Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Made Yet Another Mistake - still learning I guess

This was...stupid of me?

Took the Kent out of the RF 90, replaced it with the fresh one. Old motor had an AP ring-style clutch, the new motor has a Tilton. Old disc was about 90 thou thick, new one is considerably thicker. Bolt it together and off to Mosport.

Clutch doesn't fully disengage - almost, but not quite, making leaving from a stop difficult without stalling. My assumption was that I had failed to bleed all the air out of the system, and therefore wasn't achieving full travel. So I bleed it several times over the day Saturday, to no avail. No change.

Now I am worried that I've got the seals on the slave cylinder nicked and that I am going to have to break the car in two. And I am pissed about it.....Yes, always put a new slave cylinder kit in when you have the motor out!

It never occurred to me (because I totally forgot about it) that I am now using a thicker disc and a different clutch, and the darn system might just require a little more stroke . Finally late on Saturday the idea hits me, I adjust the M/C pushrod, and voila! Perfection.

It's funny how simple things are sometimes.

best,
    bt

2. The following 10 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Thanks for sharing Bill!

The value of sharing a problem WITH THE SOLUTION is immeasurable.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

4. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 799

Assume you lengthened the m/c rod.
    If the pedal is now uncomfortably close to you, switching the m/c for a larger diameter will give you the volume stroke you want with a shorter pedal travel (but requires more foot force). Not free like your fix, but easier than splitting the car :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information