Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Zip code pricing - mind if I vent?

It has become a running joke in our neighborhood - many contractors just step up their pricing when they quote because we live on a nice street. It has become common for the same services to be 40-60% cheaper from the same contractors only streets away. Sigh...

But, this is a new one on me. We have a dead oak tree to come down. I happen to be on the driveway when a firm not know to me is walking the street delivering mailers about their tree service. Nice guy, not too young, licensed and insured arborist. quotes me $2600, but I had literally just given the job out earlier that day to someone for $2300.

The guy I hired ultimately does not want to do the job (felt the tree was a little over his skill level), so I ask the pamphlet guys to come back, and requote. They quote $2600 all-in and I hire them. There is never any mention that there is a possibility that the price could increase.

The following week they come to do the job. Before even starting, they ask for an additional $600 to cobweb a rope system up high to make sure they can place the cut wood safely onto the ground (it is a 70' tall dead oak, so it is a large job). I grudgingly agree - I don't really want anyone hurt doing a dangerous job. After about 5 hours work, the tree is half down, but they've trashed some ropes etc because it is such a difficult job. They now want another $1500 to complete the job - the inference is if I don't agree, they won't finish.

This is classic bait and switch technique, and I don't like being held hostage. I'm also not a jerk and can understand that some jobs can go sideways - I could even be persuaded to throw in a little bit more cash. But not $1500 worth

Interested to know what you folks might have done at this point. I'll hold off on what I did until later....

best
    bt

Liked: 597

When any business hangs a "door hanger" ad on my front door handle I like to call 'em and remind them that too often a door hanger is a sign (especially if it's been there for a couple of days) that says > Go ahead, break in, we're not home!! ....and then I tell them that because they left their door hanger ad, I will likely never call them for actual business.

Sad but you're stuck maybe. Get anything in writing up front?

Call your local TV station that has some kind of "Action Reporter" to give them the story of how this company deceives clients??

Pay 'em with a bank card and then call your bank card company to contest part of the bill?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Call your local TV station that has some kind of "Action Reporter" to give them the story of how this company deceives clients??
    I was thinking this too.

Could play it 2 ways. Bait and Switch story or "guys stand by their word" story. Good or bad publicity.

OR
    Call the original $2300 guy that couldn't handle the job. The remainder is probably manageable for him now.
    Offer him the $1500 to finish it.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I was thinking this too.

Could play it 2 ways. Bait and Switch story or "guys stand by their word" story. Good or bad publicity.

OR
    Call the original $2300 guy that couldn't handle the job. The remainder is probably manageable for him now.
    Offer him the $1500 to finish it.
    That is a really good idea - had not thought of it.

bt

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    That is a really good idea - had not thought of it.

bt
    I don't like people that think they have you by the nadz to 'win'.
    I'd rather pay someone else twice as much.

Either finish as agreed or don't finish.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 120

If you only gave them $500 so far simply tell them you want them to finish at the agreed price or they can pound salt for getting any more money at all. It certainly won't be worth their time and money to litigate it...\

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

good Lord.. if the rednecks around here knew they could make $3000 dropping trees in Canada there wouldn't be any more rednecks around here.. takes 'em less than 10 minutes to drop 100' tree to the ground.

11. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 113

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    good Lord.. if the rednecks around here knew they could make $3000 dropping trees in Canada there wouldn't be any more rednecks around here.. takes 'em less than 10 minutes to drop 100' tree to the ground.
    Actually I found it quite hard in the Nashville area to even get a tree service to come bid after a storm. My last job for a tree which blew over and was already down was well above $3000.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    Actually I found it quite hard in the Nashville area to even get a tree service to come bid after a storm. My last job for a tree which blew over and was already down was well above $3000.
    i got 21 trees dropped for less than $7K. Largest was 120' tall white oak. Then a guy from Memphis area picked up the trunks in 20' sections cuz he has a saw mill.

Thread Information