Liked: 229

Default Question about aim smarty cams

I am looking at options for the Aim Smartycam, one of the choices is the lens width, it has two choices, 67 deg or 84 degree. This is for a F1600 and I am wanting the system which will overlay data with the video. Been running Go Pro's for years but really wanting to upgrade. Thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Brian.

Liked: 942

The 67 degree lens is for tintops mounted to a roll bar and looking through a windshield. The 84 degree works great for open cars. I've been using the 84 degree smartycam since 2019. I will msg you a link to some video.

Also suggest using the RAM ball mount on the roll hoop and the AIM RAM mount kit. It has just enough damping to keep the camera from being shaken to bits from the Kent vibrator.

Dan Wise
    Last edited by DanW; 08.29.23 at 5:11 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I was wondering the same thing. Also wondering about it's use with a Solo 2? I don't have either yet but seems like they would be a good combo to add to the CF.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 20

I have a smartycam 2.1 with the 120° lens. You can get the smartycam 3 with a 120° lens, I'd recommend it. Almost 40° more field of view from the 84° is great, so much to see!

I have had mine hard mounted and isolated with a rubber pad and it makes no difference in video quality. I actually designed and printed my own mount because the ball style options kept breaking. As they say, the sensor does take care of vibration.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Also wondering about it's use with a Solo 2? I don't have either yet but seems like they would be a good combo to add to the CF.
    I have the Smarty Can HD 2.2 and recently connected it to my AIM SOLO 2DL with RPM - works just fine. My favorite thing about this combo is the camera starts automatically when the engine exceeds 500 rpm and car move faster than 10 kph. Solo provides RPM and speed overlay to the smart cam video, also lap time.
    Jim Phoenix Van Diemen RF79 CF

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 66

More FOV means you see more, but you're not going to be looking at a screen with a higher FOV. If you're not used to playing video games (usually console games) or watching films with FOV/screen mismatches the resulting "fisheye" effect can distort your perception of what things look like on video. If you're used to this effect and know what's going on, the wider the better and go 120-degree. If you're not used to it, you might want to consider a more modest option such as the 84.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

The SmartyCam 3 does work with the S2DL. Remember you can start with RPM straight to the S2DL and then add a channel expansion or ACC to add up to 4 sensors.

The SC3 GP is available in 67, 84, and 120 field of view. Which is best is like asking what oil is best! I personally like the 67 as I feel it most closely resembles what I actually see, but the 84 is the most popular. The 120 is loved by a small minority IME. When doing something like a SC3 Dual, the 120 is great as a rear view camera.

The RAM mounts work great on the bullet cams.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 30

I just finished installing a SmartyCam 3GP on my Swift FA this evening, after deliberation and with advice from the vendor (Veracity Racing) I opted for the 84 degree field of view, the feedback was that 120 degrees tends to have the aforementioned fisheye effect.

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Solo plus smarty

I was wondering the same thing. Also wondering about its use with a Solo 2? I don't have either yet but seems like they would be a good combo to add to the CF.
    Thats what I’m using and it’s great. Never have to remember turning on Smarty and Solo has all the data you need.
    I’ve got a Solo 2 DL for sale if you have an ECU. Has cable for Swift with Honda.
    Veracity is the place to buy from. Lot of extra service from Ellen.
    Hybels

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    Thats what I’m using and it’s great. Never have to remember turning on Smarty and Solo has all the data you need.
    I’ve got a Solo 2 DL for sale if you have an ECU. Has cable for Swift with Honda.
    Veracity is the place to buy from. Lot of extra service from Ellen.
    Thanks Richard. I don't have an FF with an ECU so I'm looking at the non DL version.

I've already emailed David and Ellen, waiting to hear back!
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 942

Thanks Richard. I don't have an FF with an ECU so I'm looking at the non DL version.

Garey,
    I have the same issue, no CAN. The Solo 2DL has an RPM signal version. Ellen and Dave also have a really great magnetic speed pickup coil version that fits on the Kent FF for a perfectly clean tach signal.

https://shop.veracitydata.com/produc...8e4b3aeb&_ss=r
    Last edited by DanW; 08.30.23 at 12:23 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 5

Default SmartyCam Email

Hi Garey:

You might want to check your spam folder as I replied to your email on Monday the 28th.

Ellen

Veracity Racing Data

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EFerg View Post
    Hi Garey:

You might want to check your spam folder as I replied to your email on Monday the 28th.

Ellen

Veracity Racing Data
    Thanks Ellen, you were right!
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 229

Thank you all for the comments, very helpful as expected.

Brian.

Liked: 64

Default SmartyCam HD 2.1 or GP 2.2?

What are the pluses and minuses between the GoPro style SC HD 2.1 and the bullet style SC GP 2.2? I've been using a GoPro mounted to the left side of the cockpit and it seems good. What I don't like is the camera is rotated in yaw slightly to center the FOV but I can see my hands. With the SC GP, most of them are mounted overhead but can the hands be seen?

I have not purchased yet. I'm also looking for one, so if anyone has one for sales please advise.

Thanks!

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
    What are the pluses and minuses between the GoPro style SC HD 2.1 and the bullet style SC GP 2.2? I've been using a GoPro mounted to the left side of the cockpit and it seems good. What I don't like is the camera is rotated in yaw slightly to center the FOV but I can see my hands. With the SC GP, most of them are mounted overhead but can the hands be seen
    I use the SC GP 2.2 mounted just behind the cockpit on top of the side panel. You can definitely see your hands, even the G-Dash. Here's a short video of what I get: https://youtu.be/0pUTZMVX51c

I have a 120 deg lens on my camera. I usually replace the protective cover every year, it gets pitted from debris.

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Administrator
    Liked: 28

Default Smarty Cam

I have not purchased yet. I'm also looking for one, so if anyone has one for sales please advise.

Thanks!
    Hi Larry,

I have a GP2.2 removed from one of our cars available.

Also have new SmartyCam3's available with a discount to Apexspeed members.

PM me for details.

Thanks,
    KR

Liked: 553

What are the pluses and minuses between the GoPro style SC HD 2.1 and the bullet style SC GP 2.2? I've been using a GoPro mounted to the left side of the cockpit and it seems good. What I don't like is the camera is rotated in yaw slightly to center the FOV but I can see my hands. With the SC GP, most of them are mounted overhead but can the hands be seen?

Thanks!
    I saw recently where people were not able to repair or replace some Smartycam parts or cables. I'm sorry, I don't recall specifics. It was a Facebook discussion. It would probably be good to confirm with an Aim vendor.

It may not be a real concern, but I remember being a little surprised to hear about someone unable to repair what they had. Maybe it was an older version.

Having said that, I absolutely love the Aim systems and Smartycams I've had over the years.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I saw recently where people were not able to repair or replace some Smartycam parts or cables. I'm sorry, I don't recall specifics. It was a Facebook discussion. It would probably be good to confirm with an Aim vendor.

It may not be a real concern, but I remember being a little surprised to hear about someone unable to repair what they had. Maybe it was an older version.

Having said that, I absolutely love the Aim systems and Smartycams I've had over the years.
    With the shortages on components, there are no more replacement bullet cameras for the SCHD line. The GP 2.1 LVDS cable (recorder to bulet) is also not available anymore.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Solo2 DL

I have a Solo 2 DL that I would sell if anyone is interested. I had Veracity make a cable for use with a FF with a Honda before I realized that wasn’t going to work with my configuration so you will need a new one. I think I paid $50
    They list for $799 and this has been used a couple of times. I’ll let it go for $600 plus shipping.
    metrocab@pacbell.net
    Hybels

Thread Information