Liked: 63

Default Ralt RT5 Starter

I don't know how old this starter is, but the pinion gear is very worn and grinding with the ring gear. I think it's some type of Bosch unit. the only numbers i see on the casing is D 001 101 345. Does anybody in the great APEX brain trust know the make and model??? I would sure like to get a couple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 95

I’ve been on the same quest for my Anson. As best as I’ve found is they were from a big BMW motorcycle from the era. I still have the original unit that works on the bench. I’d really like to find something better. A company called IMI does some nice stuff based off a gear reduction starter. Yours appears to be a good looking rebuilt original type rebuild. Does the label say who did it?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Can you find a new pinion gear??

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I think you want to find the "right" pinion gear! If this was rebuilt 2 years ago as the sticker says, there's no way the gear should be hammered this quickly. Think of how many more times your street car was started in the last month!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Default pinion

Thats still an option, I'll look into my local starter guy and hopefully he can come up with something. i know the first question will be "whats it out of."

Liked: 942

Scott,

Look up Marc Bushman here on Apex. He can help you and can work his magic to make it perfect and reliable.

Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Scott,

Look up Marc Bushman here on Apex. He can help you and can work his magic to make it perfect and reliable.

Dan
    Hey Dan,

I've already spoke to mark. Great guy. the starter functions perfectly electronically. The issue is the pinion gear, without knowing what the model/manufacture is finding the correct pinion is difficult at best. not sure what to short of machining a new one.

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by SV@RHC View Post
    Hey Dan,

I've already spoke to mark. Great guy. the starter functions perfectly electronically. The issue is the pinion gear, without knowing what the model/manufacture is finding the correct pinion is difficult at best. not sure what to short of machining a new one.
    I know nothing about these cars or the starters... but .. can't you just count the flywheel teeth and get a pinion that fits that? It might take a bit more mod to get it on the armature shaft but ... it's a start (no pun intended)?
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 139

Default Number

Could your D in the part number be a zero? Lots of Bosch starters start with 0-001-XXX-XXX. Needs to be 10 numbers. Did you call the phone number on the sticker?

Default Starter and or pinion

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Could your D in the part number be a zero? Lots of Bosch starters start with 0-001-XXX-XXX. Needs to be 10 numbers. Did you call the phone number on the sticker?
    Thanks, this search has become very educational. When I use the ten-digit version of the number I get a Bosch starter from an 87-88 BMW. It looks very similar. but I'm now looking for a cut sheet with dimensions and orientation to be sure.

I am not opposed to switching over to a Tilton or Denso. Just need the appropriate 9 tooth model and a source for the adapter ring or at least a drawing of.

Liked: 95

Hi Torque IMI Performance Products,Inc.
    If I have issues with mine I plan to send it to these guys along with the adapter plate. They can do one off stuff with a strong gear reduction motor that should turn over any supervee. For all I know they may already have something ready made.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

CHV Engineering list a starter motor for the RT5 Super Vee:

https://chv-engineering.com/products/starter-motor-vw

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Ralt Parts

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    CHV Engineering list a starter motor for the RT5 Super Vee:

https://chv-engineering.com/products/starter-motor-vw
    Thank you, what a find for Ralt parts in general.

SV

Thread Information