Liked: 0

Default 1973 Bobsy Sr-3 / Airheart 2 piston caliper help needed.

In need of some knowledge / help. Trying to get a 1973 Bobsy up and running. My issue is that the car only came with the two rear calipers. They are seemingly very unique Airheart 2 piston calipers. The bolt spacing on the calipers is 2.625” roughly. I have been trying for months to find any kind of alternative brake caliper or a second matching set. The two calipers I have on hand will need restored as the pistons are frozen. I was trying to find a more readily available vintage acceptable caliper that would fit or be adaptable to the magnesium spindles / uprights on the car. I have tried many sets of calipers and can not find any calipers that Would work.

Any thoughts , ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Zachary Buchko

Liked: 182

Quote Originally Posted by Brn2ply7 View Post
    In need of some knowledge / help. Trying to get a 1973 Bobsy up and running. My issue is that the car only came with the two rear calipers. They are seemingly very unique Airheart 2 piston calipers. The bolt spacing on the calipers is 2.625” roughly. I have been trying for months to find any kind of alternative brake caliper or a second matching set. The two calipers I have on hand will need restored as the pistons are frozen. I was trying to find a more readily available vintage acceptable caliper that would fit or be adaptable to the magnesium spindles / uprights on the car. I have tried many sets of calipers and can not find any calipers that Would work.

Any thoughts , ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Zachary Buchko
    Long shot, applehydraulics. For restoration.
    Airhearts possibly used on old midget oval track cars? Indianaopenwheel ?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Several years ago I was able to obtain the "last available" ICP "radical mount" calipers for my SR-3 and then had machiist friend create the bespoke adapters (from the ICP Radial Mounted Caliper to the upright ears).

Sadly, I don't think those particular radial mount calipers are still available. But.. ..perhaps there are similar radial mount calipers avaialbe which, with a custom adpater, can be fitted to your upright's bolt pattern.

Bob Alder,
    Bobsy Registry

P.S. You might join the Bobsy_Talk email groupand ask your question to the Bob_Talk community. They are a pretty savvy bunch.

Liked: 25

Default Bobsy SR3 brakes

Zach

I restored a Bobsy SR6 2 years ago. I used a pair of AP/Lockheed LD20 front calipers. I did have to machine adaptors to fit them to the spindles, which are different than the SR3 spindles. I’m guessing adaptors cloud be used to fit most of the vintage style Formula Ford calipers which should more than adequate for a SR3 as the weight is very similar. These calipers are plentiful and available new from Pegasus

Alternatively you could try to contact Ron Mong, ron@elitefab.com. His dad built the Bobsy,s and he has intimate knowledge of the cars.

Best
    Tom

Thread Information