Liked: 1

Default Modern starter for Lola T540 ?

I'm restoring a Lola T540, and would like to fit it with a modern efficient starter.

Can someone recommend a make & type that fits? I understand that some older Lolas will not accept a modern starter.

..... Rob S.

Liked: 490

Default starter

Call Marc Bushman. 630-279-8834. He is the best I have ever used by far.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 158

I have no first hand knowledge regarding fitting a modern starter to a T540 however I have found that starters based on a 1.4kW Hatachi PMGR are the smallest and typically fit anywhere a Lucas will. The two starters I am aware of that use a PMGR as a base are the Tilton XLT and the WOSP Slimline. You can purchase the Tilton part # 1151 from Pegasus but it is expensive at approx. $550. I prefer the WOSP part # LMS269-9-2 (9 tooth, 2 bolt) because the adapter plate is beefier and it is considerably cheaper then the Tilton. They are available from race-parts.com for approx. $400 but I have purchased a number of them off Ebay for approx. $300 each. I have fit these to a number of different Formula Fords including Crossle, Hawke, Lotus and Merlyn. Here is a link to the Ebay seller I used. You should confirm the WOSP part number as they also sell a 10 tooth and a 3 bolt starter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/185660085891

Good luck, Joe

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I don't know if this will work but the Nippendenso from a 1980 corolla seems to fit about any formula car with the correct adapters. They are bullet proof if you pot the wires in the solenoid in RTY or epoxy. YMMV

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 95

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Call Marc Bushman. 630-279-8834. He is the best I have ever used by far.
    I second this recommendation.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Thread Information