Liked: 39

Default Importing a Racecar from Canada to the USA

Does anyone have experience advice for importing a racecar from Canada to the USA?

Subject car is a Lola formula car and older than 25 years. I know I need to complete a HS-7 declaration form. What's not clear is whether I should import under Box 1 (Greater than 25 years) or Box 8 (not manufactured for use on public roads).

Also, if imported under Box 8, the NHTSA website states that "a manufacturer's letter should be attached to the HS-7 Declaration form that is submitted to Customs when entry in made." Given Lola Cars ceased operations in 2012, I don't know how to get such a letter.

I have already reached out to NHTSA for guidance.

Does anyone have experience to share here?

I'd prefer not to pay for an importer to ship the car and manage the pickup as I don't live that far from the Canadian border, and it's easy for me to go get the car.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

I can't tell you which box to use - I went the other way (US to Canada). However, of all the things I learned (I even used a broker for the paperwork, and it still was not a cakewalk) it all would have gone to shart at the border if the car did not have the chassis tag on it. They don't care what it looks like, as long as it has a manufacturer's name on it and a number for the chassis, they consider that the VIN and it allows them to check that box.

If your Lola does not have one, figure out a way to make one to replace the missing one. Again, it does not have to be pretty.

good luck
    bt

Liked: 1397

Years ago I made lots of trips across the Canadian border. What I can tell you is to have lost of paper work prepared. Plan on having copies to give to the customs people.

List every thing you are taking across the border. Have several copies. When I crossed, I would stop at the US side and give them a copy of what I was taking across so when I returned, they would have that list.

Liked: 39

Default Success

I appreciate everyone's feedback here as well as other forums where I asked. I received lots of suggestions ranging from hiring a broker/shipping company to how to smuggle the car into the country.

In the end, it was super easy, so I thought I'd share the process I followed.

1) I simply called the customs office at the border I intended to cross, explained what I wanted to important. They told me all I needed to do was show up with a bill of sale and that they would help me fill out the paperwork.
    2) When I arrived, I declared the car and was told where to proceed. I gave them my passport, drivers license, a copy of the bill of sale, and a copy of the wire transfer receipt matching the bill of sale. The filled out the HS-7 form for me, Box 8.
    3) When asked about import duty, I showed them the previous import paperwork from 2008 when the car was moved from the US to Canada. As it was originally a US car, there was no duty due.

The entire process took less than 30 minutes. It was a rainy day, so they didn't bother to look at the car or verify the chassis number. Note that this was for a formula car, so the process would likely require more paperwork if it were a street car or production-based racecar. As with most situations in life, up-front and clear communication, being polite and patient, being educated going into the situation, and seeking to make a personal connection with everyone at the customs office I interacted with won the day.

5. The following 7 users liked this post:

Thread Information