Liked: 313

Default Rollin Butler closing

I saw a post that Rollin is closing shop. So I went to Cricket Farms website and he says he’s lost his lease and closing up.
    I assume this is all new news, but most of the internet doesn’t do date-lines.

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    I saw a post that Rollin is closing shop. So I went to Cricket Farms website and he says he’s lost his lease and closing up.
    I assume this is all new news, but most of the internet doesn’t do date-lines.
    Yes.. Rollin has until 12/31/23 to clear out his shop. The Tech school down the street has bought the property so it can expand the school. Rollin is on the loosing end of that deal. He's been there around 40 years.. maybe even more. Finding new shop space and the amount of stuff that has to be moved just isn't a job that he wants to tackle at this point in his life. I'm not happy about it, but can certainly understand.

I would 'kinda' like to move myself (to not be 'so remote'), but the job of moving all my racing stuff is staggering... so we don't go there...

I manage his website, so will make sure that I add a YEAR to that info..
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Oh, that’s just sad. Another of the old guard, and a great guy.

He took a good hour with me last year. I kept saying “Rollin, I should let you get back to paying work,” but his passions and good nature wouldn’t allow it. He knew his working years were soon to end, but I’d really hoped that final day came only on his terms — and nobody else’s.

Selfishly, Rollin’s in a tiny, remaining group of important people to me: the drivers I wrote about in my magazine about the 1975 Runoffs. One goal at VIR this year was finding the few left, and handing them what’s now a 48 year-old remnant of mutual glory days. I’d hoped Rollin was there for this very thing, but the only ones who were were Dick Colburn and Jeff Miller, and Jim Brookshire, Jr. on behalf of his Dad.

I tribute one fine guy here, and hope some extra retirement time turns out to be exactly what’s best for him.

With Highest Regards to Rollin, Cricket Farm Motors, and Butler Engines. I’d really hoped to run one if we do indeed get to race.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Well that's sad. Probably explains why he hasn't gotten around to answering my e-mail.

The tech school ought to pull their head out and work a deal to have him mentor their students instead of closing him down.

On the other hand, the man deserves a retirement.

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

Yes, this pretty recent news (couple of weeks).

Rollin is a Legend and builds flyers, I've never seen an engine that left the CFM shop and was just ok.

He always puts good effort into all of his work, and maximized everything - for everyone!

His motors in slippery cars always turned heads, they were always compliant, and have been torn down by qualified inspectors a number of times.

If you've ever dealt with Rollin - it would be easy to tell that he isn't doing this to run a business, and for the amount of time that he puts into his engines - one can only come to the conclusion that Rollin wants to put the fastest product out there as possible!

CFM aka "crazy frickin motors"

9. The following 7 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I have several motors from Rollin, always been happy with his work since moving east in 2006. He was always helpful, willing to make arrangements, including knowing the cheapest way to ship the engine! Top to bottom service, a great one-man show and a loss to the FF (and general engine building) community.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

The motor he last built for me between the 2016 and 2017 seasons made 154 HP (aluminum head and short rod). It now has 40 race hours on the bottom end, and about 40 hours of warm-up. The hot leak down I ran earlier this week was 4%, 7%, 4%, and 6%. Still makes 56 psi of OP at 210 degrees and 6000 rpm, and 14 psi at idle.

I was hoping to send him my new block and parts to make a long rod.

I'd pay good money for his build notes and process....

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Ohh, that's a loss. Rollin is a super guy, and one heck of a talent. I have "stress tested" his work more than I like to admit, and never had a reason to complain. I hope he enjoys his retirement. I think maybe now he can finish that corvette that was in the shop?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 3787

Great guy. Always helped me even when i was broke.

I am laughing, because about year 2000 he told me he was "about to retire".

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 18

Default I stopped by his shop

I recently stopped by his shop to retrieve some items left languishing about there waiting for a commitment. Instead of worrying about his stuff, he was working at the last moments to build customer engines. He has always been stellar, and he has been great to competitors and our sport. I really like his style of communication, that wonderful southern soft spoken, under-stated, to the point, with few but accurate words.
    He joked about making the folks there at the airport come over with a Chinook chopper to lift his corvette out of the building!

I asked, he is not planning on spending his retirement fishing. He did not opine further. I wish him happiness.

He will be greatly missed.

Alan

18. The following 4 users liked this post:

Christmas Wish:
    Rollin opens a VW bus shop, since all the good ones I knew of are gone.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Christmas Wish:
    Rollin opens a VW bus shop, since all the good ones I knew of are gone.
    One remaining fv engine builder with bus capability : Ronnie Chuck in Redwood City Ca. He still daily drives a type 2 dropside.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for that, Bob!

I’ve heard his name in both genres; but honestly thought it was two guys.

Appreciate it.

Liked: 5

Default Rollin Retiring

I was at his shop on Dec. 5 to pickup my engine which is sadly one of the last Cricket Farm Motors. I have been running Rollin Butler engines since the mid eighties. I can proudly say that every race and championship that I won was with one of his power plants
    .A GREAT GUY and long time friend he will really be missed by many.. He built me a 190 hp 2.0 liter for a new project.
    Last edited by chuck cecil; 12.28.23 at 10:49 AM.
    Asphalt is for Racing Grass is for Passing
    CEC Racing RF96 #97
    Chuck Cecil

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 11

I live about 4 miles from Rollin's shop and it is so nondescript I have wondered for years if he was still doing motors. Interesting that he is being pushed out, but the Donaldson Center Airport's industrial footprint continues to grow. In the past year in fact F16 fighters for export sale to allies are being manufactured there by Lockheed Martin. As are many of your favorite high-performance Michelin tires, including all tires for the C8 Corvette.

Enjoy your retirement Rollin.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 1

Default Wonderful human and great racer;

Very sat do hear - he was a true gentleman and will be missed. I hope he finally finished that Corvette! I have been out years and miss the SCCA scene badly - maybe Ill get going again - great to see your names.

Best to all and especially Rollin, Joe Riley

Thread Information