Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 235

Default News From Hoosier Re: C Mod Tires

I sent an email to Adam Batton, the Circuit Racing Business Unit Manager at Hoosier. I'll break down what he said into two quotes.

The purpose of my email was to ask about the use of radial street tires on Formula Fords in autocross. He responded directly to the question but then added another encouraging statement that we all need to consider very honestly.

Here's his statement, un-edited, on the use of radial street tires for our cars:
    Adam Batton: I personally think a radial street tire will be too stiff, heavy, and not compliant enough to warm up the tread compound to an acceptable level in a solo/autocross application for a CM. The weight and geometry of these cars favor a bias ply construction.
    Then with no prodding from me, he added a critical piece of information about possibly continuing manufacture of the R20 cantilever:
    Adam Batton: If you think there is a resurgence of interest in this class and we will sell at least 60 tires/year in the R20 cantilever, I have no problem keeping this as an active spec. We just want to avoid building tires once every three years and having an aging inventory on hand.
    This is obviously terrific news! The question is do YOU think we FF owners in C Mod can meet this requirement? My feeling is we can do that without problem. But do you?

I believe C Mod's recent history of stunted purchasing is due to a combination of two things: (1) we don't use the road race FF tire (which is R60 compound), and (2) our purchase of tires was highly depressed by the pandemic. Many people weren't getting out to nearly as many events due to covid but the high cost of fuel, especially when trailering, kept a higher percentage in the Prepared and Modified classes away.

So fellow class mates ... can we meet Hoosiers' needs and buy 30 pair of rear tires a year?

Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    I believe C Mod's recent history of stunted purchasing is due to a combination of two things: (1) we don't use the road race FF tire (which is R60 compound), and (2) our purchase of tires was highly depressed by the pandemic. Many people weren't getting out to nearly as many events due to covid but the high cost of fuel, especially when trailering, kept a higher percentage in the Prepared and Modified classes away.

So fellow class mates ... can we meet Hoosiers' needs and buy 30 pair of rear tires a year?

Hello Jim,

Again Jim without you on this venture a lot of the BS behind the curtains would not be happening and the fact we got tire built for this year is so cool BUT...

I hoping your right that we can get 30 pair of rear tires sold every year, from what I understand they sold 66 tires and I would bet a pair or 2 at the last min. So for me the big question is, if we can't sell 30 pairs of tires a year would we in the same point we are now?, calling and asking people to buy tires is going to be a hardship on the person or person's doing that, at some point we will saturate the pool of buyers and then sell 10 to 15 sets in 2025. Now we have to start up the discussion again about the 6" and 8" FC rims again at which point it will not happen until 2026, if at all.

I'm all in for Hoosier building us tires without and supply issues in the near future but IF! we run low on purchasing power and Hooiser calls it again how unfortunate would that be.

Ben

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 309

Default CM Class Sustainability/Growth...

So fellow class mates...can we meet Hoosiers' needs and buy 30 pair of rear tires a year?
    Jim,

First off, I appreciate the amount of effort you have put into locking down both short and longer term supply of the R20 FF rear; it's definitely what we needed to sustain and grow the class.

As for class commitment to 60 tires a year, I am not seeing it given the drop off in participation over the last 3 years. Given the upcoming 50th Solo Nationals, I figured more cars would be competing, but year to date this hasn't been the case (at Tour/Pro level). Perhaps there will be an uptick as we close in on Sep, but I'm not convinced.

As much as I love the class, it's a hard sell for folks looking to join compared to other alternatives (especially FM). That is, the entry price of a fully sorted, competitive car is nearly double FM (and triple KM). A Honda powered FF is about ~80% of a BM entry...

In summary, I see CM participation rebounding a bit in 2023 but not returning to the level we saw prior to 2019 which means I believe we will continue to struggle to lock down soft tires from Hoosier...

Finally, I HOPE I AM PROVED WRONG!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

This is obviously terrific news! The question is do YOU think we FF owners in C Mod can meet this requirement? My feeling is we can do that without problem. But do you?

It would be great, and it would only take 10-15 people/cars to buy 2-3 sets a year. At $250 a tire we weren’t at that level, at $370 a tire I see the class continuing to decline, not grow.
    This is why I went down the Spec tire thought path. Other countries use the Toyo R888r as a spec tire some road racers are going all season on a set. Sure, grip will go down, but consistency will be up, and we’ll all have the same grip. I can see a $10k FF with $800 a year tire bill enticing the youngsters into CM.
    Thinks about the .850ish Pax!

Quote Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
    It would be great, and it would only take 10-15 people/cars to buy 2-3 sets a year. At $250 a tire we weren’t at that level, at $370 a tire I see the class continuing to decline, not grow.
    This is why I went down the Spec tire thought path. Other countries use the Toyo R888r as a spec tire some road racers are going all season on a set. Sure, grip will go down, but consistency will be up, and we’ll all have the same grip. I can see a $10k FF with $800 a year tire bill enticing the youngsters into CM.

Understood!

But for me, driving a real race car but with greatly reduced grip isn't enticing.
    Jim

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Having road raced on both the RA1 and 888, they generate very little grip even when fully warmed up. I cannot imagine autocrossing on those in my CM car.... If we do go down the spec tire road, I think we need to explore something softer than that. And still thinking we should stay with bias ply.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 183

Autocrossing on a low grip tire will do nothing more than damage your equipment faster. Our cars were designed for precision driving, not drifting. Been there done that, all I accomplished was catching a piece of gravel between the rim and spindle as I kept spinning.

It's going to be hard to get people to commit to 2-3 sets of tires per year if Hoosier is not that committed to manufacturing the tires we need.

If we go the spec tire route, we should stay with bias ply tires which means allowing the FC spec rims and tires. As for the 5.5" vs 6" rim argument? don't care... easily solve by allowing both rim sizes.

So, I would favor CM adopting the FC bias ply tires (or what ever they end up using) for as long as they are available. We run a spec race car, adopting a spec Formula continental sized tire would be within the spirit of C Modified and we still get sticky tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbalanced Engineering View Post
    Having road raced on both the RA1 and 888, they generate very little grip even when fully warmed up. I cannot imagine autocrossing on those in my CM car.... If we do go down the spec tire road, I think we need to explore something softer than that. And still thinking we should stay with bias ply.
    It really sucks, trust me..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3981.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	107368  

Having road raced on both the RA1 and 888, they generate very little grip even when fully warmed up.
    I see that as a good thing. Consistency, without much temperature dependency helps level the playing field and is good for use across the country spring - fall. Less spraying, less blankets, less work at events.

We would all love to continue with the R25/20 but that doesn’t look like a viable option. Anyone have a contact at Goodyear? They made the best FF tire I’ve run (it just needed to be 80+ degrees ambient to get*it to work) If they made us a tire we would definitely give them wins for the record book.
    What other soft tire options are out there? Would a softer R888 be of interest to current CM competitors? I know new blood has not chosen CM due to tire costs.

Hoosier tech staff and several people above (and elsewhere) have described issues about running street radials. While it would be equal pain, it would be pain. Driving a Formula F is fun and making it not fun is not acceptable.

I know new blood has not chosen CM due to tire costs.
    I'm interested in hearing more on this. Not trying to start an argument but are any names connected to that statement?
    Last edited by Jim Garry; 05.26.23 at 11:23 AM.
    Jim

I see that as a good thing. Consistency, without much temperature dependency helps level the playing field and is good for use across the country spring - fall. Less spraying, less blankets, less work at events.

We would all love to continue with the R25/20 but that doesn’t look like a viable option. Anyone have a contact at Goodyear? They made the best FF tire I’ve run (it just needed to be 80+ degrees ambient to get*it to work) If they made us a tire we would definitely give them wins for the record book.
    What other soft tire options are out there? Would a softer R888 be of interest to current CM competitors? I know new blood has not chosen CM due to tire costs.
    Hey Eric,

I'm sorry but you see that as a good thing, Why? As Jim has said "when the cars are not fun to drive" and Driving a radial tire on the older chassis would not make Bob a very unhappy guy.

It doesn't matter what tire we use you are going to have the "Have's and Have not's" With Jim Garry as an example living in the North East and Maybe his season is just getting started, I've had 6 events already.

With 2 drivers you maybe spraying your tires at events in the summer but now with just me driving I don't, as for blankets I used them at the testing this year to see if would help, and in 7 years at this National's 1 time on Day 1.

As for less work, I don't know about you but the whole getting ready for every event to drive my car is where the fun really starts, with checking, rechecking and double checking, thinking and rethinking and over thinking, but when you get it right it's the most fun for me. God forbid about the National thought process I'm already there.

Eric, I think right now we have a spec tire the R60 that we don't even have to think about, Hooiser is already making it at this time. So to go down a path of either radial tire, different manufacture at this time seems like a lot of over thinking when we are working on maybe a rule change that would mean buying an extra 2 rims or 4.

As for a tire budget I buy 2 sets of tires a year not bad for the amount of driving I do so I not sure why that comes into the picture. If you drive a lot of Pro Solo's, then I can see why you go through a lot more tires.

Killing the CM class could be the future based on how we are not working together to work out "to me a small problem" for what CM needs. Weather it's a spec tire with the R60 or the 6 and 8" FC rims so we can run on R20 with many other option in tire compound, with a complete set of Rain tires front and rear and this will be able to keep our car relevant into the future.

Ben
    Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 05.27.23 at 12:11 AM.

Liked: 310

Does anyone know what the Goodyear tire compounds are? I've searched for the info but can't find it. Goodyear produces slicks that use 6 and 8 inch wheels. The compound is R255.

Edit: These tires are bias ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Does anyone know what the Goodyear tire compounds are? I've searched for the info but can't find it. Goodyear produces slicks that use 6 and 8 inch wheels. The compound is R255.

Hey Lynn,

I'm sure you'll get better info from somebody but I talked to a goodyear rep about tires compound and of course he said it's better then the R45 Hooiser compound but it was only in the FC tire, see how fun this could be like Eric said "maybe Goodyear make a tire" but he meant for the 5.5 cantilever tire I'm sure, anyways using the FC 6 and 8" rims opens so many doors.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

R110

They do make it in a few sizes -- those for EM for example. And whenever I talk to the engineers I know at Akron, one of the biggest issues is their limited production capacity for race rubber. Most of that it eaten up by the big series (Nascar, NHRA, etc). So I think getting them to make the R110 even in FC sizes will be potentially a bigger battle than getting Hoosier to make an R20 rear cantilever run every 18 months.

Thanks,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    If we go the spec tire route, we should stay with bias ply tires which means allowing the FC spec rims and tires. As for the 5.5" vs 6" rim argument? don't care... easily solve by allowing both rim sizes.
    I disagree with just this part. IF we allow the 6", I believe you will need the 6". Sure you can run the 5.5 like we are now, but the 6" will be a noticeable advantage.

Thanks,
    Jason

Liked: 65

Can anyone who is requesting the FC 6" and 8" rims explain why they are asking for more than just allowing the rear 8" rim and tire?

FF in CM is specifically stated in rules to follow the road race specs to keep the value and history of the cars. I can possibly see allowing the rear 8"rim and tire as a way to keep the grip level high and fun with tires that would be available.

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    Can anyone who is requesting the FC 6" and 8" rims explain why they are asking for more than just allowing the rear 8" rim and tire?
    Hey Ted,

For me I've been looking for just rear 8" rims and in 5 months I have found 2 sets of rear wheels, were as I have found 6 sets of complete set of FC wheels.

The price for the 2 sets of rear wheels were 600$ and 900$ respectively. Where the full set of FC wheels range in at 800$ to 1300$ all in fair shape. I haven't asked Brad for new set of FC wheels.

Ben

I disagree with just this part. IF we allow the 6", I believe you will need the 6". Sure you can run the 5.5 like we are now, but the 6" will be a noticeable advantage.

Thanks,
    Jason
    I don't think there would be a noticeable difference. At least not enough of a difference to matter over 60 seconds run. On a track in a 20 minute session? that's a different story

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    Hey Ted,

For me I've been looking for just rear 8" rims and in 5 months I have found 2 sets of rear wheels, were as I have found 6 sets of complete set of FC wheels.

The price for the 2 sets of rear wheels were 600$ and 900$ respectively. Where the full set of FC wheels range in at 800$ to 1300$ all in fair shape. I haven't asked Brad for new set of FC wheels.

Ben

Hey Ben, great data. Perhaps we have to do an all or nothing just based on that. Thanks.

Jason

Liked: 68

I don't think there would be a noticeable difference. At least not enough of a difference to matter over 60 seconds run. On a track in a 20 minute session? that's a different story
    So...if "no noticable difference", why are we rushing towards buying new wheels? There are many tire options that fit the 5.5 and will allow for a level playing field without buying 1-2-3 sets of new wheels that then can only be used for autocross.
    Craig Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Craig71188 View Post
    So...if "no noticable difference", why are we rushing towards buying new wheels? There are many tire options that fit the 5.5 and will allow for a level playing field without buying 1-2-3 sets of new wheels that then can only be used for autocross.

Hello Craig,

I believe the "No noticeable difference" has to do with the tire we are using right now (FC front tire on a 5.5 rim) and putting it on a FC 6" rim really doesn't make that much of a difference. I've tried it and it didn't seem to make a difference but like I've said before this is only in test mode at this time, may help with tire wear which would help in cost.

As for the rim thing the only type of tire after this year (maybe) could be the road race Hoosier compound and I feel like that would be the end of CM because no one wants to drive on these. So the FC rims would allow us to use Rain tires (which right now we don't have a rear) the use of R20, R45, R60 Hoosier compounds and who knows maybe others.

Just opens the door to keep the class valuable for the forceable future, so the driving experience will be Fun.

Ben

27. The following 3 users liked this post:

Hoosier tech staff and several people above (and elsewhere) have described issues about running street radials. While it would be equal pain, it would be pain. Driving a Formula F is fun and making it not fun is not acceptable.

I'm interested in hearing more on this. Not trying to start an argument but are any names connected to that statement?
    Did you ever run a Street TD and a A3S03 on the same car? The bias TD had poor feel and delayed response, A3S03 was the A7 predecessor, great tire to drive on. Tamra nixed the idea of going to CM after driving one and experiencing the cantilever/bias delayed response.

The people not liking the tire expense are typically street drivers that can’t fathom buying a set of tires for two national weekends.

R20 bias ply still better than trying to run with street tires.
    Jim

30. The following 3 users liked this post:

R20 bias ply still better than trying to run with street tires.
    Ben can confirm, but the R60 with a co-driver is just as good as the R20 on an average summer day

Ben can confirm, but the R60 with a co-driver is just as good as the R20 on an average summer day
    Hopefully Ben will comment on that. But in my conversations with him I recall him saying that is not the case. And an average summer day in my part of the country is highly variable. The R60 won't be a useful replacement for the R20.
    Jim

Hey Chris,

The R60 tires, Even with a co-driver the first driver out on cold tires will be very slow, cones, missing your braking point, possibly spin out by over driving them. 2nd driver on his first run will be slow, with still a lot of sliding, missing your braking point. Depending on how many run you get you will as fast in the last runs on 5 runs on the R60's as you are on the R20's in 3 runs. If you're at the National's with the high humidity and 90+ ambient temps The R60 tires may not be that bad on that week of the National's but this is the only time they will feel like that, you'll only get that kind of weather scenario at Lincoln Ne and at that time of the year, then anywhere else in the Nation.

The R20 tires are great in all conditions, but in very hot conditions they tend to grain and then you lose traction, no Co-driver needed and very fun to drive because the amazing amount of grip. This is what make these cars so much fun to drive, high slip angle is so much fun.

This is where the FC rims come into play, no matter what Hoosier does we will have fun tires to drive on for everyone in the Nation

Ben

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 10

Official letter info! See latest FasTrack -
    "
    #34411 Tire shortages in CModWith the uncertainty of current tire availability, the MAC and SEB are looking for feedback on the possibility of
    moving CM from its current Hoosier tire to a specified radial tire, beginning for the 2025 season using either
    the Toyo R888 (used in the Canadian F1600 series) or the Yokohama A048 (used in Australia and New
    Zealand Formula Ford series). Moving to this tire would keep existing wheels and open up availability of tires
    to the class, while decreasing running costs.
    "

lots of this was done before more data has rolled in but this is the letter you should reference from now on with your thoughts. Let's recap:

Hoosier has made one more run of the rear tires. There is no guarantee that another run will be made.

We have 2 working options available:
    1) keep the same wheels and decide on a spec radial tire
    2) allow different wheel sizes and any tire can be run

pros/cons (from my point of view)
    1) pros - spec tires. car prep and driver talent determine winners. cheaper operating costs. no new required equipment.
    1) cons - less total grip, everyone has to move to a new tire so burn up takeoffs between now and 2025. (no older tires for first season of spec tire requirement)

2) pros - real race tire grip! can balance wheel/tire to particular driving style. unlimited tire choice.
    2) cons - those who can find/afford wheels will have an advantage. Specific tires for temp/conditions will have advantage so multiple compounds in the trailer for truly pointy end competition.

So please please please write in with your thoughts. Let us know if you like the spec tire option or the open wheel sizes option.

Brad.

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Spec R60?

Thanks Brad; appreciate the efforts to keep the CM/FF tire discussion moving forward! Glad to hear that this is slated for 2025; that is, plenty of time to work through comments, questions, and concerns...

One comment; include the (bias) Hoosier Club Ford R60 as a possible spec tire option. Pro; same size - no wheel, ride height, nor alignment changes. Con; needs heat to reach full potential (i.e. blankets / co-driver needed for optimal performance).

After initially being in the "FC 6"/8" wheel" camp, I've reconsidered and believe the (bias) Hoosier Club Ford R60 to be the "least painful" path forward...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

I sent an email to Adam Batton, the Circuit Racing Business Unit Manager at Hoosier. Here's his statement, un-edited, on the use of radial street tires for our cars:

Adam Batton: "I personally think a radial street tire will be too stiff, heavy, and not compliant enough to warm up the tread compound to an acceptable level in a solo/autocross application for a CM. The weight and geometry of these cars favor a bias ply construction."

Using street tires for autocross will render the vehicles terrible to drive and not fun. It doesn't matter if it's equal for everyone. It will be equally painful to drive. We do this for fun, to experience oneness with the car. That won't happen using street tires in autocross, an environment in which a half ton car is incapable of heating the tire.

Same with the R60 unless it's a hot summer day.
    Jim

39. The following members LIKED this post:

As Ben wrote earlier

Hey Chris,

The R60 tires, Even with a co-driver the first driver out on cold tires will be very slow, cones, missing your braking point, possibly spin out by over driving them. 2nd driver on his first run will be slow, with still a lot of sliding, missing your braking point. Depending on how many run you get you will as fast in the last runs on 5 runs on the R60's as you are on the R20's in 3 runs. If you're at the National's with the high humidity and 90+ ambient temps The R60 tires may not be that bad on that week of the National's but this is the only time they will feel like that, you'll only get that kind of weather scenario at Lincoln Ne and at that time of the year, then anywhere else in the Nation.

The R20 tires are great in all conditions, but in very hot conditions they tend to grain and then you lose traction, no Co-driver needed and very fun to drive because the amazing amount of grip. This is what make these cars so much fun to drive, high slip angle is so much fun.

This is where the FC rims come into play, no matter what Hoosier does we will have fun tires to drive on for everyone in the Nation

Ben
    Jim

Liked: 98

I sent an email to Adam Batton, the Circuit Racing Business Unit Manager at Hoosier. Here's his statement, un-edited, on the use of radial street tires for our cars:

Adam Batton: "I personally think a radial street tire will be too stiff, heavy, and not compliant enough to warm up the tread compound to an acceptable level in a solo/autocross application for a CM. The weight and geometry of these cars favor a bias ply construction."

Using street tires for autocross will render the vehicles terrible to drive and not fun. It doesn't matter if it's equal for everyone. It will be equally painful to drive. We do this for fun, to experience oneness with the car. That won't happen using street tires in autocross, an environment in which a half ton car is incapable of heating the tire.

Same with the R60 unless it's a hot summer day.
    So, I really think there is a lot of speculation based on feelings, that just may not play out the way some folks feel it will..

I autocrossed a C-Modified 1983 Van Diemen on Toyo R888s a month ago on what might have started as the poorest initially setup FF I've ever driven. (When I climbed in it, it had 0 Camber f/r, 1/2" toe out front and 1/4 toe out rear.) The owners/drivers of the car had put 12 runs on the tires at an event the month before (they still looked brand new).

During the 2-day event (autocross "school" + two 6-run events) we ran, we put 66 runs between four drivers. We ended up at -1.5f and -1r with 1/8th toe out front and 1/16th toe-in rear while I incrementally dropped the ride height. It does still need work as the ride heights need more adjustment along with alignment. With a "school" that morning and an event the month before, these were runs 17-82 on this set of tires.

At the end of the weekend, the 3 relatively inexperienced formula car drivers they were MUCH happier (and faster compared to other consistent drivers) than they had been on Hoosiers with less than 50 runs total, and much happier with grip and breakaway characteristics of the 888R overall.

The two primary drivers commented, "up until now we were not sure if we wanted to keep running it, now this car feels like people told us it would." They didn't miss the slicks, and have benefited a great deal from the consistent performance delivered over 80+ runs - with plenty left.

I drove the car for a total of 12 runs, including the cold-tire/first runs on day 2, and here is my report on that experience: As a bit of data comparison, most recently I drove the Clement's 1994 Van Diemen at the SCCA National Tour in Charlotte on the R20/R25.

- Building heat: While the car wasn't perfect, the delta of performance between cold and warm tire runs was so much smaller than on slicks. On the R20/R25 there is a massive difference between the cold and warm runs, especially in cooler ambient temps. On the 888R, the balance of the car between ambient and warm tires was roughly the same, with far less adjustment needed to driving style, braking points, etc.

There will be far less of a necessity to have a "tire warmer" and when there are two drivers in the car, both will have a better opportunity to be competitive on the 888R.

- Grip Levels: Sure. It's not as much as the R20/R25. Data bears that out. But while max G on the 888s and max G on the slicks is different, Once I got the 83 dialed in closer, the "max grip" wasn't what I really noticed, it was the balance difference between the two.

We can discuss what grip we WANT to have for eons I'm sure, but honestly, when people talk about grip, IMO they are talking about balance. Mark Donohue's famous quote was "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower" can easily be adjusted to say, "if you have to slow for a corner, you don't have enough grip." So - until they build a tire we can't overdrive (they won't) then none of these tires have "enough" grip: we're all chasing balance. I trust that no one here is running an autocross course without lifting or braking.

If ultimate grip on any given surface in an autocross environment is really a necessity; BM and AM are classes with slicks AND wings and those are great options if that's what you're chasing.

- Tire Feel/Responsiveness: Breakaway, controlability and feedback are not that different. Holding the car at a constant angle in a slide was probably EASIER on the 888 than the slick. I was still easily able to differentiate what parts of the corner the car was breaking away in on the 888R, and feel the adjustments I was making to tire pressure, toe and ride-height between runs.

- Heat Retention/Overheating: There is some worry about not building up heat with a street tire/the 888R, but I saw no evidence of this, and the handling characteristics stayed very consistent throughout the runs, and temperature stayed pretty steady - as a test I sprayed the tires to cool them off to make sure we were not overheating them, and we were not. Thermal imaging stayed consistent and characteristics stayed the same.

Running these as an autocross tire in larger sedans, overheating is a problem. One thing that people often forget when it comes to evaluating a tire for autocross is the lack of straights that cools a tire down in a road race environment, and the buildup of surface vs core temp when it comes to tires. While I certainly want (and plan) to do more testing, I actually feel like these tires were VERY well suited to the autocross environment considering the cold/warm tire delta, and how they built and retained heat leading to a consistent tire behavior to set the car up with.

- Power down/Braking: Andy Howe and I theorized that a lack of forward bite from the 888R would create more power-on oversteer in the FF - effectively making it feel more like the rain or like the car had more horsepower. This DID NOT bear out in my testing.

In fact, I fought more power-on oversteer from Eric's 94 on the R20/R25 than I did in the 83 on the 888Rs. Maybe it's the weight of the 888Rs, or the fact that the 83 was a carbureted Ford and I roll the throttle slower to avoid "dumping" the float bowl, but I didn't notice much if any difference in longitudinal inputs with the throttle or brakes. As with other items more testing is needed - especially with the variations in surface and throttle application between the two engines.

- Subjectively: The 888s were just as fun as the R20/R25. I felt like I could do every bit as much pedal-dance balance with each set of tires. I didn't miss the grip, or more accurately think "oh man this grip is fun" when I got to Eric's car. My brain was still just working to find the right set of inputs to get each car and tires to do what I wanted. My bank account is certain;y happier when I think about tires with 80+ runs still offering "like new" performance compared to the slicks.[/LIST]

What's Next?

- More testing: I know we need a "same surface same car" type test as we get closer to maybe making a choice. I would have brought a set of 888Rs to the Tour if I could have gotten them when I realized I could attend, but Tire Rack is out of them.

- more tires: I want to try one of the vintage tires and see what they feel like. I want to get a set of the A048s (which I found them for <$600/set in Europe, but shipping is $250+ per set.)

- Inviting others: Eric and I want to mount these up on some wheels and have them sitting at the practice course at Solo Nationals. So if folks want to come try them, they can. Sure cars won't be optimized for them, but right now it's all speculation, and working together as a class to gather and compare data will go a lot further than, "I thinks" and, "Someone saids."
    Jon K - 1986 Swift DB3/Honda

42. The following members LIKED this post:

Adam Batton, the Circuit Racing Business Unit Manager at Hoosier. Here's his statement on the use of radial street tires for our cars:

"...The weight and geometry of these cars favor a bias ply construction."
    Can you ask Adam why the Hoosier spec offering for Pro F1600 and SCCA Roadrace F1600 is a radial then?

I mean, I don't disagree with him, and personally I think we should all be on a vintage skinny bias ply, but that seems like some mixed messaging coming from the company building the spec SCCA/Pro tire in the US.

(and this is the point where I should probably put that these are my opinions/thoughts/experiences as an SCCA member, and not an employee...)

Quote Originally Posted by racerjon1 View Post
    So, I really think there is a lot of speculation based on feelings, that just may not play out the way some folks feel it will..

I autocrossed a C-Modified 1983 Van Diemen on Toyo R888s a month ago on what might have started as the poorest initially setup FF I've ever driven. (When I climbed in it, it had 0 Camber f/r, 1/2" toe out front and 1/4 toe out rear.) The owners/drivers of the car had put 12 runs on the tires at an event the month before (they still looked brand new).

During the 2-day event (autocross "school" + two 6-run events) we ran, we put 66 runs between four drivers. We ended up at -1.5f and -1r with 1/8th toe out front and 1/16th toe-in rear while I incrementally dropped the ride height. It does still need work as the ride heights need more adjustment along with alignment. With a "school" that morning and an event the month before, these were runs 17-82 on this set of tires.

At the end of the weekend, the 3 relatively inexperienced formula car drivers they were MUCH happier (and faster compared to other consistent drivers) than they had been on Hoosiers with less than 50 runs total, and much happier with grip and breakaway characteristics of the 888R overall.

The two primary drivers commented, "up until now we were not sure if we wanted to keep running it, now this car feels like people told us it would." They didn't miss the slicks, and have benefited a great deal from the consistent performance delivered over 80+ runs - with plenty left.

I drove the car for a total of 12 runs, including the cold-tire/first runs on day 2, and here is my report on that experience: As a bit of data comparison, most recently I drove the Clement's 1994 Van Diemen at the SCCA National Tour in Charlotte on the R20/R25.

- Building heat: While the car wasn't perfect, the delta of performance between cold and warm tire runs was so much smaller than on slicks. On the R20/R25 there is a massive difference between the cold and warm runs, especially in cooler ambient temps. On the 888R, the balance of the car between ambient and warm tires was roughly the same, with far less adjustment needed to driving style, braking points, etc.

There will be far less of a necessity to have a "tire warmer" and when there are two drivers in the car, both will have a better opportunity to be competitive on the 888R.

- Grip Levels: Sure. It's not as much as the R20/R25. Data bears that out. But while max G on the 888s and max G on the slicks is different, Once I got the 83 dialed in closer, the "max grip" wasn't what I really noticed, it was the balance difference between the two.

We can discuss what grip we WANT to have for eons I'm sure, but honestly, when people talk about grip, IMO they are talking about balance. Mark Donohue's famous quote was "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower" can easily be adjusted to say, "if you have to slow for a corner, you don't have enough grip." So - until they build a tire we can't overdrive (they won't) then none of these tires have "enough" grip: we're all chasing balance. I trust that no one here is running an autocross course without lifting or braking.

If ultimate grip on any given surface in an autocross environment is really a necessity; BM and AM are classes with slicks AND wings and those are great options if that's what you're chasing.

- Tire Feel/Responsiveness: Breakaway, controlability and feedback are not that different. Holding the car at a constant angle in a slide was probably EASIER on the 888 than the slick. I was still easily able to differentiate what parts of the corner the car was breaking away in on the 888R, and feel the adjustments I was making to tire pressure, toe and ride-height between runs.

- Heat Retention/Overheating: There is some worry about not building up heat with a street tire/the 888R, but I saw no evidence of this, and the handling characteristics stayed very consistent throughout the runs, and temperature stayed pretty steady - as a test I sprayed the tires to cool them off to make sure we were not overheating them, and we were not. Thermal imaging stayed consistent and characteristics stayed the same.

Running these as an autocross tire in larger sedans, overheating is a problem. One thing that people often forget when it comes to evaluating a tire for autocross is the lack of straights that cools a tire down in a road race environment, and the buildup of surface vs core temp when it comes to tires. While I certainly want (and plan) to do more testing, I actually feel like these tires were VERY well suited to the autocross environment considering the cold/warm tire delta, and how they built and retained heat leading to a consistent tire behavior to set the car up with.

- Power down/Braking: Andy Howe and I theorized that a lack of forward bite from the 888R would create more power-on oversteer in the FF - effectively making it feel more like the rain or like the car had more horsepower. This DID NOT bear out in my testing.

In fact, I fought more power-on oversteer from Eric's 94 on the R20/R25 than I did in the 83 on the 888Rs. Maybe it's the weight of the 888Rs, or the fact that the 83 was a carbureted Ford and I roll the throttle slower to avoid "dumping" the float bowl, but I didn't notice much if any difference in longitudinal inputs with the throttle or brakes. As with other items more testing is needed - especially with the variations in surface and throttle application between the two engines.

- Subjectively: The 888s were just as fun as the R20/R25. I felt like I could do every bit as much pedal-dance balance with each set of tires. I didn't miss the grip, or more accurately think "oh man this grip is fun" when I got to Eric's car. My brain was still just working to find the right set of inputs to get each car and tires to do what I wanted. My bank account is certain;y happier when I think about tires with 80+ runs still offering "like new" performance compared to the slicks.[/LIST]

What's Next?

- More testing: I know we need a "same surface same car" type test as we get closer to maybe making a choice. I would have brought a set of 888Rs to the Tour if I could have gotten them when I realized I could attend, but Tire Rack is out of them.

- more tires: I want to try one of the vintage tires and see what they feel like. I want to get a set of the A048s (which I found them for <$600/set in Europe, but shipping is $250+ per set.)

- Inviting others: Eric and I want to mount these up on some wheels and have them sitting at the practice course at Solo Nationals. So if folks want to come try them, they can. Sure cars won't be optimized for them, but right now it's all speculation, and working together as a class to gather and compare data will go a lot further than, "I thinks" and, "Someone saids."
    Jon,

Are you going to the 2023 National's I would like to talk about your data points. I Love this ****.

Ben

Jon,

Are you going to the 2023 National's I would like to talk about your data points. I Love this ****.

Ben
    Sure will be Ben, and would love to talk about all of it. (I too love testing!)

- Jon

Regarding the first sentence, if the R20 can deal with co-drivers, then the 888R can.

The second sentence ... I and others are clearly NOT chasing "ultimate grip". If I was I wouldn't have left BM. AM/BM are incredibly expensive classes. Telling people who want the R20 tire in CM that they should go to AM isn't reasonable. As I've said before, I don't want the car to slide around excessively ... just fighting the car all time time. Not fun. And parts of what you wrote indicate that the car was sliding around. Power on oversteer especially.

Thanks for offering to have tires mounted up at Nats T&T but wheel fitment is a big issue. I have center lock wheels for example. And not adjusting a car for radials before trying them will result in people hating them.

I maintain that opening up wheels in the rules is the proper direction.
    Jim

Can you ask Adam why the Hoosier spec offering for Pro F1600 and SCCA Roadrace F1600 is a radial then?
    Hoosier's FF spec radial isn't a street car radial. Yes it's heavy and stiff compared to the bias ply. And ask Gary Godula if he likes it. But it's not at all like a Toyo.

Also, this is to everyone .... if anyone has anything to ask regarding Hoosier tires or policies, by all means please call them directly. They will talk to you. I had never spoken to Adam before but when we spoke he was open and helpful (we just disagreed but very cordially). There's no need to go through me for any of your questions.

Thanks,
    Jim

Default R20 Rear Status?

All,

Please post FUTURE tire discussion on the thread Jon stated titled "SEB/MAC Asking for C Modified Feedback"

Bringing this thread back to it's original intent, does anyone have any news regarding FF R20 rear production/delivery? The only news can offer is what was shared by Sonya when the order was placed on Tue Apr 25; "I will charge shipping when they are ready and send you an invoice with tracking number, should be around the end of June/first of July."

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Haven't heard anything Pru.
    Jim

Regarding the first sentence, if the R20 can deal with co-drivers, then the 888R can.

I maintain that opening up wheels in the rules is the proper direction.

I second that, but also we need to open up the tires I think. With an open selection on rims and tires, we can figure out as competitors which tires and rims work best for our individual cars. And remember in autocross we already do this by allowing plus sizing on rims and tires in the stock classes.

I am encouraged by Jim's comments on the testing of the 888R tire. That said I am still on the fence about which direction we should go. If we go with these new spec radials, that will be the most expensive solution for the competitors with older cars. I would have to rebuild the lower control arms on my old 91 euroswift at a minimum to get the required camber adjustments. With my new car, an RF98 I am ok with radials. The last thing we all want would be to adversely affect the older cars.

I am somewhat against the idea of a spec tire. We had a spec tire for the class (hoosiers) and look where that got us.... If we want this class to continue we need more flexibility to choose the tires available as we move forward or we risk these types of tire shortages to continue.

I would propose that we setup the next couple seasons as a "Open test" to find a longer term solution to this tire problem. So what I would propose is something like this

1. season one - open wheels, open tires gather as much test data from as many drivers as possible.
    2. season two - we should know which tire rim combos are working by this point, size the available wheel/tire options accordingly.
    3. season three - consensus for a spec tire (with a long term availability)?

I think this is a reasonable solution because we let the competitors figure out what tire/rim combo will work, it gives the SCCA some breathing room to design a better rule to accommodate the changes in the tire marketplace. And third, it gives us the chance to make a decision based on hard evidence, not hypothetical solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Bringing this thread back to it's original intent, does anyone have any news regarding FF R20 rear production/delivery? The only news can offer is what was shared by Sonya when the order was placed on Tue Apr 25; "I will charge shipping when they are ready and send you an invoice with tracking number, should be around the end of June/first of July."
    Response from Sonya on my inquiry as to where the FF R20 rear order stands:

Hi Chris –

The CM rear tire is on the schedule to be built the week of June 26th (next week).

Should be able to ship them the following week, if they don’t get pushed back…which has been known to happen.

Have a wonderful day and thank you!!

Sonya

R & S Racing, Inc.
    That is, no change to original production / delivery dates...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information