Contributing Member lmpdesigner's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Wantto install a rear view camera in my Norma

I am not after a video recording system. I want a camera that shows the rear view from my car. So basically an electronic rear view mirror. So no recording of image. I have real troubles seeing any car to my rear via the glass mirrors. Vibrate too much, too small, etc. I am replacing them with bigger mirrors and stiffening mount but still want the camera setup. I do not want a back up camera, as they usually have the "lane lines" incorporated into the view, plus the depth of field is biased to close distance.

I am planning on installing a 4-7 inch monitor inside chassis, to my right. So I am after a good camera to connect up.

Any suggestions?

Liked: 270

Have you considered the Bosch Motorsport rearview camera, with radar integration for closing speeds and class recognition at night?

If you have, I'm dying to know what they're/we're asking for it... can always use a good laugh!

Based on what you describe... almost sounds like just any old standalone bullet camera with an RCA or similar output would work? Though I have to admit why not also throw in a splitter and send it to a recorder as well, do a PIP with a front camera... used to do that in my ITB car, before we moved to newer higher-res cameras (though without a display in the cockpit - just the PIP rearview camera).

Very jealous of you having that much room in the cockpit... I'm over here struggling to figure out room for a Flagtronics, a nice video display would be lovely!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Have you considered the Bosch Motorsport rearview camera, with radar integration for closing speeds and class recognition at night?

If you have, I'm dying to know what they're/we're asking for it... can always use a good laugh!
    For a small upcharge you can get the module which applies the brakes to the overtaking car if it gets too close like highway collision avoidance systems.

Liked: 10

I was looking into rear view camera/display possibilities last year and had bookmarked this article.

https://www.yourdatadriven.com/budge...r-motorsports/

Not sure if the information is still current or relevant to your needs but perhaps it can get you started.
    Full disclosure, I'm still just exploring options and have not bought anything, yet.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

Default Norma

Interesting, I bought a M20 out of Texas a few years ago which had a small Auto-Vox screen and a lens mounted at the rear. I removed it as I couldn't see a use for it
    your welcome to it for a small fee if you would like it ?
    email me or PM and will send pictures

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

check out the stuff at Tadibrothers.com

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Camera

We had a monitor failure on or GT3 458 Ferrari and bought a Pyle 7" with camera PLCM7700 as an emergency replacement on Amazon.Honestly the $2000+ 458 unit is a little better definition but the Pyle unit cost about $100. Works great and cheap enough to kill in a racing car. Replacement cameras are c$25.00 and we have already crunched a couple in SRO world challenge - keep a spare! The camera is ridiculously small but works great. Currently using one in an audi R8 gt3 and worked well in the night race at Nashville Indy weekend (which we won).
    You can also delete the park assist lines on this one easily - we tried a couple of Pyle units that were interior rear view mirror replacements on a couple of Daytona Prototypes that took a bit of jiggery pokery to get rid of the lines.
    Since this was a closed car project we never really looked at the 5" monitor models as space wasn't an issue.
    Reading the original post - depth of field was a non-issue, I think these are also used for RV rearview too. I think you have to read the spec carefully and avoid parking and backup as primary functions. Had no issues racing SRO at Road America and our mirrors on the R8 are not good.

Phil

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member lmpdesigner's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Here is my setup for my rearview camera.

Works really well. I can see "way" behind me and works well, even in bright sunlight. Luckily I had enough room in my car to make it a nice set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6919.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	110134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6920.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	110135  

Administrator
    Liked: 28

Default Camera

I recommend the Rydeen Miny CM-HD4.

I've installed hundreds of cameras for automotive use.
    The Rydeen offers some of the best resolution at a price that's reasonable, around $125.
    We sell a bunch of them.

Keith

Thread Information