Liked: 3279

Default How to avoid Taconic Parkway on way to Lime Rock?

We are planning to be at Lime Rock over the Memorial Day weekend for the FRP F2K races.

We will likely be coming from the west (Akron) on I80 with my G30 Van and race trailer. The trip guides show Taconic Parkway as part of the best route. Unfortunately, Taconic Parkway does not allow vehicles with a trailer. There are other routes, but they are longer in time and miles. I'd obviously like to keep travel time to a minimum and avoid known traffic bottle-necks.

So, what would you recommend as a work-around route suitable for trailers?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.16.23 at 12:24 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    We are planning to be at Lime Rock over the Memorial Day weekend for the FRP F2K races.

We will likely be coming from the west (Akron) on I80 with my G30 Van and race trailer. The trip guides show Taconic Parkway as part of the best route. Unfortunately, Taconic Parkway does not allow vehicles with a trailer. There are other routes, but they are longer in time and miles. I'd obviously like to keep travel time to a minimum and avoid known traffic bottle-necks.

So, what would you recommend as a work-around route suitable for trailers?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

One option might be I-84 to Danbury, then US 7 North.

With Memorial Day traffic, most any route may be slow.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    One option might be I-84 to Danbury, then US 7 North.

With Memorial Day traffic, most any route may be slow.
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the traffic. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default 84 to 22

You may want to try I-84 to Route 22 north in NY before you get to Conn. Then cut over to Lime Rock.

I will ask fellow racer who lives off 84 in NY which way he goes

Ed

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 348

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    You may want to try I-84 to Route 22 north in NY before you get to Conn. Then cut over to Lime Rock.

I will ask fellow racer who lives off 84 in NY which way he goes

Ed
    It's been way too long since I visited Lime Rock, but this would also be my recommendation.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 229

I80 to 287 to 684 north which ends at RT22 north to Slime Rock

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 348

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    I80 to 287 to 684 north which ends at RT22 north to Slime Rock
    While that was the route when I lived in/around Nyack, for someone coming from further west and presumably taking I-80, it's not as good as the I-84 to Rt 22 option due to traffic and tolls on the Tappan Zee (I will never call it anything else) bridge.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks, everyone ! Great suggestions so far. Unless something better pops up, we now have a plan.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 3787

I always do I-84 to 22.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Try this:

80 East
    81 North
    84 East
    22 North
    343 East to Sharon (in Amenia NY) (might be a tight turn - nah - not too bad)
    41 North to 112
    112 East to Lime Rock (watch for the RH turn before the track)

Scope it out on a map - Waze and Google will have you on all back roads - with a car - okay - with a trailer.....

Problem with 84 between Scranton and NY line, there is construction, - you go down to 1 lane in places with crossovers.....
    Then there is the Newburgh-Beacon bridge - most of the time you fly right over....

You can also take 22 north to 44 and then east to 112, go through Millerton, (former home of Lotus Racing East) but 343 and 41 are not bad roads (my son used to plow them)

Rt 7 in CT is beautiful, but just seems to take forever with a trailer....

If you go 80 to 287 and then (the soon to be back to name) Tappan Zee Bridge to 684 - don't hit the bridge between 5pm to 7pm.

ChrisZ

PS - Sorry - tried to attach a picture and it messed up... Hope it is good now. Use Google Maps street view to check out intersections.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

I-84 needs construction in PA. In the motorhome it was always one of the roughest roads in North America.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

209 (not the business exit. Go through the park)
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    209 (not the business exit. Go through the park)
    Interesting - I'll investigate this.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I-84 needs construction in PA. In the motorhome it was always one of the roughest roads in North America.
    I80 used to be the worst - drive it now 5 or more times a year and no problem. A lot of 70 mph sections, but don't think of going 80 if out of state plates....

Same with I84 - worst is just north of Scranton, after that fairly smooth - just lonnnggggg.

ChrisZ

PS 209 is nice but some slow areas when going through camping and state parks.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

If you come north on 87 from 84, exit 19 (Kingston, NY) then Rt 209 north becomes Rt 199 east to Millerton, NY.
    You turn north on Rt 44 just before the hamlet of Millerton, continue to right turn on Connecticut art 112 and stay on till you see Lime Rock. Nice country roads. Works for me for almost 50 years…

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Interesting - I'll investigate this.
    209 cuts off the hills of route 81

209 or "The Ho Chi Minh trail" as the truckers used to call it, is a great shortcut to get between 84 and 80 without having to use 81. It's slow going but worth it.
    Closed to commercial traffic because it was so popular, you need to check in (drive through booth) at each end of the park and get a ticket or you run the chance of getting turned around by a park ranger.
    Tell the ranger in the booth if there actually is one there that your an amateur racer and they let you right through. No ranger in the booth....drive right through.
    Decent places to eat on the 80 side of the park also.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default 209

I take 209 from 80 to 84 when I want to break up the trip, not really sure it is any faster (unless you are headed for Pocono). The speed limits on the route are very low and the Park Rangers have radar. Watch your speed if you go that way.

Have not seen anyone in the booth in years but I have been stopped before and had a friend turned around.

It is a better road then a few years ago with some improvements done and a few towns skipped. But a lot of the good place to eat have closed over the years.

Just my opinion.

Ed

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

Since my car is kept in Pittsburgh and I live 20 minutes from Lime Rock I do this drive many times per season. Fastest and easiest for towing is 80 to 81 north, to 84 east. You do have to go through Scranton-Wilkesbarre but it's not too bad. Yes there is construction on 84 east but it is generally not much of a delay. If you have a big trailer taking 84 to 22 north is probably the best bet. The only issue is RT84 turns south right after the Taconic Parkway and you are going the wrong direction for a while until you get to RT22 to turn back North.

For smaller trailers (mine is a 32' gooseneck) I exit 84 at Lime Kiln Rd which is exit 50. Go to RT 52 east, then left on RT 376 to RT82 North. Rt 82 will take you to Millbrook where you intersect with Rt 44 east which will take you to Amenia, NY. Go straight through the light on to RT343 towards Sharon which is just a few miles from Lime Rock.

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks, Bob. Appreciate your opinion.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by B Reid View Post
    Since my car is kept in Pittsburgh and I live 20 minutes from Lime Rock I do this drive many times per season. Fastest and easiest for towing is 80 to 81 north, to 84 east. You do have to go through Scranton-Wilkesbarre but it's not too bad. Yes there is construction on 84 east but it is generally not much of a delay. If you have a big trailer taking 84 to 22 north is probably the best bet. The only issue is RT84 turns south right after the Taconic Parkway and you are going the wrong direction for a while until you get to RT22 to turn back North.

For smaller trailers (mine is a 32' gooseneck) I exit 84 at Lime Kiln Rd which is exit 50. Go to RT 52 east, then left on RT 376 to RT82 North. Rt 82 will take you to Millbrook where you intersect with Rt 44 east which will take you to Amenia, NY. Go straight through the light on to RT343 towards Sharon which is just a few miles from Lime Rock.
    FYI: When on 84 if you take 9 north to Poughkeepsie, then take 44 east. Rt44 intersects with rt22 before you reach Millerton, NY. Not sure of the traffic these days, but if you're heading to NW CT, it was a good time saver for me

Might even be able to save on tolls on the tappen zee bridge if you take 9W north (west side of the Hudson, 9 is on the eastern shore) but not sure on that

Liked: 4

Watch for construction backups on I-80 as you are probably traveling Wednesday or Thursday during construction hours. I zoom out on Google maps and look a couple hours ahead and try to have options for going around. There have been delays over an hour on some of my trips in the last year. Also for returning home especially if travelling on Monday consider heading north from Lime Rock to the Mass Pike (I-90) to the New York Thruway north towards Buffalo. This route is less than an hour longer, stupid expensive tolls but has a super smooth road surface and very little traffic.
    The Route 9 north to 44 in Poughkeepsie these days has way too many lights and traffic especially for a trailer. I was just on that route for my nephews wedding.

Contributing Member

Bob,

you trying to eliminate your competition? Do you warn them about the hairpin of death in Amenia on 44?

ChrisZ

Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Bob,

you trying to eliminate your competition? Do you warn them about the hairpin of death in Amenia on 44?

ChrisZ
    I've seen Dave drive- I'm 90% confident that he can make it around the bend in Amenia. Better that than the downhill corkscrew on Rt 343 going over to RT22.

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default Traffice

You will hit construction delays no matter which route you take. I do a lot of work in western PA and Ohio so I drive that way often. For at least the last 20 plus years the I-80,81 84 roads have been under construction, always. So you will hit a construction delay somewhere.

Have your GPS on standby as there are ways around depending on where the delay is.

Ed

...For smaller trailers (mine is a 32' gooseneck) I exit 84 at Lime Kiln Rd which is exit 50. Go to RT 52 east, then left on RT 376 to RT82 North. Rt 82 will take you to Millbrook where you intersect with Rt 44 east which will take you to Amenia, NY. Go straight through the light on to RT343 towards Sharon which is just a few miles from Lime Rock.
    Bob,

We basically followed this part of your directions (in reverse) on the way back from L-R. They worked great. On the way there we went directly to the motel in Torrington, so didn't need them.

Thanks, again, to everyone who posted !
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 23

84 East dips south to get to Rte 22 north. Adds time.

Over the Hudson River on 84 into Fishkill NY. Get 52 there, cross over Rte 9 and later and merge left onto Rte 82 north, (or get off 84 for Rte 9 north, or even later at Lime Kiln Rd. Go to Rt 52 east, then left on Rt 376 to Rte 82 North.)

Rt 82 will take you to Millbrook NY. At the STOP sign, a quick left right to stay on 82 to avoid the center of Millbrook. A right onto Rte 44/Sharon Turnpike east which will take you thru to Amenia NY. Go straight through the light,
    crossing over Rte 22, and on to Rte 343, to Sharon CT. Left at the stone tower, follow to the STOP sign at Rte 112(?). Make a right, and follow to the track sign.

This is the route we take with an 18 wheeler.

Alan
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

There was no traffic on route 22 or I-90 all the way home to Niagara Falls on Monday night, Great drive!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    There was no traffic on route 22 or I-90 all the way home to Niagara Falls on Monday night, Great drive!
    The drive home from the track really has an outsized influence on one's memories of the weekend.

For example, Sunday evening on I-95 from the Delaware Bridge to south of Baltimore.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Also light traffic for us to Bath (near Akron), OH. We got to a motel on I-80 Monday night (~3.5 hours), and did the rest Tuesday.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.31.23 at 5:47 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thread Information