Liked: 447

Default Headed to the Panhandle next month. Pointers?

Hey ApexSpeed,
    My family and I are headed for an extended weekend getaway next month to get some beach time. Never been there before, but wife wants to stay between the Destin and Panama City areas along 30A. What do we need to be aware of? Places to stay, places to eat, must do's, etc?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Every animal has the potential to kill you.

Proceed accordingly.

Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 41

You should check with Rick Iverson, he lives in Destin.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 702

Not sure if architecture is your thing but Seaside is a very interesting little town to check out. It's where they filmed The Truman Show.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 78

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Hey ApexSpeed,
    My family and I are headed for an extended weekend getaway next month to get some beach time. Never been there before, but wife wants to stay between the Destin and Panama City areas along 30A. What do we need to be aware of? Places to stay, places to eat, must do's, etc?
    If you are interested in snorkeling or scuba diving, one of the best places to go to are the jetties in Destin. The first time we went was on a boat from a local dive shop (there are quite a few available), but then I learned you can just walk there along a public beach access way near the end of Gulf Shore Drive. In my experience, there have been so many fish feeding there, it sounds like popcorn underwater, and every now and then a barracuda or something else large swims through the area. Have fun.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

To truly understand the "culture" a half day trip to Crab Island is a must. We usually rent a boat in Destin and cruise over.

Also, check out the Blue Angels training schedule on-line. The show is free and spectatular, a short drive to Pensacola Beach.

Restaurants ... we like Destin's variety more so than most of 30A. My favorite is eating out on the dock at Dewey Destin's Seafood bayside location.

Grayton Beach State Park will give you an idea of how nice all the natural beaches were before the "invasion". As will St. Joe Peninsula State Park, and St George
    Island State Park.

On the surface it sounds "tacky", but the dolphin watch cruises out of Destin in the late afternoon are well worth it.

Be careful about over-doing the Sun. Many ruin their vacation by getting too burned on the first day.

To maintain your sanity... never ever go farther East than Seaside! Avoid the whole Panama City Beach scene. We hang out a lot at Mexico Beach / Port St. Joe. And we enjoy the scene from Apachicola to Panacea... but it isn't your classic tourist area.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 07.06.23 at 9:06 AM.

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Last edited by DanW; 07.06.23 at 11:09 AM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Several years back while visiting the area a native took us on a kayak trip down Econfina creek. Pretty cool - there are cold springs that well up from under the creek and make these swimmable pools.

Thread Information