Liked: 597

Default What the heck....or Class ??

In the SouthEast.............
    Various 'Vintage' Classes...but a car that's now 30 years old is not Vintage? Here we go......a 1994 Van Diemen on slicks (cuz that's all it's ever run on) is not welcome at some Vintage events ????
    Ok Ok....it's got an uprated cam due to SCCA rules that came into existence about 10 years ago.
    One Vintage Body said if I showed up at an event where not a lot of others showed up, then I might be accepted,,,,,,
    ,,HUH?
    How can I figure out how many other cars that someone else may or may not decide is near to my "Class" may show uo....
    Would anyone.....who is some sort of an "Official" care to comment,,,,,,,,
    because in the final analysis I'd simply like to get my 94/95 VanDiemen FC on slicks out on the track rather than doing so on the Governer's Highways

Liked: 1112

I'm sure SVRA would find a group for you to run, but you might find yourself a lot slower than other wings n things. Other organizations can be more anal about authenticity. Making you show up with the possibility of being denied is a bad idea on their part.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

SVRA
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    In the SouthEast.............
    Various 'Vintage' Classes...but a car that's now 30 years old is not Vintage? Here we go......a 1994 Van Diemen on slicks (cuz that's all it's ever run on) is not welcome at some Vintage events ????
    Ok Ok....it's got an uprated cam due to SCCA rules that came into existence about 10 years ago.
    One Vintage Body said if I showed up at an event where not a lot of others showed up, then I might be accepted,,,,,,
    ,,HUH?
    How can I figure out how many other cars that someone else may or may not decide is near to my "Class" may show uo....
    Would anyone.....who is some sort of an "Official" care to comment,,,,,,,,
    because in the final analysis I'd simply like to get my 94/95 VanDiemen FC on slicks out on the track rather than doing so on the Governer's Highways
    When your car was new, your race group was usually, F/Atlantic, F/C, C/SR and S2000. In vintage, expect to be grouped with F5000, F/Atlantic and B/SR. Have fun trying to out accelerate 200+horsepower cars that have wider tires. Your enjoyment will come with the knowledge that your car is ten times less expensive to operate than most of those in your vintage race group.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    Your enjoyment will come with the knowledge that your car is ten times less expensive to operate than most of those in your vintage race group.
    Ten? More.

And some do make a glorious sound as they go by.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Eye, it all depends on the location. When I was in NC I raced with you guys because the vintage clubs on the east coast wouldn't accept a F2000 FC. I spoke to a couple of them back in 2016, but at the time they weren't interested. Some clubs have benefactors that cover track rental, so they don't have to be concerned about smaller fields, etc. I remember a HSR-West event at Willow Springs that had all of 45 entries.

I brought my car to VARA in 2003. The car was 9 years old. For a year I ran as "exhibition" until the board decided to accept us. The next year I believe we had 6 cars. Lots of clubs have that catch-all class, because they don't want to turn away a really cool one-off. The club pres at the time pointed out that when they first accepted FF they were about 9 years old. His first question was could you bring more of these? The biggest resistance was from a couple of FSV guys (now long gone). By 2008-ish we had 11 running. A few guys bought Zetecs and moved up to Pacific F2000. One season we had 11 different FCs show up. Then 2008 happened and I was the only guy for quite a while. We're back up to 3-5 per weekend now.

SVRA does accept F2000s and you run in group 9 with seriously fast stuff. To me that's not the main issue - its making us compete with F2 cars while the S2000s get their own class - by the same logic they should be classed with 2L sports racers with 300 hp....

In Colorado RMVR accepts F2000s, as does CVAR.

For a few clubs, the world just stopped in 1972.

Liked: 66

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    When your car was new, your race group was usually, F/Atlantic, F/C, C/SR and S2000. In vintage, expect to be grouped with F5000, F/Atlantic and B/SR. Have fun trying to out accelerate 200+horsepower cars that have wider tires. Your enjoyment will come with the knowledge that your car is ten times less expensive to operate than most of those in your vintage race group.
    And don't forget to upgrade your rear view mirrors. Maybe they should allow rear view cameras for the driver....
    Lola T250 HU09, T252 HU26, T328 HU97
    2004 Noble M12 GTO3R, 710 bhp

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Ten? More.

And some do make a glorious sound as they go by.
    There is a Tyrell (004 I think?) that runs in SOVREN and when it goes by on the straight, it's exhaust is the most evil and loud harmonic you've ever heard. Very impressive sound!
    Jim Phoenix Van Diemen RF79 CF

Liked: 33

Default FC in Vintage

In the Midwest, VSCDA will welcome you with open arms and typically run with the F/SV and FA race group.
    Fletch
    March 79V

11. The following members LIKED this post:

kea

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Your VD is welcome in Group 6 with CVAR, We currently race at COTA, Eagles Canyon and Hallett. The Group includes FFs, FAs and S2000s and FCs (FCs trough 1995). We use split starts.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

kea

Thread Information