Liked: 2

Default Newbie looking for help

First, Thank you to everyone providing information in the forum!

I am in the southern California area (orange county) and just purchased a 2004 PFM. I've fallen in love with open wheel racing and love what the PFM offers. I am looking to 1.) engage in ongoing practice sessions at tracks within a few hours drive to improve my driving ability and become more familiar with the car and 2.) when I feel ready and comfortable, to enter some FA race events.

I've been trying to find someone (s) to 1. provide some track side coaching and 2. assist with track preparation/mechanical.

Everyone (Primarily race shops) I've talked to so far has moved on from PFM to other types of racing and are also booked solid with whatever team cars they are currently running.

Does anyone know some good folks that might be able to help me in these areas?

Thank you

Liked: 1108

Not a friend, never used the shop, not sure how close to you… but did speak at length with Ethan and his wife and they drip passion and trustworthiness.

That they may be Packer fans is a great sign as well.

https://www.shippertracingservices.com/
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 246

Default Sabina

Give Vince a call at Sabina Motorsports in Anaheim. He currently runs a couple PFM’s ( both SCCA and vintage). Todd

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

you might also sign up for the University of VARA at Buttonwillow in a few weeks

7. The following members LIKED this post:

What and when is that, Rick?

Default Thank you!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Not a friend, never used the shop, not sure how close to you… but did speak at length with Ethan and his wife and they drip passion and trustworthiness.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

You’re Welcome, go have a blast in that thing!

Liked: 246

[QUOTE=E1pix;659328]What and when is that, Rick?

https://www.vararacing.com/university-of-vara

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks!

To summarize what's on the website:

UofV is one of the bigger drivers schools out there. Right now its the 21st and 22nd of January at Buttonwillow. We usually get 120+ cars that we divide into 4 groups - red and yellow, who have no previous experience, blue, which has some track day experience, and green for those people formerly licensed that need a brush-up before going out again. Cars in the green group have to be race-prepped and drivers there need full safety gear. Otherwise, all you need is a helmet.

Race-prepped cars are available for rent from Fastlane Racing School (former LBGP Scions)

It's billed as a school, and not timed, so your insurance is usually good.

There's a skidpad session, slalom, and threshold braking, and then multiple sessions on the track. In between sessions there are classroom activities and also discussions with your group leaders. There's limited passing defined to specific areas of the track, but not in the corners. We attempt to put an instructor in the car with every student for on-track sessions. Focus is on improving your track day skills with an eye toward converting some of these folks to vintage racing.

At the end of Sunday, race prepped cars take starts, with , and open passing, and those graduates get their rookie license.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Would an extensive background in karting qualify one for the Blue group?

“Kind of” considering renting a car for this. Our SCCA Vee plans are delayed, and am looking into *possibly* renting a vintage Vee next Spring, for now, so will be asking RMVR about qualifications needed to run a race in Colorado next May.

Hope I’m not barging in on your thread, Robb100!
    Last edited by E1pix; 12.02.23 at 3:37 AM.

Liked: 27

I bought a PFM three years ago as my first formula car. The learning curve was steep but several peeps on this Forum helped me a lot. Maris and I became friends and we went to Willow Springs a couple times. He’s moved to Portugal, Spain so he’s too far away now to help.

Do a Google search for Open Track Racing. They meet every two months at Willow Springs, always on a Wednesday. It’s inexpensive, they have race fuel there and it’s a fun, chill day. I was gonna run my car with them a couple weeks ago but I backed out because it was going to rain.

If you need any help/advice you can email me at michaellorenzi@sbcglobal.net

“Kind of” considering renting a car for this. Our SCCA Vee plans are delayed, and am looking into *possibly* renting a vintage Vee next Spring, for now, so will be asking RMVR about qualifications needed to run a race in Colorado next May.

Perhaps. You submit your experience to Jeanette and she has an "algorithm" to place people. There's no difference in track time or events between groups, just different classroom focus and in blue and green the passing zones tend to open up earlier.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

I almost forgot.

Look at Davefreitasracing.com. He’s in Whittier. Maris took me to his shop a few years ago. Nice and clean small shop with several different types of cars that he was working on. I’ll take my car to him if there’s ever anything I can’t handle on my own

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme1 View Post
    I bought a PFM three years ago as my first formula car. The learning curve was steep but several peeps on this Forum helped me a lot. Maris and I became friends and we went to Willow Springs a couple times. He’s moved to Portugal, Spain so he’s too far away now to help.

Do a Google search for Open Track Racing. They meet every two months at Willow Springs, always on a Wednesday. It’s inexpensive, they have race fuel there and it’s a fun, chill day. I was gonna run my car with them a couple weeks ago but I backed out because it was going to rain.

If you need any help/advice you can email me at michaellorenzi@sbcglobal.net
    Thank you - this is very helpful!

Barge away

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Pfm

I’ve got mega pfm experience. If you fly me out I’ll run you !

March 20 is the next Track Day at Willow Springs. I plan on going with my PFM. If you’re around Robb, meet me there if you want.

Thread Information