Liked: 64

Default FF Racing in Arizona, the Best Bang for the $$?

I just started racing in Arizona this year with the ProAutoSports in the Euro Formula Ford class. Bought a very good car a 1993 Euro-Swift for a mid-teen price and arranged for a shop to store, maintain, take it to the track and provide support at the track, all a very positive experience. Tire bill is minimal at 3 races per set, I still have not run a 2nd set of tires and I've put 32 heat cycles on my 1st of tires and the entry fees are cheap, we use Aviation fuel, so it's not expensive. Arizona has a lot of tracks near the Phoenix area, so there is variety and there 7 or 8 race per year in the PSA championship series. Overall, it seems that the cost to go FF racing is relatively inexpensive. Also, not having to buy a tow vehicle, trailer and specialty tool is a big upfront saver. The downside is there is no racing in the summer and I can't seem to find anywhere to practice w/o joining a $40K initiation fee for a club. It seems a like good formula, there are cars available at a reasonable price but the turnout is somewhat lackluster and I'm disappointed. Maybe it's the economy.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

Hey Larry,

Yes, fields have been a little thin this year, and the decision by some to go a little faster on Hoosiers or a lot faster in FC has compounded the problem. We missed you at INDE over Memorial Day, hope we'll see you again Labor Day when I'm hopeful more of the core EFF group will show. ..and maybe I can match your pace if you'll just stay with those old tires.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default AZ FF Racing @ INDE

Tim, It's been a long time between races. I'll be at INDE for sure.

Larry

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 211

Quote Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
    I just started racing in Arizona this year with the ProAutoSports in the Euro Formula Ford class. Bought a very good car a 1993 Euro-Swift for a mid-teen price and arranged for a shop to store, maintain, take it to the track and provide support at the track, all a very positive experience. Tire bill is minimal at 3 races per set, I still have not run a 2nd set of tires and I've put 32 heat cycles on my 1st of tires and the entry fees are cheap, we use Aviation fuel, so it's not expensive. Arizona has a lot of tracks near the Phoenix area, so there is variety and there 7 or 8 race per year in the PSA championship series. Overall, it seems that the cost to go FF racing is relatively inexpensive. Also, not having to buy a tow vehicle, trailer and specialty tool is a big upfront saver. The downside is there is no racing in the summer and I can't seem to find anywhere to practice w/o joining a $40K initiation fee for a club. It seems a like good formula, there are cars available at a reasonable price but the turnout is somewhat lackluster and I'm disappointed. Maybe it's the economy.

care to share the costs for entry fees as well as shop support? If I where to return to racing this sounds like what I am looking for

thank you
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 323

Quote Originally Posted by LenFC11 View Post
    care to share the costs for entry fees as well as shop support? If I where to return to racing this sounds like what I am looking for

thank you
    I ran with ProAuto earlier this year at the Podium Club event. If I remember correctly the entry fee was $300 or $350. The most recent format has been 4 sessions on Saturday and 3 sessions Sunday. Sunday race is typically a bit longer. Sat race is 20 min and Sun race 30 min.

https://proautosports.com/

https://www.facebook.com/eformulaford

This link will get you to some photos of the 18 wheeler that the local Arizona prep shop runs out of and I would think there is a way to contact him through this FB page. Probably best to go straight to the source to get cost of prep / storage / transport etc.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Call Jens Plougmann for his support rates. I PM'ed you his number. Entry fees for ProAutoSports are typically $350-400 for a 7-8 session weekend. Some tracks have Friday practice for another $100-200. In the past we've also done summer tours to SVRA, other vintage, and even F1 support race (Montreal) events for more $. The 50th at RA was a highlight.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 211

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Call Jens Plougmann for his support rates. I PM'ed you his number. Entry fees for ProAutoSports are typically $350-400 for a 7-8 session weekend. Some tracks have Friday practice for another $100-200. In the past we've also done summer tours to SVRA, other vintage, and even F1 support race (Montreal) events for more $. The 50th at RA was a highlight.

Thank you. I met Jens a number of times. I’ll reach out to him

How many cars generally show up each weekend??
    Last edited by LenFC11; 07.02.23 at 9:56 PM.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 182

We are all indebted to Jens for all he does for open wheel racing.

Unfortunate we lost Wildhorse/Firebird. Convenient for sorting, testing if one avoids the curbs, potholes and bumps.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LenFC11 View Post
    How many cars generally show up each weekend??
    Numbers are definitely down. Last event I took first (and last) place as the only one running the Toyo tires. Typically this year there have been 4-5 of us compared to twice that in previous years. The balance of the run group comprises FFs on Hoosiers or slicks, a couple of SRFs, a rare S2000, Legends, or F600, and an assortment of winged cars (FC, FE, Mazdas, even old FA). On the whole we all manage to play pretty well together. Jens has had to disinvite the rare driver who just takes things too seriously.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

The pandemic unavailability of Toyo tires in Arizona contributed to the move to Hoosiers. We're considering going to the ProTour 1600 support race at the Montreal F1 race next year. We'll switch back to Toyo's if Marcel is able to get them for the ProTour 1600 series next year. Most of the FF cars in our series ran Toyo's in the past so the setup changes are fairly trivial. Just need to drive a weekend to get reacquainted with the different handling characteristics.

Keep having fun.

Jim

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Edmonds View Post
    We're considering going to the ProTour 1600 support race at the Montreal F1 race next year. We'll switch back to Toyo's if Marcel is able to get them for the ProTour 1600 series next year.
    The Mexico City F1 support race, also on Toyos, has not been ruled out. Probably not this year, though.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Larry, So you don't think going from Arizona to Montreal F1 support race is whimsical, we took a minimum of five cars in 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019.

One of the original reasons we started running Toyo's in Arizona in 2011 was thinking about Montreal. Montreal is only a four day tow each way. Ha.

YMMV

Jim

2001 Van Diemen FF
    1995 Stohr F3
    2017 MV Agusta F3 track day bike

Default Adding a car in AZ

The conversion of my car into an FF is nearing completion. Saved the worst job for last !! Chop up the Pinto engine cover and make it work with the Kent.

Soon to be adding this FF to car counts in AZ. I will be easy to locate.... this will be the car behind Jim Edmonds trying to keep up!!

Attached Images Attached Images

22. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 182

Few things more fun than fiberglass work during the Arizona summer.
    Interesting electronic muscle stimulator for the left shoulder.??????

Great to have another FF to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    Interesting electronic muscle stimulator for the left shoulder.??????
    I fall asleep at grid sometimes. This is my alarm clock.

Default Toyo Availability and Next ProAutoSports Weekend

I haven't had a problem with Toyo availability but have heard that there was or still might be. I've thought about going to Hoosiers at the end of the year but probably will not, as I have brand new set of Toyos that need to be worn down.

The next ProAutoSports race is Sept 2-3 with likely a Friday practice. The link to their site is: https://proautosports.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
    I haven't had a problem with Toyo availability but have heard that there was or still might be.
    Bryan, our regular supplier, still can't get them, but they can be ordered from several online sources or through Discount Tire. Jens is evaluating another DOT alternative.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Thread Information