Thread: Spring rates

Liked: 123

Default Spring rates

I know this is a loaded question… However, I just bought a PFM last week and put it on a stand today to fix the left side pod floor (small crack). When I looked inder the car, the wood under the engine was worn away, as was the first 5 inches of the diffuser.
    My question is what is an average spring rate for the rear of the car?? And typical ride height (measured where?) for a driver that is say 190 lbs???? It appears that this car has been dragging the rear around under load.

Liked: 52

Quote Originally Posted by captdigi View Post
    I know this is a loaded question… However, I just bought a PFM last week and put it on a stand today to fix the left side pod floor (small crack). When I looked inder the car, the wood under the engine was worn away, as was the first 5 inches of the diffuser.
    My question is what is an average spring rate for the rear of the car?? And typical ride height (measured where?) for a driver that is say 190 lbs???? It appears that this car has been dragging the rear around under load.
    I would recommend reaching out directly to someone running the cars, but failing that - there appears to be a wealth of information here:
    https://starracecars.com/resources/

The 2009/10 Suspension update document has a sample baseline setup, as well as a bunch of technical information. There's also information about just about every system on the car.

Yes. I’m hoping that someone who is my size, that is actively racing, would respond with info. However, the link you provided will answer many upcoming questions. Thanks.

=LarryWinkelman;652568]I would recommend reaching out directly to someone running the cars, but failing that - there appears to be a wealth of information here:
    https://starracecars.com/resources/

The 2009/10 Suspension update document has a sample baseline setup, as well as a bunch of technical information. There's also information about just about every system on the car.[/QUOTE]

Liked: 7

Default Spring rates

I'm a little lighter than you (about 25 pounds), but I also often run the car full of fuel just so I can get multiple sessions between fuelings (which means I'm carrying an extra 40 to 45 pounds that I don't really need in the beginning). At VIR or Road Atlanta, I run 900 pounds on the front and 800 on the back with about a 1.5 inch ride height. For me, that's a comfortable setup and the car never bottoms out (my Formula Mazda, on the other hand, will bottom out consistently at a couple spots at VIR). You didn't specifically ask, but I also run a little toe in on the front - simply driver preference (tight versus loose setup).

Thanks for the response!!
    What ride heights are you running, and where are you measuring?
    Thanks Much!!
    John

QUOTE=CSasfai;652579]I'm a little lighter than you (about 25 pounds), but I also often run the car full of fuel just so I can get multiple sessions between fuelings (which means I'm carrying an extra 40 to 45 pounds that I don't really need in the beginning). At VIR or Road Atlanta, I run 900 pounds on the front and 800 on the back with about a 1.5 inch ride height. For me, that's a comfortable setup and the car never bottoms out (my Formula Mazda, on the other hand, will bottom out consistently at a couple spots at VIR). You didn't specifically ask, but I also run a little toe in on the front - simply driver preference (tight versus loose setup).[/QUOTE]

Liked: 278

It will depend on what tires you are using and what generation of rockers are on the car

Liked: 7

I measure the ride height at the front of the shovel and back edge of the belly pan. I think I have about a quarter to half inch of rake, I can't remember exactly. I know the front is 1.5 inches.

Thread Information