Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Torque wrench suggestions

Mine was last calibrated in.....1986! It wasn't an expensive one back then, but I expect it is well out of whack by now and not worth investing in given what it is worth. So, I was thinking of treating myself to a new one. Mechanical, not digital, 1/2" drive, up to say 200lbs/ft

Any strong recommendations out there?

best
    bt

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

I have a variety of CDI wrenches in different ranges and sizes.
    https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-Pr.../dp/B07N67FT2S

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 246

Almost hate to throw out there based on snap on cost but I have an old rotary dial snap on torque wrench that I got on the late 70’s or early 80’s. Had calibration checked every year from 1999-2020 ( worked for an aerospace co) and it was never outside the 2% tolerance level. Now that I am retired it will likely never get checked again and I am not at all concerned. Like I said cost is outrageous but if I amortize it over the 40ish years I’ve used it seem pretty cheap. Just my thoughts. Still not sure if I were in the market for a new one whether I could stomach the initial cost.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 246

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Wow, just saw this after submitting my post. This seems like an amazing deal on what appears to be a quality product. Todd

Contributing Member

Seems like great value, based upon the reviews. And made by Snap-On, in America....

thanks for this,
    bt

Their catalogue is like a wish list and their website is old and sucks. But that means to me that they don't have to 'sell' people on their products. People come to buy them.

I have an old single torque hex drive screw driver type product they made years ago for electronics assembly (hard drives) and from what I can tell it's still dead on.

Some day I might get the one with changeable ends (different open end wrench ends) because there are lots of times a socket doesn't work.

http://www.cditorque.com/

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Just for giggles, have a look at comparisons between snap on and harbor freight torque wrenches. It might surprise you.
    Graham

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

Their catalogue is like a wish list and their website is old and sucks. But that means to me that they don't have to 'sell' people on their products. People come to buy them.
    I had a friend with a SnapOn truck. He referred to his best customers as "toolies." He just needed to get something into their hands and they would buy it.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

I don't know if they're available over there, but I have used Britool torque wrenches for years and found them excellent.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Just for giggles, have a look at comparisons between snap on and harbor freight torque wrenches. It might surprise you.
    https://www.hagerty.com/media/mainte...torque-wrench/

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    I don't know if they're available over there, but I have used Britool torque wrenches for years and found them excellent.
    They have one on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Britool-AVT10.../dp/B004ZFCHT8

And from the ship dates I suspect it's coming from the UK!

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    It strikes me that much depends on the desired accuracy, repeatability, and durability of the wrench.

A slightly OT example: I am in the midst of a dental implant, where the embedded post is torqued to 35nm. The periodontist better be using a torque wrench with a recent calibration.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Clearly their knock-offs are better than ever, but to be honest I've stopped buying things from Harbor Freight.

Why? Because they have gotten better.
    Their Quinn and Icon brands are must better than the Pittsburg brands we were used to and associate the "Harbor Fright quality".

I have a handful of Pittsburg torque wrenches and a few bags of wrenches. They get tossed in the back of the truck "just in case". I don't care if someone steals them and they get beat on, chopped up, etc.

Their Quinn and Icon brands cost more than the $9.95 I paid for the Pittsburg product.

All their prices have gone up. HF is an hour round trip for me.
    If I want a junk tool now, I can get it from Home Depot or Amazon.
    If I'm going to pay $100 to $350 for a tool, I'm going to think and shop more.

And I won't be spending $100 on something like a torque wrench when there is NO customer service or parts available.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    A slightly OT example: I am in the midst of a dental implant, where the embedded post is torqued to 35nm. The periodontist better be using a torque wrench with a recent calibration.
    My wife had a dental implant back circa 1986. Very early on. A more serious procedure back then.
    She's had 2 others since and the procedure is easier.
    The newer one's are smaller but have had problems with the screws 'stretching' because the posts now are much smaller and that constant pressure on the edge of the crown rocks them loose.

She went in for a replacement. $1200 was the cost of the screw. It does come with a special screwdriver (which they wouldn't let me have).

Liked: 99

A recommendation for wheel nuts/track torque wrenches. I have switched to a split beam style wrench - No need to turn down after use! It's nice to have a wrench that is left at 125ft lbs all weekend long.

Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F Silver 1/2" Drive Split Beam Torque Wrench with Flex Head - Amazon.com
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 57

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    A recommendation for wheel nuts/track torque wrenches. I have switched to a split beam style wrench - No need to turn down after use! It's nice to have a wrench that is left at 125ft lbs all weekend long.

Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F Silver 1/2" Drive Split Beam Torque Wrench with Flex Head - Amazon.com
    I also have split beam by Precision Instruments and would recommend for wheel nuts. A downside is that they only work for right hand fasteners. The pinion nut for my Staffs is left handed so I ended up buying a spring style one from them as well. Naturally, I only want to change gears at the track when I just bring the split beam. I do also notice a difference in the "click" between the two, the spring one is more crisp.

That begs the question on torque accuracy for wheel nuts.

I used a Pittsburg for the wheel nuts on my RF94/95. Single center nut. Wrench set at 100 and never released.

6 years - Zero loose nuts.

I now of a battery impact with a torque stick. Again, zero loose nuts in 3 years.

I would suspect that 4 or 5 lug wheels would require consistent torque, not a specific torque number.

I would not want a good torque wrench hitting the pavement in the pits.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by mboian90 View Post
    I also have split beam by Precision Instruments and would recommend for wheel nuts. A downside is that they only work for right hand fasteners. The pinion nut for my Staffs is left handed so I ended up buying a spring style one from them as well. Naturally, I only want to change gears at the track when I just bring the split beam. I do also notice a difference in the "click" between the two, the spring one is more crisp.
    Correct, and Hewlands are the same. To prevent having (2) large 1/2" drive wrenches at the track, I use a small digital torque adapter for the pinion and layshaft nuts with my breaker bar (which was already put to use for nut removal). 1/2 in. Drive 25-250 ft. lb. Digital Torque Adapter (harborfreight.com)
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 182

My wife had a dental implant back circa 1986. Very early on. A more serious procedure back then.
    She's had 2 others since and the procedure is easier.
    The newer one's are smaller but have had problems with the screws 'stretching' because the posts now are much smaller and that constant pressure on the edge of the crown rocks them loose.

She went in for a replacement. $1200 was the cost of the screw. It does come with a special screwdriver (which they wouldn't let me have).
    Actually a much more complicated problem than just the screw.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Default Another vote for HF digital torque adapter

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    Correct, and Hewlands are the same. To prevent having (2) large 1/2" drive wrenches at the track, I use a small digital torque adapter for the pinion and layshaft nuts with my breaker bar (which was already put to use for nut removal). 1/2 in. Drive 25-250 ft. lb. Digital Torque Adapter (harborfreight.com)
    Many (most?, all?) "click-style" torque wrenches only work properly for clock-wise torquing.

The HF digital torque adapter bassracer mentions works in both directions. I've also started using it for Hewland pinion & layshaft nuts.
    It displays the applied torque in real-time and makes a "beep" @ 80% of set torque, then a longer "buzz" when set torque is achieved. Also automatically shuts down to save the battery if unused for awhile.

Lee

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by tstrong View Post
    Almost hate to throw out there based on snap on cost but I have an old rotary dial snap on torque wrench that I got on the late 70’s or early 80’s. Had calibration checked every year from 1999-2020 ( worked for an aerospace co) and it was never outside the 2% tolerance level. Now that I am retired it will likely never get checked again and I am not at all concerned. Like I said cost is outrageous but if I amortize it over the 40ish years I’ve used it seem pretty cheap. Just my thoughts. Still not sure if I were in the market for a new one whether I could stomach the initial cost.
    Similar experience here. My Snap-on Torque wrenches are the only ones that haven't gone out of calibration.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 131

For a reasonable money option, the Kobalt click types are pretty nice. I have had several in full time mechanic use for 5+ years now and still test ok.

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

Got mine from HF for $9.99 a decade or so ago. I just make it a point to unwind it before putting it away. Pretty impressive for a throw away...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

I watch a lot of Project Farm videos when doing research on tools as well. https://youtu.be/HP4uECoH8cc?si=n3Jn7tB7rKRM1plE
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

38. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 83

Default Torque Wrench

I have 6 torque wrenches
    1/2 - Snap-on side knob adjustable 250 ft-lb
    3/8 - Snap-on side knob adjustment 600 in-lb
    3/8 - Snap-on electronic 50-600 in-lb programmable - auditable
    1/2 - Craftsman beam 0-150 ft-lb
    3/8 - Craftsman beam 0-600 in-lb
    1/2 - Beam 0 - 150 ft-lb, this last one was made by my Cal-Poly Pomona Mechanical Engineering design class in 1969. It was a year class, first quarter output was the project the class was going to build, second quarter the project was designed, third quarter the project was built in volume and sold. There was of course a lot more going on during the class but ultimately the grade depended on the success of the manufacture in volume and sale of the project. I love this torque wrench and it has had a good deal of use.

In my first couple of years racing an HP Bug-eye (70-75) had a good friend (still talk to him) he had engine issues I did not. We agreed I would put together his engine. To make a long story bearable it turned out to be his click-torque wrench, 35 ft-lb's was really less that 25 ft-lb. it was not adjustable and simple got weak. He got a Snap-on, I kept using my beam, It would be some years before I decided to spend some entry fee money on a new torque wrench, afterall I had 3 very accurate beams..
    When I started working on Kawasaki ZX10's the 87 in-lb bolts were everywhere.

I was at Road America mid week for something and there was a Snap-on truck parked at the road intersection just after the tunnel near turn 5. The guy said he had come out to service some racer who was testing and I asked him what he could sell me that I could not live without. He shows me the 3/8 programmable-auditable, said he had gotten it for a customer who had decided to not to get it and did not want his deposit back, sold it to me for the remainder. I never leave the batteries in it.

Can you have too many torque wrenches???

40. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 597

Buy a click click Craftsman. In a few years if you don't think you can trust it.. chuck it and buy another. Some tools become disposable, some treasures

42. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Buy a click click Craftsman. In a few years if you don't think you can trust it.. chuck it and buy another. Some tools become disposable, some treasures
    Most Snap-On trucks have a torque wrench tester on board. I check all my torque wrenches every couple of years. They are all over 25 years old and are still dead on, even my 30+ year old beater Crafstman 3/8's
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

44. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information