Liked: 313

Default Renting tow vehicle

Did a search and looks like this was discussed some years ago.

Very sad news, my 1993 Dodge broke its Cummins engine. Debating repair vs replace and then thought rental.

I called my local Enterprise truck rental and looks like about $120/day after taxes, etc. Talked to the assistant manager and it sounds straight forward. Asked about insurance and he said shouldn’t be an issue.

Anyone doing this and have firsthand experience?

Liked: 44

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post

Very sad news, my 1993 Dodge broke its Cummins engine. Debating repair vs replace and then thought rental.

I called my local Enterprise truck rental and looks like about $120/day after taxes, etc. Talked to the assistant manager and it sounds straight forward. Asked about insurance and he said shouldn’t be an issue.

Is there not a milage charge?

Liked: 13

Default Enterprise

I've been using Enterprise trucks since I returned to racing a couple years ago and it's worked well. Current rates here locally are $125/day, 150 free miles/day, .$39/ mile above that. It usually runs $500-700 for a weekend. Not cheap but way cheaper than financing, maintaining and insuring a similar truck that I would otherwise have to purchase.

For towing purposes, you have to take their one ton diesel. Not a problem in and of itself but fuel cost is a bit higher and the ride is considerable stiffer than a half ton, which my wife has, um, pointed out repeatedly, I tow a 7X16 enclosed and the truck pulls it like it's not even there.

Due to demand, I have found that you have to reserve early, several weeks ahead of time. Make sure you get an email confirmation, then call again a few days ahead, to confirm once again. I failed to do that for an race last year and almost was left without a tow vehicle on the morning we had to leave.

Most of the trucks are fairly low mileage so they're comfortable (the ride not withstanding) and everything works.

Check with your insurance agent to make sure you're covered so you don't have to buy their insurance.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 21

I rented an Enterprise truck a few years ago to haul my trailer from California to Wisconsin and back to pick up a car. No mileage charge. It worked out great for me.............bob

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

How big is your trailer? A 3/4 ton van from U-Haul might be more economical than a big truck.
    Graham

Liked: 98

Default RV?

Or, you could rent an RV to tow with and save on motel costs. I don't know what those cost, or whether it would actually save money.

Greg

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

I've been renting from Enterprise for the last few races - and moving my daughter back from school.

Make sure you look at the weekly rate as well. $349 w/1000mi.

They ding you $25/day for towing. I've had that charge waived or reduced.

A few weeks ago I rented a 2023 Ram for a week with 1300mi on it. Put 1650 mi on it. $718.

Note about Insurance: Talk to your insurance company.
    There are certain conditions you may not be covered - but it had to do with limits, comprehensive covered, etc.
    If you only have liability required by law - you're not covered.

One of the other benefits of renting is the lack of a mileage penalty on your own insurance.
    Renting = free coverage. That 1650 miles I just ran is not reflected in any rate on any of my cars - which you pay for next year.

Liked: 799

If you have an LLC (or other biz reg), Enterprise near us will give you better rates, even have monthly and 6-month rates that started to look like an alternative to owning a truck.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    If you have an LLC (or other biz reg), Enterprise near us will give you better rates, even have monthly and 6-month rates that started to look like an alternative to owning a truck.
    When you rent they ask you if it's personal or business.
    If the contract says business I'm certain your personal auto insurance provides no coverage.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    When you rent they ask you if it's personal or business.
    If the contract says business I'm certain your personal auto insurance provides no coverage.
    yes, typical of most personal policies.
    a corporates credit card will often cover it though.

as Matt Damon said in the movie… “ you do the math…” :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by holmberg View Post
    Or, you could rent an RV to tow with and save on motel costs. I don't know what those cost, or whether it would actually save money.

Greg
    I researched this a few years ago and most rental RVs I found either had a no towing policy or a ridiculously low max weight (less than the RV's rating).

Cory

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by holmberg View Post

Greg
    Renting an RV is WAY more expensive than motel costs and renting a pickup. The rental cost probably offsets the motel, but the fuel cost in most RVs will be 2x or more. Generally the RV is also less nice to drive.

You have to really want the RV, it's a nice to have, but definitely does not tick many "logical" boxes.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post

I just did this because our hauler needed a radiator that was on 6 week+ backorder. I borrowed the father in law's Ram 1500 for an in town (literal) pull to attend a May race. Then I rented an Enterprise Ram 2500 for 4 days (Fri to Mon) for an in-state race in June. Well within the mileage covered with the rental. There is an additional $25/day to tow. I asked for a Silverado 2500, an F250 was reserved for me instead as the Silverado was getting fixed. When I got there the F250 had a check engine; so I was given a Ram 2500. I ran out of options to attend this race and had to rent. In the end, I envision it is not remotely economical to do this for the summer.

Thread Information