Thread: Telemetry Data?

Liked: 7

Default Telemetry Data?

I've been an avid high end sim racer for a few years and use Telemetry Data to learn new cars and tracks. I'll be joining the Formula Ford arena next season and I'm curious if the vintage guys are using any type of real time data logging or do most guys stick with analog seat of the pants driving?

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by scottjk View Post
    I've been an avid high end sim racer for a few years and use Telemetry Data to learn new cars and tracks. I'll be joining the Formula Ford arena next season and I'm curious if the vintage guys are using any type of real time data logging or do most guys stick with analog seat of the pants driving?
    AiM is the most popular system throughout amateur racing. A cool thing with it is that you can get AiM data from AC, RF2, and iRacing that works with their analysis software (Race Studio 3) and then compare it to real life data.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Default I do

I love my EVO4s with smartycam for vintage FF racing. https://youtu.be/VHhT3tDmwjM?si=D6GP4l07Terglkr4 It is really helpful both on track and off.

Cheers,
    Scott

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Nice! I just upped my iRacing account after a 2 year Hiatus. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    AiM is the most popular system throughout amateur racing. A cool thing with it is that you can get AiM data from AC, RF2, and iRacing that works with their analysis software (Race Studio 3) and then compare it to real life data.

Which AiM unit do you recommend for a tight Formula Ford cockpit?

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post

Oh hell yeah... exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fairchild View Post
    I love my EVO4s with smartycam for vintage FF racing. https://youtu.be/VHhT3tDmwjM?si=D6GP4l07Terglkr4 It is really helpful both on track and off.

Cheers,
    Scott

Which Smartycam are you using? Sport? What size lens?

Cheers,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottjk; 10.18.23 at 6:49 PM.

Which Smartycam are you using? Sport? What size lens?
    I'll check my specs tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm not sure off the top of my head

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

The MXm is the smallest followed by the MXS. The MXm is also cheaper. If you can't fit either of those, you can go with an Evo4S or Evo5 w/ the GS Dash.

For cameras, I would recommend the SmartyCam 3 GP. Field of view is sort of like asking what engine oil. I personally like the 67 the best as it matches my vision the best, the 84 is most popular, and some people swear that the 120 is the best and required for open wheel cars (that is a rare opinion though). You could do a SC3 Sport if budget is a concern and you don't mind the slightly large body in the air.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for all the great input. Talked to Bryc at AiM today. Super cool that I can immediately start using the RaceStudio3 with my iRacing data. What a great tool!

It struck me today that I'm joining vintage Formula Ford because of 'VINTAGE'. I want to look at steam guages... not video displays.

I'm going EVO4s and SmartyCam Sport 87.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Check with your Vintage organization. Some Vintage groups don't want Data on VFFs. Neither of my VFFs have data acq but the rest do!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Specs

I'll check my specs tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm not sure off the top of my head
    Camera is a SmartyCam GP HD with an 84° lens. As for the display, it takes some getting used to and I like it as much as I dislike it.

Pros:
    1) Display pages are easily customizable. This means I can have pages forPractices, another for qualifying, another for, race, and yet another for shop quick checks (brake bias, steering angle, etc.)

2) Individual shift lights, warning lights, and alarms. Again, totally customizable (I really like 'hot lap' and 'slow lap' alarms as qualifying used to be a real
    weakness for me). You can make warning messages like: WT at 215° "check gauges, running warm", WT at 225° (or wherever) "COME IN... HOT"

3)Easily load shift lights, gear ratios, alarms, and pages for different tracks

4) Predictive lap times, best lap, session run time, etc. These really help strategically plan when to use your equipment and when to be more conservative (or come in the pits if qualifying).

5) startup screen logo, or motivational phrase

6) you can put it in the 'best' location as it's not fighting with many other gauges (which often get missed because they're hidden) for valuable dash real estate

Cons:

1) Takes some getting used to

2)RPM display sucks for those of us who really like a needle

3) Doesn't look cool

4) Not vintage or true to the car's original intent. But parking them, or not driving them hard also violates this as well, so most all of us are somewhat guilty here.

5) I haven't had any problems (since 2017), but the mechanic in me doesn't like adding anything that isn't more reliable than what it's replacing.

Hopefully that's clear as mud
    Scott

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information