Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Tire pressure sensor

Do the sensor in side the wheel on pickup have a battery that goes bad over time? My 2011 Chevy seem to be losing data from the left rear wheel on and off. Thinking that may be the issue.

Ed

Liked: 702

Yes, they do. Manufacturer's claim the batteries will last 7-8 years. I've had some fall short of that and some last a lot longer. If the sensors are original you might need batteries. The dealer might be able to scan them to see the battery life or if there is some other problem.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member

Default 13 years

Guess at 13 years mine have out lived their planned lift.

But then the original battery lasted 11 years, so long lift is a thing with this truck

Ed

Liked: 799

I've read conflicting info on whether the batteries are replaceable or not.
    New sensors aren't cheap, and there's also claims about needing to buy a tool or pay someone to code them to your car.

Mine are 9 years old, so please post what you find out.
    Thx
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    New sensors aren't cheap, and there's also claims about needing to buy a tool or pay someone to code them to your car.

Thx
    Most are "not" replaceable, but you can probably find someone online that shows you how to cut out and replace the battery.

The "tool" depends on the vehicle. Most need a magnet like a large washer that you set on the wheel to be programmed.

Programming also depends on the vehicle. Some can be done through the dash, some require a programmer tool.

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

Thx
    A new sensor should only be $20-30, depending on make/model and where you buy it. Some new sensors can be programmed with a phone app but if you're changing a sensor you're also dismounting, mounting, and balancing your tires. For most people that means bringing the vehicle to a tire store which should have the programming tool.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    A new sensor should only be $20-30, depending on make/model and where you buy it. Some new sensors can be programmed with a phone app but if you're changing a sensor you're also dismounting, mounting, and balancing your tires. For most people that means bringing the vehicle to a tire store which should have the programming tool.
    local tire shop quoted me $149/tire (!!!!!!!!) for a replacement sensor. They were somewhat insulted when I suggested I could tape over the light on the dash and just be diligent with checking pressures like we always did pre-TPS ????
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 597

Default Alfred E. Newman Racing here - What, me worry ??

I don't mind checking tire pressures myself and ignoring lights on the dash.....saves on duct tape that way. The F-150 check engine light has been on the past 15,000 miles, I get 24 miles to the gallon and the V-6 runs cool and doesn't use oil.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    I don't mind checking tire pressures myself and ignoring lights on the dash......
    ditto, I sure wont pay more for a sensor than I did for the tires
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 113

Yes, the sensors will have a limited life. They have inertia switches in them so that they only consume power when in motion but eventually the batteries will become discharged. While the sensors themselves are of reasonable cost there is labor involved in removal re installation and reprogramming.

Yes, it is true that TPMS is largely redundant for those who actively maintain their vehicles. TPMS was introduced to counteract catastrophic failures among those who never checked tire pressure.

It is just another point on the escalation in the industry to make vehicles non serviceable by owners.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Contributing Member

Default Fuse

Thinking I will see if I can just pull the fuse on it and be done with it. The light is on all the time anyway and the factory pressure for the rear tires is 80 psi. Ever try driving a pickup with an empty bed in the rain with 80 psi in the rear tires?

Liked: 43

I bought this a couple of years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Pressure-Programing-Activation-Lifetime/dp/B08CDNJT77/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=autel+tpms&qid=1685629789&sr=8-9&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

I have replaced several sensors, it seems when one dies others will follow suit soon.

I have a bead breaker so I can do this at home.

Autel sells universal sensors for under $30 each. No need to buy vehicle specific sensors.

This tool is also very handy when one rotates the tires, it is easy to reprogram the TPMS system once the tires are rotated.

I'll have to say, since I'm now driving a bit more modern vehicle (2018 Yukon Denali), and had a tire with a slow leak that was nearly impossible to find as it didn't always leak, having the ability to display the actual accurate pressure in each tire is pretty nice. That leak was weird, it would go 4-5 days with no loss, then lose 10 pounds in one night of sitting. It had a cut in the sidewall that only leaked when positioned just right. My 2006 Avalanche will display each pressure, but you have to purposely scroll through them. On the Denali you just choose to display all 4 all the time if you want.

Liked: 268

Default Tire pressure sensors

When they fail you can get factory replacements very cheaply on E Bay, in fact when a couple failed on my last F150 I bought 4 new Ford Parts replacement units for about $36. The dealer wanted about $75 from their parts for just ONE!

Thread Information