Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default info on mid Florida autocross

I have a Swift BD1 and have been racing SARRC for decades, but now I can no longer continue to race. However, I really hate the thought of selling the car. I may still be able to autocross, but haven't done that in 40 years, and never in Florida, so I am out of touch. I saw "The Firm" and a spot near Orlando as sites for autocross which are close enough to get to. I'd like to know how it works, how many events per year at these sites, and how much track time is typically available during an event. I am 67 so long periods shagging cones in the heat doesn't seem advisable. I know the competitors have to staff the event, and would want to do my part, but not sure if other duties are available. As I can no longer drive the RV, my A/C and facilities will go when it sells. What facilities are available at the sites? Also, are the events typically one or two day events. Is there much competition in the class where FFs would run [CM?}? Gears and clutch issues come to mind, and camber / tire choices are also an unknown. I have the small clutch and spec radial Hoosiers and the requisite camber, which I suspect won't be competitive. Suggestions?
    If someone who is familiar with the local scene has a moment to answer these questions, I would be grateful.
    Thanks in advance,

Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 309

Default Solo Stuff...

I've been running a DB1 in Solo (CM) for nearly two decades; with the right set up, it's a very capable car. That set up is based on the Hoosier R20 which, in FF sizes, has been somewhat difficult to source in 2023. That said, if you're looking to just enjoy the car, I would go the street radial route (i.e. Toyo/Yoko/etc) and utilize the lowest 1st you have in your inventory.

As a class, CM participation (nationally) is down but there are pockets where it is still popular. I cannot speak for Central Florida.

Fellow ApexSpeed member Tom Buckman (tombu-mi) runs CFR events in the winter months so hopefully he add his comments on sites/facilities/etc. A recent photo of Tom and his F500 (FM) at a CFR event:

Take care,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckman-FM.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	109473  
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 10

Default Hi

I'm Tom. I've been running autocross in Florida for almost 20 years in the winter months. There are several options depending on where you live and how often you want to run. There's the Central Florida Region, the Buccaneer Region, and the Martin Sports Car Club, plus other groups I have not run with.

The FIRM is a really fun track in Starke, a little over an hour north of me. All three of these groups run there. The Central Florida Region and the Martin Club will sometimes run at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. Martin also runs in Tavares at the Lake Tech parking lot. All of these sites have restroom facilities and often have a food truck in attendance.

I'm 74 years old and can no longer run, which you need to do for some job assignments, so I let the group know in registration and I am given an appropriate "old man" job.

I run in FMod and I will admit that the mod classes are lightly subscribed, but you also run for best raw time and index (pax) time.
    Over the many years, I have made good friends in these groups and everyone has been friendly and welcoming. Plus, it's always fun to get FTD (Fastest Time of the Day) and beat a lot of guys half our age in Corvettes and Porsches.

I hope I answered at least some of your questions. Feel free to PM me and I really hope to see you out when they release the next year's schedule in late December-ish.
    Last edited by tombu-mi; 12.07.23 at 9:21 PM.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 10

I just read your post again. Each of these clubs run 10 or more events per year, usually about 1 per month. You usually get about 5 runs, sometimes more. Most of the events are one day, if there's a two day event, you can choose to run either or both. There's also a National Tour in the spring and fall, they used to run at the South Georgia Motorsports Park in Adel Georgia, but they now run in Moultrie, Georgia. The season is just ending, but they will begin again after the holidays. I head north in early May, but the Central Florida Region also runs on the infield on, I believe, a kart track at Daytona. Unfortunately, we are always gone by then. Chris is the man for CMod setup info.
    Last edited by tombu-mi; 12.07.23 at 9:20 PM.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Many thanks for the information. I am in the Villages, so close to the firm and orange county sites. I will probably try some of their events this spring and see how it goes. The time on track seems short to a road racer, but I recall we had a lot of fun autocrossing back in the day. Thanks again,
    Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 43

Hi Jim

Welcome to Florida.

I live in Ocala, not far from you. I've been autocrossing since 1981, when Howard Duncan started the Central Florida Region SOLO program. As I write this I'm in Daytona working as a flag marshal for the IMSA test days. (Plenty of opportunities if flagging interests you, the ROAR before the 24, the Rolex, St Pete Grand Prix and 12 Hr of Sebring, plus the Miami F1 race.)

CFR has 3 road race weekends at Daytona, we autocross on the kart track in the infield of the speedway during those weekends. We run one direction on Saturday, the other direction on Sunday. No cones except on the apexes.

Richard Fickes, runs a SOLO Vee in CM In CFR.

I'm 72, drive a modified FF in BM, and work as a SOLO Safety Steward. We do have several work positions that do not entail shagging cones. BTW, my race trailer is air conditioned.

If you are available, please join Tom Buckman, a couple of other autocrossers and myself for lunch at 1pm Tuesday December 19 at Eatons Beach Sandbar and Grill in Weirsdale. We would love to have you join us.

Hope to see you the 19th.

Dave

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks for the invitation. If I can make it work, I would enjoy that.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 553

Welcome to FL!

I'm in Palm Coast (south of St Augustine, north of Daytona), I've been to both Daytona and the Firm (and Sebring). All are very fun, and there seem to be many Time Trial-type events.

Roebling isn't too far, either.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

12. The following members LIKED this post:

"If you are available, please join Tom Buckman, a couple of other autocrossers and myself for lunch at 1pm Tuesday December 19 at Eatons Beach Sandbar and Grill in Weirsdale. We would love to have you join us."

Many thanks, but not in the cards today. Hopefully will see you at an autocross in the spring.

Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Thread Information