Liked: 3

Default Head and Piston Cleaning

I have a few sets of heads that I need to clean this winter and on one of my engines I got a lot of carbon build up on the pistons. Besides sand blasting, does any one have some slick ways to clean them? Right now I hose them down 2+2 and then scotch bite. If carbon deposits are really stubborn I get out the die grinder with a scotch brite pad.

I usually leave the pistons in the engine when I clean them. Does anyone remove them?

Any recipes for an Uncle Fester’s magic brew to clean with?
    Last edited by Frank62; 10.31.23 at 5:40 AM.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I consider carbon on the piston top as bonus compression so don't worry about it. I do worry about the piston ring lands, especially if there is carbon buildup on the piston top.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank62 View Post
    I have a few sets of heads that I need to clean this winter and on one of my engines I got a lot of carbon build up on the pistons. Besides sand blasting, does any one have some slick ways to clean them? Right now I hose them down 2+2 and then scotch bite. If carbon deposits are really stubborn I get out the die grinder with a scotch brite pad.

I usually leave the pistons in the engine when I clean them. Does anyone remove them?

Any recipes for an Uncle Fester’s magic brew to clean with?
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

I used to use spray gasket remover. Spray it on, let it sit and wipe it off. I don’t know if the current formula is strong enough.

Carburetor cleaner is too “runny” but you soak a rag or similar and let it sit on the piston.

Have not tried oven cleaner but heard it might work.

bring the piston to TDC and don’t let anything sit too long.

ChrisZ

Liked: 28

Default Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner

Get Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. It will come right off and the parts will look brand new. I've used it multiple times and it works great.

Thread Information