Liked: 9

Default Zetec fuel pressure

Before, when I turned on the car/pump it would pressure up to about 60 PSI. Turn off the pump/ignition, pressure held at 60 PSI before slowly bleeding down.

NOW, start pump and it goes to 60 as it did before. But when power is turned off, immediately drops to 35 PSI. Thought maybe it was the pressure regulator, replace the diaphragm - same pressure drop.

Is there some sort of back check valve in the fuel pump that may have died? Any other ideas why it drops?

Bri.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

I do not know if there is a check valve in the pump, but I do know that when the pumps go, there is a wide variety of symptoms.

Have you noticed more drain on the battery? These pumps seem to use more power when they are having trouble keeping up with the fuel flow need.

Just your comments on behavior makes me think the safe thing to do is replace the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I do not know if there is a check valve in the pump, but I do know that when the pumps go, there is a wide variety of symptoms.

Have you noticed more drain on the battery? These pumps seem to use more power when they are having trouble keeping up with the fuel flow need.

Just your comments on behavior makes me think the safe thing to do is replace the pump.
    Thanks - Yup, my thoughts as well. Just hoping someone had a easier/cheaper fix.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by quickmag View Post
    Thanks - Yup, my thoughts as well. Just hoping someone had a easier/cheaper fix.
    You can find the pump many places:
    Walbro GSS340BX (Primus #) I don't know what the BX means.

Seen them on eBay but don't trust ebay.

Amazon, Primus, Summit, etc.

$88 - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gss340bx

The newer style pumps require a new bracket to hold the pump along with changing all the connections and fuel lines. So, not easiest or quickest of jobs. Have a spare pump, now just need to find the time.

Thread Information