Liked: 7

Default Fuel cell capacity

Does anyone know the actual capacity of the fuel cell? I've never drained then refilled mine to determine it. The Star Race Cars manual from 2010 says 19 gallons, which I simply cannot believe.

Liked: 530

my 2004 car was 20 gallon tank I believe

Liked: 278

From memory, I think the most I ever managed to pack in was just slightly shy of 19 gallons. (Not enough to go 100 miles at full throttle around The Milwaukee Mile)

Thanks for the quick replies. I am amazed. The tank on my Ram 2500 diesel truck isn't much bigger than that!

Liked: 0

I haven't measured it exactly, but I've got a similar Star Race Car, and the 19-gallon figure does seem a bit high to me too. I'd say it's probably more in the range of 12-15 gallons based on my experience. But it could vary depending on the model and any modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I haven't measured it exactly, but I've got a similar Star Race Car, and the 19-gallon figure does seem a bit high to me too. I'd say it's probably more in the range of 12-15 gallons based on my experience. But it could vary depending on the model and any modifications.
    I assure you that it is far more than 12-15 gallons for the Pro Mazda

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by CSasfai View Post
    Does anyone know the actual capacity of the fuel cell? I've never drained then refilled mine to determine it. The Star Race Cars manual from 2010 says 19 gallons, which I simply cannot believe.
    If you don't know how big it is, how do you know how much is in it during a session, and whether it's enough to get through the session?
    Or do you just top it off each session and carry the weight?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 32

On mine, I believe was common, there is a small tube down thru the cell, so get a clear flexible tube (that tolerates gas) that fits down into that fixed tube. Push the flexible tube down into the cell until it bottoms, cover the top end of the tube so it holds the fuel level in the tube, carefully pull it out and read where the fuel level is in the tube. (you would need to "calibrate" the tube by pumping out the cell, then add a gallon at a time and mark it).

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by starfmguy View Post
    On mine, I believe was common, there is a small tube down thru the cell, so get a clear flexible tube (that tolerates gas) that fits down into that fixed tube. Push the flexible tube down into the cell until it bottoms, cover the top end of the tube so it holds the fuel level in the tube, carefully pull it out and read where the fuel level is in the tube. (you would need to "calibrate" the tube by pumping out the cell, then add a gallon at a time and mark it).
    wood dowel stick with marks is easier.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 123

Default Fuel measurement

The filler neck is curved. A dowel doesn’t work

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Pump the fuel out to measure. That way you don't have to worry about the fuel tower and surge tank. It also tells you how much you can actually pump out (this may or may not be all of the fuel in the cell, it depends on how well you have set up your tower and pick up)

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    If you don't know how big it is, how do you know how much is in it during a session, and whether it's enough to get through the session?
    Or do you just top it off each session and carry the weight?
    I know I need roughly 5 gallons of fuel for a 30 minute session, so I just put that much in before each session. I also occasionally top it off and go a couple sessions before refueling. I only drive for fun, so I don't care about the extra weight. I've also been a pilot and flight instructor for nearly 40 years and there are three things that do a pilot no good: 1) runway behind you, 2) altitude above you, and 2) fuel in the fuel truck. That third one is probably the reason I don't mind more fuel on board than less.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by CSasfai View Post
    I know I need roughly 5 gallons of fuel for a 30 minute session, so I just put that much in before each session. I also occasionally top it off and go a couple sessions before refueling. I only drive for fun, so I don't care about the extra weight. I've also been a pilot and flight instructor for nearly 40 years and there are three things that do a pilot no good: 1) runway behind you, 2) altitude above you, and 2) fuel in the fuel truck. That third one is probably the reason I don't mind more fuel on board than less.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Thread Information