Thread: Wayne Mitchell

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default Wayne Mitchell

Wayne passed away yesterday. Many of you know him as the owner/machinist for dogrings.com. What many of you probably don't know is that he raced F3 with Hunt and Lauda.

On returning to the US he built all the March FFs sold over here.

Such a nice guy, a real craftsman, and he'll be missed.

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 16

Default End of an era

I have known Wayne and Mary Mitchell as close friends for 13 years now since I came to VARA. I had the pleasure of watching the last F1 race with him in his home just the other day. He had been struggling with severe back issues for the last few years which limited is mobility and prevented him from attending races. He was an amazing man. He could sit and sketch his solution to any engineering problem with great insight, and had the means to realize those sketches in his shop. He built March Formula Fords under license from March UK and I had the good fortune to own one. Within VARA he was known as the ultimate authority at tech and Black flag. Anyone approaching us at Black Flag wanted to talk to Wayne. That mantle now falls to John Kouba who has been fulfilling the role in Wayne's absence. I have spoken with Mary who is doing well and is glad that he is no longer in pain. She has been caring for him for all this time with great care and at not insignificant personal sacrifice.

In the end, Wayne was frustrated at his inability to function as he had, and it weighed heavily on him. I am told that he passed peacefully. Now... no more pain. I will personally miss him very much. I wish he was still here. He was so generous with his advice and counsel, and so fun to talk to.
    Please pray that the peace that passes all understanding falls on Mary and her daughter and granddaughters in the difficult days ahead. Bill Pierce

4. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

When I was in NC I came back once per year for Vara U and had a chat with Wayne - must have been 2016-ish. He had been having back issues for a very long time and was thrilled to be getting fusion in hopes of relieving some of his pain. Next time I saw him was probably 2018 and he was so dejected - told me that he was probably going to stop machining because he could no longer pick up and install a chuck.

Back about 2007 or so I was putting tires on after unloading at Buttonwillow and found the brake ear on a rear upright nearly cracked all the way through, ending my weekend early. Wayne fixed it with the admonishment "BUY A NEW ONE!"

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 101

I new Wayne from Aviation , then auto racing, Great friend he will be missed
    RIP my friend
    Dave Dwoskin
    Penske rt5
    Swift 016

Liked: 301

Still use my bubble-level camber gauge from Wayne Mitchell Engineering. (since about 1985)

Thoughts & prayers for his family & friends.
    Godspeed.
    Glenn

Thread Information