Liked: 4

Default Hoosier vs American Racer; spring rate.

So, finding spring rates is tough. AR responded to me and said they have no data. Hoosier has some data out there, but not for the exact tires we used to run.
    Our series switched from Hoosier to AR and my car isn't happy. So with a lack of data, I'm asking for opinions instead.
    Do you think ARs are softer (lower spring rate) than Hoosiers? Any data you may have is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Rob
    91 Citation

Liked: 2

Default Hoosier Spring Rates

I asked Hoosier for spring rates a while back and they sent me data for 18-20 psi pressures. I used Excel to generate the curve for those points and extrapolated down to 16-17 psi since I heard many were running them at lower pressures. Graph is attached (I hope). Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 490

Default springs

Do not confuse spring rates with wheel rates.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 4

Thanks, any info helps. My car definitely isn't the same on ARs, so I may have to change springs.

Quote Originally Posted by TATaylor View Post
    I asked Hoosier for spring rates a while back and they sent me data for 18-20 psi pressures. I used Excel to generate the curve for those points and extrapolated down to 16-17 psi since I heard many were running them at lower pressures. Graph is attached (I hope). Hope it helps.

Liked: 2

Default Hoosier Tire Spring Rates

I should have used better wording. What Hoosier gave me was the spring rate of the tire at the specified hot pressure and loading.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Another thing that might help is Carroll Smith's "Engineer in your Pocket", which is a handy-dandy little flip book he made. It even has a drawing I made for him!

Anyway, it has a basic car "problems" with several possible causes, which may help you work through improving your car. It's basically Cause-Effect

Not sure who now maintains his site, maybe his son?
    https://www.carrollsmith.com/books/pocketbook.html
    (nevermind, just goes to Amazon)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Calculations are for establishing a baseline.
    You already have a baseline established by racing the car previously with a setup that you seemed happy with.
    It is time to go to the track with some springs and drive the car!
    10% softer and 10% stiffer will establish the desired direction. Based on your commentary, I would try softer first and perhaps you won't even try stiffer. If your AR bars have enough range, they may be able to steer you in the direction you need to go.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Thread Information