Liked: 4

Default Smallest Open Trailer For a FM Car?

Hi,

Hoping for some guidance. What would be the smallest open trailer size that I could use for an FM car? I imagine they’re too big to use as a folding trailer. Cheers and thanks.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
    Hi,

Hoping for some guidance. What would be the smallest open trailer size that I could use for an FM car? I imagine they’re too big to use as a folding trailer. Cheers and thanks.
    6x14 or even 6x12 open will work, but it needs to be a low trailer, or have long ramps - ground clearance is just less than 2". Take the nose off, makes it easier.
    Jim Phoenix Van Diemen RF79 CF

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jphoenix13 View Post
    6x14 or even 6x12 open will work, but it needs to be a low trailer, or have long ramps - ground clearance is just less than 2". Take the nose off, makes it easier.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if smaller than a 14 would work. Cheers.

Liked: 52

Many moons ago, I used a 16' utility trailer. It was big enough to have a rudimentary tire rack on the front and hold a spare nose/wing assembly at the rear, with nothing overhanging.
    Before you buy, consider what else you will want with you at the track and where it all will go (trailer or tow vehicle).

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWinkelman View Post
    Many moons ago, I used a 16' utility trailer. It was big enough to have a rudimentary tire rack on the front and hold a spare nose/wing assembly at the rear, with nothing overhanging.
    Before you buy, consider what else you will want with you at the track and where it all will go (trailer or tow vehicle).

Yes and thanks. I like the idea of small. Easier to store.

Liked: 1397

Default Small Trailer

Hi,

The smallest trailer I had was built by Autodynamics for their FV. This was 1968 when I bought this trailer. With a FV, the trailer was such that the 4 wheels of the FV were at the 4 corners of the deck. That trailer was designed so that it tilted about the axle. and if you added rear ramps, such a design would work for you application.

The trailer did not have springs. Also, it used FV front spindles that were modified so they bolted inside a 3" square tube that formed the main structure of the trailer. It was possible to use the FV tires and wheels if I needed a spare for the trailer.

I used that trailer for many years, until I started building my own trailers and I moved up to FF.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default Steve is spot on, as usual.

although I think the FM is wider and longer lol

Liked: 942

I crewed for a friend with an FM about 15 years ago. He hauled it on a 7x14 utility trailer behind his class B motorhome. He used some Hazard Fraught curved ramps to load it.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 22

Hi,

Actually, since storage space is a problem, you can get by with no trailer at all. Just Google search this: Pete Lovely's Lotus 49 on a VW transporter. A Lotus 49 is a F1 car, so the FM will easily fit.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    Actually, since storage space is a problem, you can get by with no trailer at all. Just Google search this: Pete Lovely's Lotus 49 on a VW transporter. A Lotus 49 is a F1 car, so the FM will easily fit.

Times have changed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6193.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	107965  

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 17

Towed mine in a 12x7 slant v-nose (14' to front of v) and it "fit like a glove."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FD169AD-6D71-4FD4-B452-1783F016C9AF.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	108158  

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 109

Default FC

I did an FC in a 14x7 and it was excellent! Love it. Easy and minimalistic. Less work then current rig and towed like a dream.

Liked: 5

I was also looking for a trailer for my FM...Kendon Stand-Up™ Utility Trailer Folding Multi-Purpose Utility Trailers$5,099.00 . Part #: UT305SXS.
    I needed to fit the car and trailer in my standard sized 2 car garage and this was the only option I had found that worked well for me.
    Best of luck!

Thread Information