Liked: 10

Default What is the story of RT5 Pod evolution?

Hey Everybody,

Who knows what each evolutionary step of RT5 side pod design is worth in speed?

I've got an 82 with original flat sided pods.

How many tenths are the 86 waisted pods worth? 2? 5? 10???

What exactly was the problem with the 87/88 Pods - I read somewhere that they were "too good". What did that mean?

I'm asking myself if I need to go to the later pods. Naturally I "think" I need them, but I'm trying to Think some of this stuff thru harder and not spend thousands of dollars for hundredths of seconds - you know

Thanks,

Scott

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 95

“Too good” may very well mean the created too much down force at the expense of drag. From what I understand that was what my Anson suffered from.

Liked: 10

Ok, I found that old thread, from SEVENTEEN YEARS Ago, in which Charles Warner said:

"As a quick reply to one of your issues, the sidepods are known as the flat side pod variety. They were de rigeur up to the change to coke bottle shape in 1986. Most cars were retrofitted with 1986 pods as they produced more downforce. (As an aside, the 1987 variation of rear suspension and pods produced too much downforce and cars were retrofitted with 1986 units.) The flat pods are quicker in a straight line by far and, IMO, better looking. Keep them."

Doesn't quantify an answer to the question but suggests maybe:

Early Flat Sided Pods - Good for Road America
    86 Waisted Pods - Good for Sears Point

Alright, I'm done overthinking this. And anyway do I really want a car that can be driven flat thru Sears T10 too easily? No...Whay!

;P

Scott

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information