Liked: 22

Default Wheel alignment question.

The rear wheel alignment spec for my car is 1/16" in per side. The alignment machine at my local shop (this is a road car) measures only in degrees. The overall diameter of the tire is 24.8". What is the correct toe-in angle for this job?

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    The rear wheel alignment spec for my car is 1/16" in per side. The alignment machine at my local shop (this is a road car) measures only in degrees. The overall diameter of the tire is 24.8". What is the correct toe-in angle for this job?
    The conversion is:
    Angle in degrees = 57.3 x (inches toe)/(tire dia)

This is derived from the formula 1 radian = 57.3 degrees or 2 x Pi radians = 360 degrees.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    0.144 degrees

Liked: 39

sin^-1(x) = (1/16)/(24.8)
    solve for x

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    The conversion is:
    Angle in degrees = 57.3 x (inches toe)/(tire dia)

This is derived from the formula 1 radian = 57.3 degrees or 2 x Pi radians = 360 degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    sin^-1(x) = (1/16)/(24.8)
    solve for x
    These are essentially the same for small angles (under 10 degrees).
    Dave Weitzenhof

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Youse guys humble me, I suck at math. Prolly why I flunked the MCAT.
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 10.10.23 at 7:02 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 58

Default Street car vs race car alignment specs

Hope that someone more technically adept (Dave W?) will pitch in to correct me if I am wrong. I think that the measurement basis for street car toe-in is different than for (typical) race car specification:

Street car = based on tire diameter (degrees or fraction of inch over this dimension)

Race car = based on rim diameter (easiest, most repeatable feature to measure from)

I do recall that some folks use a technique on their race car of scribing a shallow reference line around the (slick) tire tread with a sharp point to effectively measure toe-in @ tire diameter. Not sure if many folks use this method.

Lee

Default I think you're correct

Certainly makes sense. Many street car setups are done measuring (angle) on the rim also. However, the accuracy of rim toe measurement depends in large part on the rims having little to no runout.

A scribed line on the tire eliminates that source of error. Almost all of my 30+ YO Jongbloed wheels have some runout, so I use a variation of that technique.
    Last edited by DaveW; 10.10.23 at 5:38 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

9. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information