Liked: 1868

Default Wood or aluminium gear cases

Who nowadays sells gear cases? A friend wants one for his stuff.

Liked: 530

Seems someone here was 3d printing now

Liked: 942

I find the flat wood case is a pain. No where to store it easily in the trailer or shop. The two best ideas I've seen are using the plastic stubs that pegasus sells and installing them in a rollaway box drawer. I don't have rollaway drawer space for that, so I found these
    Dewalt boxes

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dwst0...zer?tid=576761

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dwst1...lid?tid=576761
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Mike Beauchamp and I can 3d print the gear spuds. I found an old toolbox with 3 drawers and a lift up lid. a gear change tool kit goes in the top, spares and cotter pins in the first drawer, tops in the second drawer, and firsts in the bottom drawer.

I keep my 3d printed change jig and parts sorter in an old shoe box.

The toolbox is pretty dang heavy.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Along those lines, I have a toolbox with pieces of wooden dowel rod attached to 1/2" plywood cut to fit in the box. I have 3 layers which is plenty for me to store about 20 gearsets and some dog rings and cost very little..

Liked: 1868

Thanks, guys, but after talking it over this afternoon, it looks like he's going to try to find some plastic closable boxes - he doesn't have many gears (autocrossing).

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

I'm not sure if the size of these cases is right https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...xes,52680.html

Liked: 597

1. A friend has his gears dry and/or with a little oil left on them and zip tied together in the pair and they are all loose together in an old Army surplus ammo box securely stuffed in place in the trailer.

2. How about each gear, following inspection, still covered in their oil from coming out of the tranny, going into a separate small baggie which gets folded over to provide some cushioning when they get stacked together.....and then cushioned via folded paper towels in between the baggies and then each set gets stuffed in a box a little bigger than the stack of gears with more paper towels on either side of the gears stacked inside the box for cushioning when in transit. The boxes are part of what has been mostly just the small boxes that my Patient's contact lenses arrive in.......sort of Mother of Invention. Eight boxes fit inside an old Attache case that go to the track. Four empty boxes (the ones in the car) four optional or back-up ratios. The other sets stay home in the drawer in the garage. All the boxes are labeled on the outside of course.

Liked: 702

I’m not sure this will be my final solution but I bought a Harbor Fright storage case and 3D printed some storage posts that have been slightly stretched to meet the underside of the lid so the gears stay put during transport. The posts are bonded to the bottom of the case with a structural adhesive (3M 8115). There’s room for the gear change tool and a few more gears. It’s fine for now but I might have to rethink it as gear inventory increases.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike B; 07.27.23 at 8:51 AM.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information