Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I just sent a letter to the CRB recommending the Afterburner FIA light or similar as a less expensive alternative.
    As I'm reading through these posts.. I am RECALLING that 'not too long ago' (when did the Afterburner come out? - 6 years or so ago?)... there was an attempt in Impound to DQ someone who had one.. and the rules did NOT SAY it could 'flash'.. I remember writing a letter at that time to the CRB supporting FLASHING rain lights and poopooing anyone that wanted to eliminate them.
    BTW.. I also recall that I had to pay like $175 for mine .. used.. 4 years ago. SO now, SCCA is going to tell me I have to toss that one and BUY a different one that cost over $200 ?? .. and works NO BETTER than the one I already have?? Where do I get off this train?
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    As I'm reading through these posts.. I am RECALLING that 'not too long ago' (when did the Afterburner come out? - 6 years or so ago?)... there was an attempt in Impound to DQ someone who had one.. and the rules did NOT SAY it could 'flash'.. I remember writing a letter at that time to the CRB supporting FLASHING rain lights and poopooing anyone that wanted to eliminate them.
    BTW.. I also recall that I had to pay like $175 for mine .. used.. 4 years ago. SO now, SCCA is going to tell me I have to toss that one and BUY a different one that cost over $200 ?? .. and works NO BETTER than the one I already have?? Where do I get off this train?
    Steve, FV80
    For what it's worth, Pegasus indicates the Afterburner is "Fully FIA approved." Whatever that means.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

It was approved in 2010, so maybe things have changed at the FIA and the afterburner needs to be re- homologated to a new standard.

Regarding viewing angle: FIA does a lot of research before setting its standards. They usually form committees of outside experts to develop standards. I am willing to assume that the viewing angle topic was researched and the proper compromise made regarding the issue.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    I am willing to assume that the viewing angle topic was researched and the proper compromise made regarding the issue.

For teams with $250 million budgets.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 27

Anyone looked closely at the ones on EBay? They are $17, are LED and can be set up to flash or be in constant. Are they junk?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Working on my letter to the SCCA. The items on the Pegasus page are interesting

Cartek FIA 8874-2019 Circular Rain/Brake Light $174.00 - draws 700 mA

The Ultimate Rain Light, 50 Red LED Steady Light $52.00 - draws 100 mA

Now FVs with a total loss battery system - that seems to be a pretty big difference.

Some people might end up with larger or 2nd battery, increasing the cost.

Yes 15w should be about 1.2 amp but most have switch to LEDs which draw less than 50 mA.

ChrisZ

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3289

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    For teams with $250 million budgets.
    Tongue-in-cheek, but still on point, IMO.
    Dave Weitzenhof

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Cartek FIA 8874-2019 Circular Rain/Brake Light $174.00 - draws 700 mA

The Ultimate Rain Light, 50 Red LED Steady Light $52.00 - draws 100 mA

Now FVs with a total loss battery system - that seems to be a pretty big difference.ChrisZ
    1) So your argument against the rule is that one class's issue should enough to reject the change. How about an exception to allow FV to run an inferior light?

2) The difference in current requirements pretty much sums up the need for the rule change. It is a fairly safe assumption to claim that the FIA unit produces 7X as many lumens. Again, FIA the light standard is well developed and researched.

Brian

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

I have to wonder ......

If the FIA is so smart, why do the F1 rain tires suck so bad that they cannot run if the rain gets any stronger than drizzle.

After 2 years being involved with F4, I run the opposite direction when I see the FIA connection. It is all about rules, more rules, and more rules that are oppressive and enforced with delight. Common sense has no place in the FIA process.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I have to wonder ......

If the FIA is so smart, why do the F1 rain tires suck so bad that they cannot run if the rain gets any stronger than drizzle.

After 2 years being involved with F4, I run the opposite direction when I see the FIA connection. It is all about rules, more rules, and more rules that are oppressive and enforced with delight. Common sense has no place in the FIA process.
    Reading the regulation where most of the regulation is about the testing and approval process (on a rain light), I get the impression it's more about the pay to play.
    The tester pay to be an approved tester.
    The manufacturers pay to have things tested and to become an approved supplier.

Common sense is not allowed.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 270

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Reading the regulation where most of the regulation is about the testing and approval process (on a rain light), I get the impression it's more about the pay to play.

Been studying the SFI business model, have they?
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 281

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Been studying the SFI business model, have they?
    Other way around

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Of course it is all about lining others pockets with racer's money. Make the requirement simply sso many lumens at so many feet and get an inexpensive light meter to measure it.

It seems that the current rules have served OK for a long time. Granted it takes some common sense to apply them in a sane manner ( IIRC min 15 watts minimum).

I buy the brightest I can come up with which happens to be an LED array from a motorcycle which incorporates both the running and brake lights. I have it wired so that both are on whenever it is turned on. It will make your eyes water if you look at it too long.

I have this cause I want the guy behind me who is no doubt coming like the hammers from heck to be able to know where I am.

21. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Make the requirement simply so many lumens at so many feet and get an inexpensive light meter to measure it.
    Better yet - just set a standard and let the manufacturer build to the spec - self certification. This is not a critical safety part like seat belts or fire systems, more like a piston made to spec, or a mirror. Just keep the paperwork to show tech. They don't need any extra tools. If the manufacturer will not publish specs - you cannot buy it. Saved the manufacturer (and the racer) money. If they want to go beyond the minimum - fine. Good, Better, Best.

ChrisZ

Liked: 323

I’m now waiting for the ‘expiration date’ to be added to the rule!!!

(if it were SFI, it would be there)
    glad I’m in vintage
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

24. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Southwest

And what about drives in the southwest who almost never see rain. Most don't even own rain tires. Are they going to spend over $200 on something that they will never use. Too bad the SCCA is no long a club run by its members.

Ed

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1484

I wonder if there's a procedure for a recall election....

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1113

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I wonder if there's a procedure for a recall election....
    Wait and see if the rule actually goes into effect..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Hold that thought

Liked: 319

Default Shhhhhh...

Please don't anyone give SCCA Enterprises the bright idea that they can sell a mandatory rain light for $200.00, then charge an annual subscription fee to make it work.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

32. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post
    Please don't anyone give SCCA Enterprises the bright idea that they can sell a mandatory rain light for $200.00, then charge an annual subscription fee to make it work.
    You mean like car manufacturers? Everything now requires a subscription service...

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post

The hilarious thing about this rule is it's not going to solve anything. The problem is that modern rain tires displace a LOT of water and if the cars have aero they throw up a huge "rooster tail" of spray as well. This means that over 65mph or so in wet conditions each car is throwing out a LOT of spray. This inevitably leads to one of two conditions except for the slowest corners:

#1) WALL OF GRAY. This is typical of starts and re-starts in wet conditions, as well as when the precipitation is so heavy that no matter how much Rain-X you use the precipitation is hitting your visor or windscreen faster than it can shed off. In either case NO rain light is visible regardless of how bright it is, how fast it flashes, or what series of overly complicated specifications it meets.

#2) NOT WALL OF GRAY. You'll get this if it's not quite so damp, the track is drying off, or in wet conditions when the pack is strung out or after they've slowed down enough they're not kicking up so much spray. In this case you can usually see the other cars normally because of the lack of spray, or you can assume that the cloud of mist in front of you is a moving car and not some freak weather event, or the car in front of you is stationary and not throwing up any spray.

In condition #2, the only time I've found rain lights useful is in spotting very distant cars when the field is strung out. This is somewhat useful from a competition standpoint, but has no effect on safety.

In 28 years of racing, 20 of them in formula cars, I have NEVER once had a situation where I was able to avoid a wreck because of a rain light. Overall the lighting rules in SCCA make no sense: why don't we require brake lights on formula / SR cars as well as production cars given how much shorter the braking distances are?

[sarcasm on] Plus, I can have a lot of fun with brake lights. When I ran production cars I had a trick of tapping the brake pedal just enough the get the lights to come on with my left foot. It often tricked people behind me into thinking I was braking early and they'd pull out of line, sometimes breaking the draft & giving me a little breathing room. Maybe the FIA has some novella-length specs on brake lights and we can mandate $400 in LED brake lights built to an FIA spec, plus another $200 of sensors and wiring ($1,000 if they need to meet an FIA spec), all so we can add lines to the rulebook for something that has ZERO effect on safety. [sarcasm off]

Overall, tail-lights are only critical when you're racing at night.

Whoever thought this new rule was a good idea is an absolute F-ing moron. What we really should be doing is just re-think what kind of conditions we allow races to be conducted in: because when the precipitation level is high enough you end up with conditions that are identical to heavy fog, which is already a hard "NO" for racing.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

It was approved in 2010, so maybe things have changed at the FIA and the afterburner needs to be re- homologated to a new standard.

Regarding viewing angle: FIA does a lot of research before setting its standards. They usually form committees of outside experts to develop standards. I am willing to assume that the viewing angle topic was researched and the proper compromise made regarding the issue.
    In theory yes. In practice, I haven't seen that the FIA-spec lights work any better any decent LED setup. The problem is that in heavy rain, especially at high speeds, everything disappears in the mist just the same.

It's true that some people are running around with relatively dim single-bulb lights, and maybe that needs to change to satisfy the insurance underwriters. They just need to mandate LED's with a minimum number of LED's (12, 16 or 18) and if makes them feel better they can mandate it flashes too (which isn't a difficult add-on to an existing LED setup).
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

37. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    In theory yes. In practice, I haven't seen that the FIA-spec lights work any better any decent LED setup. The problem is that in heavy rain, especially at high speeds, everything disappears in the mist just the same.
    Would you like to state in a measurable standard that represents a 'decent' LED setup? I would say that this rule saves SCCA the effort to establishing/developing what is required of a good rail light. Having a FIA label saves Tech the effort to prove that the rain light std is being met. There is more to a good light than just the lumen level.

Yes, everything disappears in the mist at some point, but that is pointless argument.

Brian

Liked: 830

Would you like to state in a measurable standard that represents a 'decent' LED setup? I would say that this rule saves SCCA the effort to establishing/developing what is required of a good rail light. Having a FIA label saves Tech the effort to prove that the rain light std is being met. There is more to a good light than just the lumen level.

Yes, everything disappears in the mist at some point, but that is pointless argument.

Brian
    MY opinion is that CLUB SCCA's desire to 'make everything easy to check' should NOT take precedence over 'reasonable COST to MEET THE NEEDS' of racing. The club should SET A GUIDELINE of some sort,, presumably MUCH BETTER than the current '15 watt incandescent bulb'.. and then 'police it within their ability to do so'... Forcing drivers to spend unreasonable amounts of $$$ to 'make it easy to tech' is NOT a proper plan for OUR club. Pretty much EVERY driver should WANT to be visible in the rain as much as possible .. in order to NOT get clobbered. Some good (not necessarily EXPENSIVE) guidelines should go FAR in that regard. Try to FORCE everyone to go BUY 'yet another expensive safety feature' .. when what they already HAVE is MORE THAN ADEQUATE (compared to the MOST EXPENSIVE POSSIBLE OPTION) .. will just lead to .. guess what???... REDUCED ENTRIES.. and even MEMBERSHIP!.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

40. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member lmpdesigner's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Typical SCCA lack of rational thought.

Easy answer:

Have the SCCA do a test or two on various lights. Using a pretty cheap lumen detector.

Come up with a list of acceptable lights.

Make sure the max cost is no more than X dollars as a criteria for approved lights. AND keep that number low. Say $50 max!!

Why does the SCCA always do things the hard way?? Is there no one there on the FSRAC or BOD with any common sense?

Just adopting FIA standards shows a lack of effort and laziness on the SCCA. Why not actually do some work and research before you all adopt a rule?

42. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 802

Do I dare ask if anyone setting these new rules has done any research into whether or not there are more collisions in the average rain race than in the average dry race, in order to justify "improving visibility at yet more cost to the entrants"?

Pure speculation: I'd imagine there might be LESS rain collisions, because drivers are mostly more wary and less inclined to take chances...
    would better visibility possibly increase risk?
    (said partially tongue in cheek)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

44. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

"Do I dare ask..."

It's a good question.

46. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 52

Default What about SRF3

The SRF3 is considered a Sports Racer, based on the the GCR. I wonder if that means Enterprises will be making the FIA strobe rain light a spec item, at the usual 100% markup?

I don't recall there being a "what do you think" in Fastrack about this... was there?

I think that something better than the $3 marker light I used to run on the wing support of my FM 20 years ago is a reasonable idea, but count me firmly in the NO category as far as FIA spec lights are concerned.

Default Do not all classes need to be just as safe???

On that same thought what about GT, touring, prod and IT classes. Should not they be as safe as the formula cars and sports racers.

I wonder if anyone has had a collision because they could not see the rain light in front of them

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

"Just adopting FIA standards shows a lack of effort and laziness on the SCCA"

Or it shows the legal liabilities overcoming the technical judgement.

50. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Steve Davis;652754].. and then 'police it within their ability to do so'...[QUOTE]

This is not going to improve the rain light issue. Needs to be very simple for Tech to get this right at all the regions.

I bought one of these FIA units after watching a number of 2022 Runoff rain races. It jumped right out 'to me' what was required in the way of a rain light. I had the choice of the somewhat lower priced units, but put my faith in the FIA standard.

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    "Just adopting FIA standards shows a lack of effort and laziness on the SCCA"
    SCCA does not have a staff to set tech standards. Everything is done by the CRB. The CRB could form a volunteer group to develop a standard, but what are the chances of that group having the data, budget and expertise to get the job done correctly?

Chances are very good that a good rain light might cost $100 as compared to the FIA unit at $200. I just do not see an effort being made to save $100 by the CRB. They have bigger fish to fry.

Brian

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    The letter proposing this change came into the GCR committee with visual evidence demonstrating how difficult the formula and prototype cars are to see in the spray with lights that we are currently using. This is nothing that anyone who has raced in the rain is not already aware of. There was a significant amount of debate on this topic at the CRB level, especially concerning the added cost which is a matter that is not taken lightly. In the end it was sent to the BOD as a recommended item because this has significant safety implications for everyone. A HANS device, helmet, safety belts, a certified fire system, etc... all protect the person who is employing them. If the other guy doesn't have or use those items it is likely not going to impact me directly; the rain light however does. One avoided crash or even contact in a formula or prototype car will pay for the light ten times over.

I don't like the fact that a seemingly simple light is so expensive but in the scheme of things it is a safety item that makes sense at least to me. Setting a rule that required a minimum lumens would permit us to be creative and save money, but it would be virtually impossible to police/enforce in the field.

This is a Recommended Item to the BOD so it is open for comment by members and up to them to vote up or down. If you have a strong opinion one way or the other you need to voice it through the letter system.
    John

John,

To use the vernacular of the CRB the rule in the GCR for Rain Lights "GCR 9.3.32.B Page GCR 90 in printed GCR" is adequate as written. Here is the link to the FIA Technical List N 19: https://www.yumpu.com/fr/document/re...-no-19-cik-fia

54. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    The letter proposing this change came into the GCR committee with visual evidence demonstrating how difficult the formula and prototype cars are to see in the spray with lights that we are currently using. This is nothing that anyone who has raced in the rain is not already aware of. There was a significant amount of debate on this topic at the CRB level, especially concerning the added cost which is a matter that is not taken lightly. In the end it was sent to the BOD as a recommended item because this has significant safety implications for everyone. A HANS device, helmet, safety belts, a certified fire system, etc... all protect the person who is employing them. If the other guy doesn't have or use those items it is likely not going to impact me directly; the rain light however does. One avoided crash or even contact in a formula or prototype car will pay for the light ten times over.

I don't like the fact that a seemingly simple light is so expensive but in the scheme of things it is a safety item that makes sense at least to me. Setting a rule that required a minimum lumens would permit us to be creative and save money, but it would be virtually impossible to police/enforce in the field.

This is a Recommended Item to the BOD so it is open for comment by members and up to them to vote up or down. If you have a strong opinion one way or the other you need to voice it through the letter system.

John
    John,

I would like an explanation for this! This is copied out got the May-Updated GCR online and is also in the June-Updated GCR online and there was no Technical Bulletin in Fastrack.

"9.3.32. LIGHTS

A. BRAKE LIGHTS
    All non-Formula cars shall have two operating red brake lights.
    B. RAIN LIGHTS
    All cars shall be equipped with rain light(s) clearly visible from the rear. The rain light(s) shall be turned on when directed to by the Race Director or Chief Steward.

1. Non-Formula and Sports Racing cars shall utilize the original equipment red tail lights or the rain light described in 9.3.32.B.2 or both.

(Effective 1/1/2024) A red taillight meeting FIA Standard 8874-2019, Technical List No. 76, is required on all Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars This light shall be mounted approxi- mately on the centerline of the car. Light assemblies are considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain.

3. Original equipment tail light assemblies may be used. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. Lights that function as strobe lights are not permitted except in Formula and Sports Racer classes. The taillight may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.

C. Exposed glass headlights shall be taped. Rear brake lights may be taped with transparent tape. Turn signals, front parking lights, backup lamps, and side marker lights may be taped or painted. Lights mounted on or below the bumper shall be removed, and all resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said holes. Lights mounted within the bumper may be removed or covered and any resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said holes."

Like Ron has said prior rule was
    adequate as written. Which was as follows:

"
    9.3.32. LIGHTS

A. BRAKE LIGHTS
    B. RAIN LIGHTS
    All cars shall be equipped with rain light(s) clearly visible from the rear. The rain light(s) shall be turned on when directed to by the Race Director or Chief Steward.

Non-Formula and Sports Racing cars shall utilize the original equipment red tail lights or the rain light described in 9.3.32.B.2 or both.

All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15-watt bulb. This light shall be mounted on the centerline of the car. Light assemblies shall be considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain. FIA Technical List N 19 rain lights are recommended.

Original equipment tail light assemblies may be used. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. Lights that function as strobe lights are not permitted except in Formula and Sports Racer classes. The taillight may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.

C. Exposed glass headlights shall be taped. Rear brake lights may be taped with transparent tape. Turn signals, front parking lights, backup lamps, and side marker lights may be taped or painted. Lights mounted on or below the bumper shall be removed, and all resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said holes. Lights mounted within the bumper may be removed or covered and any resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said holes."

Chris Doyle
    Surface Exploration Ltd - Rocky Mountain Division - CSR for Formula Enterprises/Enterprises SportsRacer - Shop 303.940.1500 - Fax 303.940.1509
    Elfwerx Engineering - Engineering & Design

56. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 903

Quote Originally Posted by Kelf1975 View Post
    John,

I would like an explanation for this! This is copied out got the May-Updated GCR online and is also in the June-Updated GCR online and there was no Technical Bulletin in Fastrack.

"9.3.32. LIGHTS

A. BRAKE LIGHTS
    B. RAIN LIGHTS

1. Non-Formula and Sports Racing cars shall utilize the original equipment red tail lights or the rain light described in 9.3.32.B.2 or both.

(Effective 1/1/2024) A red taillight meeting FIA Standard 8874-2019, Technical List No. 76, is required on all Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars This light shall be mounted approxi- mately on the centerline of the car. Light assemblies are considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain.

3. Original equipment tail light assemblies may be used. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. Lights that function as strobe lights are not permitted except in Formula and Sports Racer classes. The taillight may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.

Like Ron has said prior rule was
    adequate as written. Which was as follows:

"
    9.3.32. LIGHTS

A. BRAKE LIGHTS
    B. RAIN LIGHTS

Non-Formula and Sports Racing cars shall utilize the original equipment red tail lights or the rain light described in 9.3.32.B.2 or both.

All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15-watt bulb. This light shall be mounted on the centerline of the car. Light assemblies shall be considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain. FIA Technical List N 19 rain lights are recommended.

Original equipment tail light assemblies may be used. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. Lights that function as strobe lights are not permitted except in Formula and Sports Racer classes. The taillight may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.

Chris

Look at the January-May combined Fastrack, pp. 4-5. The language that you quote is in the section headed "Recommended Items".

As John wrote, the CRB has proposed the rule, effective January 1, 2024. The BOD has to approve/disapprove the rule, and solicits member input.

It would not be in any Technical Bulletin yet because it is not an active rule, just proposed.

Send your letter!
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

58. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 984

Kelf - As Nesbitt states, this is a proposed rule to become effective 1/1/24 so there would be no Tech Bulletin.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Chris

Look at the January-May combined Fastrack, pp. 4-5. The language that you quote is in the section headed "Recommended Items".

As John wrote, the CRB has proposed the rule, effective January 1, 2024. The BOD has to approve/disapprove the rule, and solicits member input.

It would not be in any Technical Bulletin yet because it is not an active rule, just proposed.

Send your letter!
    Related to this, I used to get notification when a new Fastrack was published. Now I find I have to set a reminder to go and look for it. Most of us are old enough to remember when Fastrack was included inSportsCar or even mailed to license holders. Right now you have to go through four clicks just to get to the page - when you remember. I asked to have it put on the main menu, but did not get far.

if you go to the bottom of the weekly Kerrie Speed email, it reduces it to 2 or 3 clicks, but I today’s world, you should be able to sign up for direct notifications.

ChrisZ

Liked: 2

John (Mr. Nesbitt),

Thank you for your response. I will go back and read those Fastrack(s). I don't re call seeing mention of the Rain Light before, but I'll look.

This brings several other questions to mind though on the process of rules. So lets Strat with when did the process change? When I was Technical Manager at SCCA Enterprises if we proposed rule for the following year and it was excepted it came out in Fastrack as a Technical Bulletin that stated that 01-01-(Year) (New Rule) and was not in the GCR until 01-01-(Year), maybe was 12-01-(Current Year). Why is this a Rule that is said to still be proposed even in the Current GCR?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Doyle
    Surface Exploration Ltd - Rocky Mountain Division - CSR for Formula Enterprises/Enterprises SportsRacer - Shop 303.940.1500 - Fax 303.940.1509
    Elfwerx Engineering - Engineering & Design

62. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 903

Quote Originally Posted by Kelf1975 View Post
    John (Mr. Nesbitt),

Thank you for your response. I will go back and read those Fastrack(s). I don't re call seeing mention of the Rain Light before, but I'll look.

This brings several other questions to mind though on the process of rules. So lets Strat with when did the process change? When I was Technical Manager at SCCA Enterprises if we proposed rule for the following year and it was excepted it came out in Fastrack as a Technical Bulletin that stated that 01-01-(Year) (New Rule) and was not in the GCR until 01-01-(Year), maybe was 12-01-(Current Year). Why is this a Rule that is said to still be proposed even in the Current GCR?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris,

You are quite right. The June GCR shows the new language, in red, and with an effective date of 1/1/2024. This is, indeed, new procedure.

Seems like the CRB is getting ahead of itself. Maybe a mistake? Perhaps John Larue could comment.

John
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

64. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information