Liked: 1

Default Car Hauler Forum

I am in the market for a new trailer. Looking for a bumper pull 24 footer and was wondering what people's experiences have been. I had a Pace trailer for about 20 years and it held up well but time for an update. Really not interested in spending $40,000+ so looknig for something in the $20,000 to $25,000 range. I have looked at Cross, Bravo and Stealth. ATC and InTech are beautiful but exceed the $ limit. What are people's experiences in terms of build, warranty and company responsiveness?

Jeff L

Liked: 298

Hi Jeff, you might check out South West. I bought a 24' tag along but only 6.5' wide for the aero behind the tow vehicle. In 2005 I think I paid $6500. It is still being used by the guys I sold it to.

Ed

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I can't help with new trailers but it occurred to me that if I had a trailer that I liked and had modified the way that was functional to my needs, I would be more inclined to restore/refurbish it than get a completely new one.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

I have a Cross trailer and are very happy with it. It’s a bit heavier than my last one but it is very well built. The side and roof studs etc are 1.5 inch rather than the thinner lighter trailers. It tows really well too. Just my 2c.
    Graham

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

I had a Sundowner (all-aluminum) that I was very happy with.
    Current ones might meet your budget. I got mine as a two year old unsold leftover.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I had a Sundowner (all-aluminum) that I was very happy with.
    Current ones might meet your budget. I got mine as a two year old unsold leftover.

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    I have a Cross trailer and are very happy with it. It’s a bit heavier than my last one but it is very well built. The side and roof studs etc are 1.5 inch rather than the thinner lighter trailers. It tows really well too. Just my 2c.
    Thank you very much for your comment. Jefff

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 13

I had a Featherlite 4926 around 2020 and was quite happy with it. Might be worth adding to your options. Mine was bare bones and I paid well under $20k for it new, so with your budget you’d have plenty of money left over to add cabinets, a winch, overhead storage, and whatever else you want in it.

Liked: 9

I also have a Cross trailer and am very happy with it. 8 seasons on it and it is still like new, very well built. The weatherproof wood they use on the floor is amazing.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Trailer questions

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. A couple of follow up questions:
    1. V nose versus flat front. I need cabinets in the trailer. Anyone do "V" with cabinets? Any problems or concerns?. Does the "V" really improve the aero and therefore the gas mileage?
    2. Extended A frame. Some are suggesting added length to the hitch. Mine is currently 45" from ball to flat front or 70" from ball to main frame square under the trailer. Does the extension add or subtract from stability while towing?

Thanks

Jeff

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Loughead View Post
    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. A couple of follow up questions:
    1. V nose versus flat front. I need cabinets in the trailer. Anyone do "V" with cabinets? Any problems or concerns?. Does the "V" really improve the aero and therefore the gas mileage?
    2. Extended A frame. Some are suggesting added length to the hitch. Mine is currently 45" from ball to flat front or 70" from ball to main frame square under the trailer. Does the extension add or subtract from stability while towing?

Thanks

Jeff
    1. I would evaluate your needs, layout, etc. before nose configuration. Unless you are constantly crossing the country, the 'savings' in fuel v living with a compromised layout just isn't worth it. Also, v-nose tends to encourage more tongue weight.

I asked a similar Q years ago: https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?72096

2. In theory, yes - but the critical measurement for stability is tongue to axles and then weight distribution. Also, a lot of trailers have spread axles available which improves stability but makes tight turns harder on tires.

I tow with 2 different trucks. On an older Tundra I use a weight distribution hitch which improved things drastically.
    On a 3/4 ton truck there is no need - except for the California law which no one really knows about.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 231

I think it makes more sense to buy a bare bones quality aluminum (which can be had at or near your $25k figure) over a fancier steel one and you can always easily add cabinets etc over time. A V Nose improving fuel economy is at best nominal and at worst, completely false. It does technically add side profile though which adds to the effects of wind resistance pushing the trailer sideways, and is more challenging to efficiently use the space. In my opinion, skip the V.

Adding distance to the hitch adds stability but also will reduce fuel economy and probably by more than the V nose or not. The idea is the closer / more continuous of a shape, the better the overall economy - this is why goosenecks get dramatically better fuel economy despite being heavier. Unless you are towing with an RV and very worried about corner clearance, I think the standard tongue is the right choice.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

I agree with skipping the V-nose. There are many comments on having one makes the rigs significantly less stable when passing or getting passed by large trucks. And it's not only the increase in side area, but also the low pressure on the downwind side of the V as compared to its windward side which, per things I have read, makes it worse than a flat nose trailer of the same OA length.

A trailer with a rounded nose does not have that issue and can help fuel economy especially if it partially fills the gap to the tow vehicle.
    Dave Weitzenhof

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    ...Also, a lot of trailers have spread axles available which improves stability but makes tight turns harder on tires...
    Spread axles also make trailer rake a lot more important than a normal 2-axle trailer to keep the axle loads fairly equal.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 44

I have a 16 ft V nose. I do not see any benefit fuel economy wise, nor do I see any adverse effects wind wise. Really it tows quite nicely.I also use a 3/4 ton van and a friction anti sway device. I like the added space. I have shelves though and no cabinets. Everything that needs a cabinet goes in the van. I've towed with a half ton truck and would recommend against it.

Liked: 799

[QUOTE=Jeff Loughead;659301]
    1. V nose versus flat front. I need cabinets in the trailer. Anyone do "V" with cabinets? Any problems or concerns?/QUOTE]

My Sundowner had a mild V nose. I learned after buying that the V angle isn't standard across all trailer manufacturers, nor do all cabinet makers make components for all the various angles out there, limiting your choices.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information