Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default SportsCar Magazine

https://racer.com/2023/09/13/stateme...-for-the-scca/

I remember when receiving SportsCar magazine was the highlight of the month. Sometimes I would read half of it standing beside the mailbox. Now it goes straight in the recycling bin. That is not a reflection on the people that produced the magazine, just the reality that the world has changed, and there is no need for a medium that publishes 6 week old news.

Hopefully SCCA can now spend our money on something more relevant.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 1108

That bites.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

I remember when receiving SportsCar magazine was the highlight of the month. Sometimes I would read half of it standing beside the mailbox. Now it goes straight in the recycling bin. That is not a reflection on the people that produced the magazine, just the reality that the world has changed, and there is no need for a medium that publishes 6 week old news.

Greg I also LOVED the mag, back in the day - it was awesome
    bt

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Exactly my sentiments.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Straight into the circular file.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 601

Default Sports Car Magazine

Competition Press ( turned Autoweek), National Speed Sport News, SCCA's Sports Car were the way I kept informed when I started automotive based racing in 1971. I've had some type of business advertisement in Sports Car since the early 1980's. Sad, but it's time.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

8. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

That was my first reaction.

However, I looked at the 2022 audited financial statements. I am certainly not an accountant, but the only line item (p.5 Functional Expenses) that would seem to cover SportsCar is Publishing. That amounts to just $415K out of $16M total -- roughly 2.6% of expenses.
    Last edited by John Nesbitt; 09.14.23 at 2:38 PM. Reason: Math error - I said I wasn't an accountant!
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    Greg I also LOVED the mag, back in the day - it was awesome
    bt
    Ditto.
    Dave Weitzenhof

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 799

Yup, pre-internet it was a favorite.
    Years ago I questioned why they "spent" our money on it. I was told that (back then) that it cost less to produce and distribute than the advertising income it brought in, so it was profitable, not an expense.
    Very unlikely true these days.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

I admit to not seeing an issue for some time, but am baffled how it could be so bad under Pfanner’s able tutelage.

Though maybe I can guess the answer... no good reporters willing to work on the cheap, and no good photographers for same?

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    I admit to not seeing an issue for some time, but am baffled how it could be so bad under Pfanner’s able tutelage.

Though maybe I can guess the answer... no good reporters willing to work on the cheap, and no good photographers for same?
    The killer was likely a shortfall of advertising revenue because almost everything can be found on-line and businesses are realizing that relatively few sales currently come from print ads. So raising ad rates wouldn't fly.
    Dave Weitzenhof

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

it was not bad. Just not relevant in 2023 (probably since 2003).
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 348
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Many call such things “progress,” but I am not one of them.

My hope is one day humanity wakes up and realizes that hands are meant to hold tangible things, not just phones.

Perhaps everyone can read something at the same time in the morning, have a quake, and simultaneously drop a billion phones into the sewage system. YAY!!!

Liked: 597

Example: (and please no comments about the US Mail)
    I mail a package from Orlando to a Patient about 35 miles away with a tracking number on it and proper postage. Weeks later it hasn't arrived. Using the tracking number, I go on-line and USPS shows it's 'moving through their system.' Many days later nothing else has changed when tracking at USPS.com. Patient of course calling going > where is it? So, I go to USPS on-line of course and begin process of having USPS investigate. A couple of days later I get an Email that says > we're going to investigate. Later I get an Email that says > we're investigating. Today I get an Email from USPS that says they've come up with nothing....and that I should now go to this other USPS website and get further investigation.

The point is > aren't we all just a little bit fed up with the seeming answer to everything these days is > go to the website.

In my Office I can hand a copy of SportsCar to someone (newbie) who expresses an interest in motor sports and they have something concrete in their hand to help keep them interested later and also a reference source for further exploration on their own.....maybe even at some websites!.......but on their own. If I merely tell them > Hey! You need to go to SCCA.com .... ... or even write SCCA.com on a piece of paper and give that to them the odds are poor that their effort goes any further IMHO.

I vote we keep chopping down those trees as a way of finding new members. I'll also admit I don't read the thing from cover to cover.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Many call such things “progress,” but I am not one of them.

My hope is one day humanity wakes up and realizes that hands are meant to hold tangible things, not just phones.

Perhaps everyone can read something at the same time in the morning, have a quake, and simultaneously drop a billion phones into the sewage system. YAY!!!
    Sounds like the monks cursing Guttenberg.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Oh sure, real good, make people Google to know what you mean, just to not know what you mean anyway.

Three minutes I want back, instead of your spending three precious seconds typing. Super efficient, just to make my point, Thanks!

Liked: 702

I recall a conversation I had with Rob Howden years ago about the relevancy of FormulaCar Magazine (other than the OUTSTANDING photography) when race reports can be found on the internet the same day. He said something to the effect that it's important that those results be documented in print for a permanent record because the internet is not very reliable. I sort of agreed at the time but I recently read through some of the old issues (I think I have every issue he published) and it's so cool to see some big names listed in the junior formula car race results (AJ Almendinger in Barber Dodge. Scott Speed in Star Mazda) and some guys that dominated those races that we thought would get to Indycar that disappeared.

Sportscar Magazine did away with detailed race results long ago, they never had great photography, and it was difficult to even find mention of formula cars so I won't miss it.

I sure miss FormulaCar Mag, though...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

26. The following 3 users liked this post:

Rob gets it, a really good guy who I believe started with Shifter Kart Illustrated magazine.

And Yes, nothing is permanent in 0s and 1s. NOTHING (except endless annoyances).

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Example: (and please no comments about the US Mail)
    I mail a package from Orlando to a Patient about 35 miles away with a tracking number on it and proper postage. Weeks later it hasn't arrived. Using the tracking number, I go on-line and USPS shows it's 'moving through their system.' Many days later nothing else has changed when tracking at USPS.com. Patient of course calling going > where is it? So, I go to USPS on-line of course and begin process of having USPS investigate. A couple of days later I get an Email that says > we're going to investigate. Later I get an Email that says > we're investigating. Today I get an Email from USPS that says they've come up with nothing....and that I should now go to this other USPS website and get further investigation.

The point is > aren't we all just a little bit fed up with the seeming answer to everything these days is > go to the website.

In my Office I can hand a copy of SportsCar to someone (newbie) who expresses an interest in motor sports and they have something concrete in their hand to help keep them interested later and also a reference source for further exploration on their own.....maybe even at some websites!.......but on their own. If I merely tell them > Hey! You need to go to SCCA.com .... ... or even write SCCA.com on a piece of paper and give that to them the odds are poor that their effort goes any further IMHO.

I vote we keep chopping down those trees as a way of finding new members. I'll also admit I don't read the thing from cover to cover.
    Precisely!!!

My concerns are not anti-progress, despite my inferences.

But it’s clear as a bell most of us trade serious efficiency time dicking around with tech that — wait for it! — DOES NOT WORK. And it’s only getting worse.

Whenever I see the clock spinning on my computer, all I can think is it’s a symbol of life getting shorter — and everything else taking waaaaay longer.

Rob gets it, a really good guy who I believe started with Shifter Kart Illustrated magazine.

And Yes, nothing is permanent in 0s and 1s. NOTHING (except endless annoyances).

Precisely!!!

My concerns are not anti-progress, despite my inferences.

But it’s clear as a bell most of us trade serious efficiency time dicking around with tech that — wait for it! — DOES NOT WORK. And it’s only getting worse.

Whenever I see the clock spinning on my computer, all I can think is it’s a symbol of life getting shorter — and everything else taking waaaaay longer.
    Some monks adapted quite well.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    That was my first reaction.

However, I looked at the 2022 audited financial statements. I am certainly not an accountant, but the only line item (p.5 Functional Expenses) that would seem to cover SportsCar is Publishing. That amounts to just $415K out of $16M total -- roughly 2.6% of expenses.
    Hey - they could buy light meters for the regions.....

30. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Results

I don't read SportsCar for race results. They stop that years ago. It is more then that. If it goes all digital I doubt I will ever read it again. I have not looked at Fasttrack since it went digital. I have better things to do with my time then keep clicking and clicking to get to what I want.

Still some good real mags out that that I will spend my time reading. My job keeps me in front of a screen enough. I don't need more screen time when not working.

Ed

Oh, have not read Pit Talk much since it went digital. Going digital is not a way of saving money, it is about going away.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Rick,
    I wish I had thought of that!!!!!

Still gonna miss the hard copy beyond description. Guess I am just old fashioned

Thread Information