand. Anyone have this same issue and come up with a homemade solution or is there some sort of caulking gun and head available that I am unable to find by using Google ?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I'd find a reusable container with a snap lid and use a caulk gun to dispense the grease into it (if the plunger fits)

A mess for sure...

I'm betting that HF or a dollar store has a really cheap caulk gun you could use for this and just dispose of it after.

Liked: 22

Talenti frozen gelato and sorbet comes in clear plastic one pint cylindrical containers with a screw on top. Perfect for CV and wheel bearing grease. It can be scooped out of the tube using a long knife like a 'cake frosting knive or spatula'.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 323

I have a friend that still gets his coffee in the metal cans. He is a 'shop guy' and his own form of 'organization freak'. He has dozens of the coffee cans color coded and named setting all over the place. He has offered a dozen coffee cans to me, so I have plenty for trial and error. Problem with these is that the lids just do not stand the test of time.

I put one of these in my basket as a potential plan for transfer & storage. But, I was thinking there may be some kind of dispenser other than a grease gun that I wasn't aware of.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Por...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

For most grease tubes, I use as is and just cut the tube down as I go along so to keep the grease within reach.

a medial store might have plastic syringes of sizes for wound irrigation that might work

ChrisZ

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1868

Why make this complicated? Just use a grease gun, and pump out what you need into your hand or on something like a can lid. The grease gun will keep the tube sealed from having junk accidentally contaminating it. I have some special grease that has been in a grease gun for over 30 years now, and is still perfect.

9. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Why make this complicated? Just use a grease gun, and pump out what you need into your hand or on something like a can lid. The grease gun will keep the tube sealed from having junk accidentally contaminating it. I have some special grease that has been in a grease gun for over 30 years now, and is still perfect.
    30 years for a tube of grease where the oil doesn't separate from the thickener is amazing.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    I have a grease needle like this on a small grease gun.
    https://www.amazon.com/AutoWanderer-...dp/B0BWRGL51S/
    https://www.amazon.com/Plews-Edelman...dp/B01F2RBOB4/
    remove the hose and zerk from the gun and attached the needle directly.

Yeah, loading is messy, but it works cleanly after that.

Now I saw this...... damn you...
    https://www.amazon.com/ARES-53010-Pu...dp/B09454XH5C/

Here's one for $11 - can you say 'stocking stuffer'?
    https://www.amazon.com/Astro-101-Gre.../dp/B000FMK7FG

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I also cut tubes down and I use the Talenti containers for paint. The cut tubes get a little grody over time. I'm sure I could print a good cap system.

Liked: 278

A wooden tongue depresser and keep cutting the tube down as needed

15. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 14

Default Astro 101 mini grease gun

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    I have a grease that is only available in tube. It is the larger tube that is designed to go into a grease gun. My application of this grease is not through a grease zerk. So, I don't want to put the grease in a grease gun. I am looking for a method of getting the grease out of tube and making it easier to use by hand. Anyone have this same issue and come up with a homemade solution or is there some sort of caulking gun and head available that I am unable to find by using Google ?
    Just another item that someone can get you for Christmas, for that racer that is hard to buy for.
    One of my race shop mentors had two of these Astro 101 mini grease guns, one had never seize and the other had CV grease in it
    A clean handy tool, that I have since bought for myself.

But saying that, many of the guys have given you cheap and easy ideas.

Thread Information