Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 63

Default Letter 34664 August Fastrack

Suggest you guys collectively move off the rain light issue and look at the above referenced letter. It is going to have significantly more impact to car owners of all types as well as tracks and regions. NOTE As far as I know this is *NOT* being driven by CRB.

#34664 (SCCA Staff) Begin Implementation of Flagtronics Electronic Flagging System“9.3.30. – In-Car Flagging System"1. All cars competing in the SCCA Runoffs (beginning in 2024) must have a functioning Flagtronics FT200 unit that provides visual notification of changing course conditions to the driver while on track at all times. Driver notification can be via the FT200 display or through the car’s dash via FT200 CAN Bus connection. The unique ID number of the Flagtronics unit shall be provided to the SCCA during the event registration process or as defined by the event supplemental regulations.2. Use of Flagtronics may be required at select U.S. Majors Tour events, or available as an option to participants, as per the event supplemental regulations.3. SCCA may access any data recorded by the unit.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Good Idea

Liked: 605

Do we eventually see some guy (Chief Steward) with his finger on the button of an overall control 'gun' that once pressed automatically slows all cars like I've seen at local electric go kart tracks? It would seem that's next illogical step. ....just thinking out loud.....

Liked: 706

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Butler View Post
    Suggest you guys collectively move off the rain light issue and look at the above referenced letter. It is going to have significantly more impact to car owners of all types as well as tracks and regions. NOTE As far as I know this is *NOT* being driven by CRB.
    Sort of old news but what is your issue with this? It's been discussed at great length here and seems to have more upside than downside. Yes, it's another expense that nobody planned for but it's an expense for something that will be used at almost every event, unlike an unnecessarily expensive rain light that could be used once every two or three seasons (or less).
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 63

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Sort of old news but what is your issue with this? It's been discussed at great length here and seems to have more upside than downside. Yes, it's another expense that nobody planned for but it's an expense for something that will be used at almost every event, unlike an unnecessarily expensive rain light that could be used once every two or three seasons (or less).
    Oh lots of things......it has the potential to give you an in-car yellow well before the flag station and a potential green before you pass the incident heading to the next non-yellow flag station. What takes precedence, SCCA flag rules or in-car alerts? If in-car is only informational but may be at odds with actual track flags it seems pretty dumb to be deliberately giving inconsistent information to the driver.

What happens when stewards review the GPS and Flagtronics flag data and find that multiple drivers passed under Flagtronics yellow, but well before physical flag station yellow? Corner workers, good as they are, can't catch everything when things are busy, so accept the Flagtronics PUY data even if not reported by the corner and penalize the drivers?

Besides the implications for how this is actually used and the implications for obeying flag rules and indicating track conditions there's a whole host of other concerns particularly since SCCA National has been less than transparent about this:

Who sets this up and calibrates it at each track, who bears the expense of track-side acquisition, set up, operation and maintenance? It may be just Runoffs and selected Majors now with Topeka Traveling Tech supporting, but sooner or later they will push it down to Regions.

What kind of long term agreements do we have with these guys? Will this turn into another deal where you can no longer buy but must lease the equipment (like transponders/Mylaps)?

8. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default All Licensed Druivers Should Vote!!!

This should be one that every licensed driver gets to vote on. There are just too many things to go wrong. And the probability that it will turn out6 like the transponder debacle. OK at first then AMB got greedy and if you ever need a new one, you pay through the nose

Liked: 58

I like the idea of modernizing flags, which can be dull and hard to see at certain spots on track, but I would rather see LED boards on the flag stands (and in more places) than something in my tiny, cramped cockpit (FV). I also think Flagtronics promotes more awareness inside the car at the expense of awareness outside of the car.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

1) All tracks are going to want this system. Their main interest will be the reduction of flag station workers. This has big implications for track test days. Light signal boards will be their main interest which will be simple to implement.

2) Implementation of this system is not rocket science, it is software design. The manufacture is attentive to the system's needs. This system is being rolled out with many different sanction bodies which will provide lots of opportunity to improve if required. It will not take long for the proper protocols between workers and the system to be developed.

3) The latest GPS data systems are very accurate. If the the system calls out a PUY, then that should be considered a fact that can be proven with GPS data. Again software design... It will not be very hard to generate a PUY report for every session.

4) I would say there is no setup. This is a GPS based system that requires no physical track interface. A track might be concerned with antenna placement but not much else. The signal light boards are probably all radio controlled. A modern GPS based system just changes everything.

5) The vast majority, maybe 95%, of users of this system are closed wheel or motorcycle who do not have installation packaging issues. The other 5% are going to have to make compromises.

Brian

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Default No substitute for real people on the corners

Brian,

I agree to an extent, but the folks on the corners do more than flag. They also assist drivers in distress (off course, stuck, etc) No LED system in a car is going to be able to tell a driver that it is clear behind you to reenter the track. Floggers by their body language can also transmit the severity of the condition. If the guy waving the yellow is jumping up and down you had better slow down cause there is probably a real mess ahead. I think this Flagtronics could lead to elimination if manning at some corner stations and definitely degrade safety. Just MHO.

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 350

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Brian,

I agree to an extent, but the folks on the corners do more than flag. They also assist drivers in distress (off course, stuck, etc) No LED system in a car is going to be able to tell a driver that it is clear behind you to reenter the track. Floggers by their body language can also transmit the severity of the condition. If the guy waving the yellow is jumping up and down you had better slow down cause there is probably a real mess ahead. I think this Flagtronics could lead to elimination if manning at some corner stations and definitely degrade safety. Just MHO.
    It would be a mistake to cast this in the terms used above. We're running out of alternatives. Volunteer corner workers aren't able to refill their ranks. We're already doing things to stretch available bodies to achieve coverage. There may be an alternative to in car flagging lights, but at the end of the day, it would be more expensive than the in car system: Paying even more staff.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Peter, why do you say that. What is not accurate about my statements. Or are you discounting the value of our floggers. Do you really think that a alight in the cockpit can substitute for their training and presence on the corner?? I agree that there is a thinning of the ranks, but IMHO the proper solution is to address that issue and not compromise safety with a light on the dash.

19. The following 3 users liked this post:

Peter, why do you say that. What is not accurate about my statements. Or are you discounting the value of our floggers. Do you really think that a alight in the cockpit can substitute for their training and presence on the corner?? I agree that there is a thinning of the ranks, but IMHO the proper solution is to address that issue and not compromise safety with a light on the dash.
    Other organizations are paying corner workers. Some of our events already have a portion of corner working staff who are paid. Paying workers would be a way to address the shortage. That would drive a significant entry fee increase.

I really don't care how the problem is solved, but from an operations POV, the situation on track is not improving and it needs to or we'll wind up with more Code 35/purple flag tracks.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 133

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Other organizations are paying corner workers. Some of our events already have a portion of corner working staff who are paid. Paying workers would be a way to address the shortage. That would drive a significant entry fee increase.
    Peter - As you are aware, SEDIV is already providing workers some relief for their expenses. At Barber, we provide $50/day to the SCCA volunteer workers. Even then we do not always have enough SCCA corner workers to meet the Barber requirement for 34 workers necessary to man the 17 stations. A local commercial outfit charges us $140/day per worker of which the actual worker might get $110-120/day. Our SCCA workers do say that it is not the money that brings them to the track, it is what they love to do.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Farrout48 View Post
    Peter - As you are aware, SEDIV is already providing workers some relief for their expenses. At Barber, we provide $50/day to the SCCA volunteer workers. Even then we do not always have enough SCCA corner workers to meet the Barber requirement for 34 workers necessary to man the 17 stations. A local commercial outfit charges us $140/day per worker of which the actual worker might get $110-120/day. Our SCCA workers do say that it is not the money that brings them to the track, it is what they love to do.
    Craig,

The difference between $50/day and $140/day is well beyond the ability of regions to absorb without a significant increase in entry fees. I don't advocate either solution and I'm open to any other suggestions, but right now those are the two options, with Flagtronics having already been selected. I don't see that reducing the need for corner workers as more tracks don't have full video systems than do and local yellows will still need a local corner worker to trigger the onboard system. They, in turn, will need a blue flagger for their own safety. Rather than an either/or situation this may become a both.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 803

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Do we eventually see some guy (Chief Steward) with his finger on the button of an overall control 'gun' that once pressed automatically slows all cars like I've seen at local electric go kart tracks? It would seem that's next illogical step. ....just thinking out loud.....
    This has already been proposed by F1 to "help" prevent a leader from running away from the pack, using a reverse-DRS to slow the leader down at the discretion of the race director. Look up last winters' off-season news reports.....
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 301

Curious.
    Since each unit is uniquely identified and is tracked by GPS, will it handle timing/scoring and eliminate the need for transponders?

Glenn

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Farrout48 View Post

The SCCA workers do a pretty good job of the flagging duties, compensated or not. I love flagging. It's the paid track supplied flaggers that can be an issue. To most of them, it's just a paycheck. I have heard stories that would make u think twice before going to a track-sponsored or non-SCCA event. The Flagtronic system is a great idea but will not replace the eyewitness flagger, or the flagger quickly running to you while pulling a pin out of the fire extinguisher (if he/she is even allowed to).
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Amen Alan

If I understand correctly, a corner station has to take some action to activate the Flagtronics system.

So alert and concerned corner workers are still required

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Amen Alan

If I understand correctly, a corner station has to take some action to activate the Flagtronics system.

So alert and concerned corner workers are still required
    I believe it can be done by race control from the tower as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    That's only effective at a track with full video coverage.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

31. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 98

Quote Originally Posted by pacratt View Post
    Curious.
    Since each unit is uniquely identified and is tracked by GPS, will it handle timing/scoring and eliminate the need for transponders?

Glenn
    One of the "low-buck" endurance racing programs is doing just that this year and there is awareness of those capabilities in the system - at least for longer races. Time and technology being what they are though, I'm interested in what else this system might have the capability to do outside of flagging as development is done. (Data, timing, etc.)
    Jon K - 1986 Swift DB3/Honda

Quote Originally Posted by racerjon1 View Post
    One of the "low-buck" endurance racing programs is doing just that this year and there is awareness of those capabilities in the system - at least for longer races. Time and technology being what they are though, I'm interested in what else this system might have the capability to do outside of flagging as development is done. (Data, timing, etc.)
    I thought GPS wouldn't be accurate enough for the 'photo finish'.

Beer I agree on race control activating Flagtronics, but they have to be notified by a corner station as I understand it at the present state

Beer I agree on race control activating Flagtronics, but they have to be notified by a corner station as I understand it at the present state
    Notified - You're talking 'information gathering'.
    So who "flips the switch" for FCY ? Red ?
    I believe race control 'has the button' but I would assume they communicate with the corners.

But I'd think for test days and the like when not every flag station is occupied they could control the boards at the unmanned stations.

Liked: 830

Notified - You're talking 'information gathering'.
    So who "flips the switch" for FCY ? Red ?
    I believe race control 'has the button' but I would assume they communicate with the corners.

But I'd think for test days and the like when not every flag station is occupied they could control the boards at the unmanned stations.
    The FCY 'switch' is one of, if not THE driving force(s) from SCCA. The TOWER .. under control of the sitting chair, can COMMAND FCY at all corners at will. The corner stations only control their specific area - leading to.. and leaving from their turn. The longer term goal is for the tower to COMMAND the FCY speed as well. That is to 'very fastly' be able to "bring the entire field" UNDER CONTROL and be able to release EV's as needed right away.... instead of having to wait until EVERY CAR ON THE TRACK catches up to a Pace Car. FT will also automatically flag 'violators' of the declared speed during the FCY. It has other potential uses as well.. but they will.. or MIGHT.. come much later. Another thing the FT will do is to report the 'speed at impact' - automatically if it's over ... I think 3 G.. but IIRC, it registers '>X' and '>Y'. Whatever they set those 2 numbers at. That is intended to give the Tower additional info for potential injury to the driver .. as well as the EXACT (more or less) position of the car when it stops.

The tower FT operator has a live (google earth type) track map showing the location of every car - including safety vehicles and every Flag station on the track. It's pretty cool seeing it in action. VERY MUCH like the tracking provided by the broadcasts for F1 races.

I believe it's expected to be 'in play' at most majors this season. SCCA will decide at which point it becomes MANDATORY .. where it will be most effective in immediate 'FCY control'.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

37. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I believe it's expected to be 'in play' at most majors this season. SCCA will decide at which point it becomes MANDATORY .. where it will be most effective in immediate 'FCY control'.
    I'm waiting for the 'slim' version discussed in the other thread:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...g-light-system

Will this mean that the majors will all have the flag display boards at stations?
    To me, requiring an 'incomplete' system (driver only) isn't a good test as those without the in-car display will benefit from the display boards.

I was thinking ( I know that is hard for many of you to believe) But.... How many of us spend much time looking down n the cockpit compared to looking out ahead at the track, traffic and floggers.

It seems to me that unless the Flagtronics light is really huge and bright not many would notice it immediately as opposed to a corner worker jumping up and down waving a yellow flag

Just MHO

40. The following 2 users liked this post:

I was thinking ( I know that is hard for many of you to believe) But.... How many of us spend much time looking down n the cockpit compared to looking out ahead at the track, traffic and floggers.

It seems to me that unless the Flagtronics light is really huge and bright not many would notice it immediately as opposed to a corner worker jumping up and down waving a yellow flag

Just MHO
    My understanding is the panels ARE noticeable as they are bright like ILS lights at the airport.
    Maybe even more so than a corner worker.

The problem is the light panel can't change how it warns - like a corner worker can point to a difficult to see problem.

See the other thread about car installations and the new product to be released.

42. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

My understanding is the panels ARE noticeable as they are bright like ILS lights at the airport.
    Maybe even more so than a corner worker.

The problem is the light panel can't change how it warns - like a corner worker can point to a difficult to see problem.

See the other thread about car installations and the new product to be released.
    Yes, the panels are actually more noticeable than the flags, in my limited experience at Watkins Glen... which generally has good visibility to the stations. On a track with less than ideal flagging locations, I bet these are TONS better.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

44. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 66

If Flagtronics can replace the existing MyLaps transponder subscription then good riddance to MyLaps and I'll be happy to buy the Flagtronics device.

Considering the MyLaps transponder subscription thing has already happened, the lesson should have been learned, and Flagtronics should not be made mandatory without a legally binding guarantee that there will be no annual subscription garbage.

46. The following 7 users liked this post:

If that is true I change everything I have said.11111

Liked: 98

I thought GPS wouldn't be accurate enough for the 'photo finish'.
    A couple things on that - primarily, that's why I said "longer" races. Less of a chance of photo finish.

Second thing, SCCA doesn't rely on the transponder in a close finish either - it's why we determined the Spec Miata tie last year from the finish line camera.
    Jon K - 1986 Swift DB3/Honda

49. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 830

The other factor is that the LIGHT PANELS, require a significant expenditure from the race tracks.. or the supporting SCCA Region. That means a substantial INCREASE in entry fees.. or the tracks/regions/drivers just say NO.

The FT200 system (without panels) requires a bit less investment . At the VIR Runoffs last year, SOMEONE added the light panel at the top of the climbing esses to AUGMENT the 'visuality' of incidents happening on the far side of that turn. The light panel was visible about half way up the esses, so it was a very worthwhile addition. I don't know who paid to have that put there. Could have been SCCA, FT, or someone else. FT DOES offer panels as a additional option for tracks according to their website - but still no idea who funded THAT panel.

Personally, I VASTLY prefer .. and consider it MUCH more 'transparently informative' than just the in-cockpit FT indicator for formula cars... but $$$ talks.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

51. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    The other factor is that the LIGHT PANELS, require a significant expenditure from the race tracks.. or the supporting SCCA Region. That means a substantial INCREASE in entry fees..Steve, FV80
    Roughly speaking the FT 2' square panel is $500.

I do not know what other racing, track day, etc. do for flaggers, but they cannot be having an easier time than SCCA. Seems like a sound investment for the track owners. Renters either pay for flaggers or light panels.

Brian

53. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Roughly speaking the FT 2' square panel is $500.

I do not know what other racing, track day, etc. do for flaggers, but they cannot be having an easier time than SCCA. Seems like a sound investment for the track owners. Renters either pay for flaggers or light panels.

Brian
    Light panels in an of themselves don't mitigate the need for corner workers (to operate them.) On top of the light panel cost, a track seeking to reduce staff costs will need a full coverage video system which is considerably more expensive than the light panels.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

55. The following 3 users liked this post:

Peter for once we agree!!!!

Our workers are indispensable!!!

57. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Our workers are indispensable!!!
    You still have to deal with fewer workers each year. That is a trend that is not going to change.

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Light panels in an of themselves don't mitigate the need for corner workers (to operate them.) On top of the light panel cost, a track seeking to reduce staff costs will need a full coverage video system which is considerably more expensive than the light panels.
    A video system would take a lot of monitoring.

The Flagtronic system claims to monitor all the actions of each car on track. I am going to assume that there are alarm settings in the software that go off when a car on track does something physically out of the norm. This would seem a viable alternative to a video system.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    A video system would take a lot of monitoring.

The Flagtronic system claims to monitor all the actions of each car on track. I am going to assume that there are alarm settings in the software that go off when a car on track does something physically out of the norm. This would seem a viable alternative to a video system.

Brian
    That would be like relying on transponders to score a race. There is no substitute for a pair of Mk 2 eyeballs to enhance the decision process.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Maybe I do not get it but can someone explain how Flagtronics activates only the units in the area of the yellow flag incident. Can not get it straight. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information