Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default No ESPN on my Spectrum Cable

Not sure if it is nationwide but when I tuned in to watch F1 practice this morning, no ESPN on Spectrum. The common fee negotiation process. I guess a quiet long weekend before football season was the perfect time for this stunt.

Those of you who intend to watch the F1 race on ESPN/Spectrum better start lining up other options.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 116

Big reason I pay for F1 TV. It's kinda pricey, but less than the price of doing without!
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Not sure if it is nationwide but when I tuned in to watch F1 practice this morning, no ESPN on Spectrum. The common fee negotiation process. I guess a quiet long weekend before football season was the perfect time for this stunt.

Those of you who intend to watch the F1 race on ESPN/Spectrum better start lining up other options.
    Spectrum is having a pricing disagreement with Disney Corp. which controls ESPN, etc. So no F1 or US open tennis. The screen went black last night while I was watching the US open tennis and a message from Spectrum appeared saying that we, the viewers, should contact Disney.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/01/media...t%20to%20watch.

Spectrum says to go to www.disneyespnfairdeal.com to complain. There is an option to send an email, which I did.
    Last edited by DaveW; 09.01.23 at 12:19 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Disney (and others) really want you to use their streaming service.

They get more $$ direct from consumers than via a deal with the cable company.

If I did not have an 85 yo mother in law at home who cannot use streaming services I'd cancel cable in a minute ($275/mo for basic stuff).

Cable companies know they are out of the content game and are just prolonging telling their users.

Look for more of these "disagreements."

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

streaming services will definitely take over.. wife and I switched to youtube TV plus host of other apps like Paramount +, Peacock, Disney, Amazon Prime Video, etc (many of which were being provided free from my ISP) and were spending way less than cable TV in the past and never had to call for service issues in 3 years.

Then we moved my father-in-law in who is elderly and cannot grasp channels without numbers. Tired of fixing his tv for him, I gave in and got Xfinity/Comcast just so he could punch in numbers to the TV remote. So far in the first month instead of spending hours tuning his TV on youtube, I spend hours on the phone arguing with robots who claim services are fine because they did some remote test but regardless the picture was not fine at this end.

Now I see the Michigan football game, #2 ranked team, isn't even on TV this weekend, it's on Peacock. Luckily we have that app still but back to other's point that decentralized programming services is how we will have to get our feeds in the future. For now it still adds up to less than cable TV, but I fear we will be nickel and dimed to death eventually it will add up to more money for less services, although you'll only have the services you actually want to pay for.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    streaming services will definitely take over.. .... . For now it still adds up to less than cable TV, but I fear we will be nickel and dimed to death eventually it will add up to more money for less services, although you'll only have the services you actually want to pay for.
    The long argued issue with Cable is that we pay for every channel they offer. So, those odd channels that pop up and disappear - we pay for. And the channels my mother-in-law watches with all the black and white movies from 80 years ago, we all pay for as part of basic cable.

With streaming we don't have to buy them.

Getting on 10 years ago, the Dodgers sold their TV rights to TimeWarner. TW then turned around and tried to sell it to cable providers. The cable providers wanted to sell it as a subscription, TW wanted like $5 per household. We still can't get the games on TV. Even if we buy MLBTV they black out the games. I think TW lost big $$.

Hmmm. I found more time to do other things.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

It would seem that it would be best for both parties to reach an agreement. Disney also owns NBC which can be gotten over the air for no charge. Besides the net result for Spectrum will be lost customers.

Of course their rates keep going up and up and up

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

When my boys got into gaming and YouTube, I cancelled cable. It's been at least 5 years now and in addition to saving a poop-ton of money, I've sprung for faster internet, which make the boys even happier! I'm perfectly content with YouTube podcasts and comedy specials and searching the internet for left-handed exhaust bearings for fun.

The F1 YouTube channel has some good content.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default three network channels and free

wide world of sports granted auto racing

five minutes on Saturday

bring back the good ? old days

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I have inside knowledge that ESPN is planning big layoffs.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 310

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    It would seem that it would be best for both parties to reach an agreement. Disney also owns NBC which can be gotten over the air for no charge. Besides the net result for Spectrum will be lost customers.

Of course their rates keep going up and up and up
    Comcast owns NBC. Disney owns ABC.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

OOOPPSS my bad. I was told a channel and got the wrong network. Thanks for correcting me!!!!

Liked: 310

I've heard that Charter is so pissed off about ESPN's demands that Charter might consider leaving the cable business to concentrate on the internet.

Liked: 597

I'll watch F1 when it's on.......but I can live without it too. UCF Knight Football is on FS1 not ESPN so far. Go Knights! Charge on!

Liked: 597

Most of the time the F1 race got recorded and when I watched it later about half the race was on fast forward..........how many times and from how many angles can you watch a pass at the end of a long straight when the trailing car used its DRS ?

19. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thread Information