Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 3

For Sale [FS] 1983 Ralt RT-4 4age ready to race

1983 Ralt RT-4 Formula Atlantic, Chassis 361
    Pro series in 87 and 88. Club raced early 90's. I bought it in 2018 and slowly rebuilt it over the past 5 years. It is race ready. Test and tune only on new 1600 Toyota engine. Multiple gear sets. 3 sets wheels including new set of BBS wheels. Two sets of new tires. New fire system. New MXL2 Aim dash. New professional paint. Tall man roll hoop. 6'2". Spare noses, front and rear wings. New unlocked transponder. Homologation cert and SCCA log book. $45,000. Located in Kansas City. Contact Chris at 913-481-5033. Health forces sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kadunkadunk; 02.16.24 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Reduced Price.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Reduced Price, $49,900.

Liked: 15

Default History of RT4-361

Could you give the names of owners from the log book?
    Also the SCCA registration stamp

This car is shown in Ralt records as going to Ralt American for Hubert Phipps in 1983
    Phipps was Michael Andretti's team-mate that season but had a huge accident in testing when he collided with a S2000 at Sears Point.

Interested to know what became of the car after that

If you want to verify identity of car I have fuel cell number, tub and gearbox numbers in Ralt records, though doubt the tub is original if it's the Phipps car

Thanks. Chris

5. The following members LIKED this post:

First issued to Jerry Wagner, 4/10/1987. Then Mike Studniki, 4/13/1991. First race was Road Atlanta, then Mosport, Memphis then Glen National. The SCCA Logbook number is 20-566. The Transmission number is 1570.

Quote Originally Posted by kadunkadunk View Post
    First issued to Jerry Wagner, 4/10/1987. Then Mike Studniki, 4/13/1991. First race was Road Atlanta, then Mosport, Memphis then Glen National. The SCCA Logbook number is 20-566. The Transmission number is 1570.
    Thanks!!

This is most puzzling, and that's even before we get to the four years between the car's arrival in the US and it getting a SCCA log book.
    I can identify most of the Ralts in the pro series of 1987, and at Road Atlanta in April there are only two, the 83 models of Jeremy Hill and Kenneth Smith that are mysteries. But Hill was a Canadian, from Ontario, and Smith from New Jersey. Which doesn't help explain a Milwaukee region stamp issued two days before the race. Also, Hill was using a RT4 in mid 86, and we'd expect it to get a SCCA pro stamp at that point if it didn't already have a SCCA registration. (Assuming he has the same car in 86 and 87)

I'm thinking that Jerry Wagner might have been an entrant rather than a racer. I have no record of anyone of that name racing a Ralt.
    My money is on Wagner owning it, and running it out of Milwaukee, for Hill, but that's a bit of a hunch rather than definite.

The gearbox is also interesting. Gearboxes rarely stay with the original car, especially in multi-car teams. But this box started life on an Australian RT4, chassis 353, which disappears after the end of 1985. Most Aussie Ralts have fully known histories because once there they never left. If they did leave, when F.Atlantic finished in Australia at the end of 86, they headed for the US.

I know that extracting fuel cells from Ralt RT3-4-5s is one of the least fun things you can do, though marginally more fun than putting them back in, but it would be most interesting to know what the fuel cell is on this car. Also, there should be a stamp on the top right corner of the front bulkhead with an Arch Motors tub number on it.

Does the car have a Ralt chassis plate, or is the number just written in the log book?

Cheers
    Chris

8. The following members LIKED this post:

I'll look for the stamped number. The chassis had a plate on the left side.

The AM Number is 83 3-1. I found another mention of a different chassis number, 353.

Quote Originally Posted by kadunkadunk View Post
    The AM Number is 83 3-1. I found another mention of a different chassis number, 353.
    That's the original tub for RT4-361.
    How is the 353 number shown in the log book?

Liked: 1108

Chris, if it helps, know that Jeremy Hill is a member of this forum.

Thanks as always for what you do, and Best to Allen.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Chris, if it helps, know that Jeremy Hill is a member of this forum.

Thanks as always for what you do, and Best to Allen.

Did not know that. Just found him and sent him a PM

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_T360 View Post
    I know that extracting fuel cells from Ralt RT3-4-5s is one of the least fun things you can do, though marginally more fun than putting them back in, but it would be most interesting to know what the fuel cell is on this car.
    It's not necessary to remove the fuel cell to get the number. Simply remove the rear fuel cell bulkhead. This will reveal the numbers which were marked on the rear of the cell. A bit of cleaning and the numbers should be easily read. Depending on what has been attached to the rear bulkhead this shouldn't be too difficult of a task.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

353 was crossed out and 361 was written next to it on the id page.

Liked: 80

My RT4 was #353. I replaced the tub with a used one that I bought from Marc Bahner after a huge crash at the Glen in 1987. I am pretty sure I put the original chassis plate on the replacement tub but its possible that it was #361.

Regards, Jeremy Hill

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by JEREMY HILL View Post
    My RT4 was #353. I replaced the tub with a used one that I bought from Marc Bahner after a huge crash at the Glen in 1987. I am pretty sure I put the original chassis plate on the replacement tub but its possible that it was #361.

Regards, Jeremy Hill
    There's video of that crash floating around YouTube somewhere.
    It was impressive.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Default New BBS Wheels

I contacted BBS in 2018 to see if they still made wheels for the Ralt. They contacted the office in Germany. They hadn't made new wheels in many years. However, after some digging they found the original drawings and were able to make a new set.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Taking offers.

Thread Information