Liked: 3

Default 4 Inch Minimum FV Ride Height Reg.

When was the 4'' minimum ride height on FV dropped. I only realized recently it was an original reg. I always wondered why early FV's had such high ride height. And why that reg. Thanks in advance.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Rick,

Just fond a 1965 copy of the GCR and no mention of 4"

I have never heard of this before.

I did find this interesting:

Replacement of stock exhaust system with a separate
    exhaust pipe of constant diameter for each cylinder, to be
    routed as directly as possible to terminate at a common
    vertical plane behind the body, and not to extend more than
    four (4) inches behind the body.

The entire rules in 1965 were 2 pages!

They were much stronger on the "don't do it unless we say so" the

ChrisZ

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 302

"I only realized recently it was an original reg."

What is the source of this "realization"? There was no such rule in the early 70's and I've never heard of it. It wasn't in effect in the very late 60's either. Before that I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Rick,

Just fond a 1965 copy of the GCR and no mention of 4"

ChrisZ
    Interesting. I found a data base of old news letters of an organization called Formula Vee International and that seemed to be topic discussion about whether to keep the limit that I thought it was a rule and since so many old FV's had such high RH, I thought it was a rule.

Maybe some more old hands will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    "I only realized recently it was an original reg."

What is the source of this "realization"? There was no such rule in the early 70's and I've never heard of it. It wasn't in effect in the very late 60's either. Before that I don't know.
    Well how I'm really confused why these newsletters were discussing the issue. The newsletters go back to 1964/65

Here's a link to the newsletters and what appears to be a beginning of a discussion of the 4'' RH dated Oct. 64
    https://www.formulavee.us/vee_lines/
    Last edited by rickd; 05.17.23 at 1:21 AM.

Liked: 830

Since it does not mention REMOVING that limitation, I'd assume that it was a PROPOSED rule .. that was never implemented.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Since it does not mention REMOVING that limitation, I'd assume that it was a PROPOSED rule .. that was never implemented.
    Steve, FV80
    Thanks Steve. I went through several years on the newsletters and it was a reoccurring discussion so I thought 4'' was a rule. the discussion went on for several years in the newsletters. It's possible it was a euro rule and they looking to bring the rules into alignment. Anyone have any other reasons for such discussion.
    Another interesting discussion in the newsletters was how quickly(2 or 3 years) the 1200 motor was ditched in Europe for something faster. The 1300, the 1500 I think.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by rickd View Post
    Another interesting discussion in the newsletters was how quickly(2 or 3 years) the 1200 motor was ditched in Europe for something faster. The 1300, the 1500 I think.
    That ones easy, They're more intelligent than Americans when it comes to racing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    That ones easy, They're more intelligent than Americans when it comes to racing.....
    From what I was reading in the newsletters, the Euro progression from 1200-to-1300-to-1500 seemed pretty quick... faster than the US moved to Super Vee.

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by rickd View Post
    Thanks Steve. I went through several years on the newsletters and it was a reoccurring discussion so I thought 4'' was a rule. the discussion went on for several years in the newsletters. It's possible it was a euro rule and they looking to bring the rules into alignment. Anyone have any other reasons for such discussion.
    I think you'll find that there was NO EURO stuff in the time frame of the Vee lines - .. which only lasted for about 3 years IIRC. It didn't catch on over there until AFTER it became pretty popular in the USA and IMHO the Vee Lines were a HUGE part of that success. They (Europe) also had zero 'history' when they started ... and their quick move to bigger engines didn't have nearly the BAGGAGE that we had in the USA. It's not a big deal to 'change over' 10 cars.. but in the USA we already had some FIVE HUNDRED cars. The early build up in the USA was truly AMAZING .. no .. ASTOUNDING! Likely there we also MANY MORE BEETLES in the USA than in Europe to 'pilfer' from . Interestingly to me, the Euro guys have ALWAYS run treaded tires .. I don't recall EVER seeing a Euro FV with slicks on it. (but for sure I haven't seen them ALL )
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

13. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I think you'll find that there was NO EURO stuff in the time frame of the Vee lines - .. which only lasted for about 3 years IIRC. It didn't catch on over there until AFTER it became pretty popular in the USA and IMHO the Vee Lines were a HUGE part of that success. ....
    ...Likely there we also MANY MORE BEETLES in the USA than in Europe to 'pilfer' from ....
    Steve
    Well said, Steve. I think a lot of people don't realize the beetle wasn't the bottom of the econo car line in Europe like it was in the US. Believe it or not, in Europe at the time there were numerous cars smaller than the VW Bug, the Mini and the Fiat 500 for example.
    Another little know fact, (as I can gather)in the beginning, the German racing equivalent of the SCCA only gave 1/2 race credit for FV races. And we thought the English class system was strict.

Thread Information