Liked: 530

Default Anyone have 5-axis CNC that can help with small part?

Hi all,
    I'm in a bit of a lurch.. my '64 vette with LS2 power needs a water neck angle that nobody seems to make. We've designed a swivel neck at 30 degree angle but it needs a 5-axis CNC to produce it. The last resource I exhausted is backed up 3 weeks and I'm trying to have the part installed by the 12th of May. Can anyone help?

Attached Images Attached Images

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

If you have a 3D drawing try https://www.protolabs.com/
    I use them for work stuff all the time.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    If you have a 3D drawing try https://www.protolabs.com/
    I use them for work stuff all the time.

Steve
    Thanks, I sent them the files! hopefully they can do single part at reasonable cost and schedule

Update: schedule is FAST! Price is 5x more than I anticipated and they can't make it anyway. They only have 3-axis machines. I uploaded to a partner company of theirs with 5-axis.. waiting to hear back.

Update2: the "MyRapid" affiliate has declined to make the part because they do not do custom fixturing. So back to square one..
    Last edited by mikey; 05.02.23 at 5:55 PM.

The quote for 3D printing in aluminum was even more expensive than CNC!

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default 3 pieces?

Mike,

Make in 3 separate pieces, the clamp, a cup and the neck and mill out the hole in the cup for the neck then weld the neck in place.
    Keep in mind that this suggestion is from a software engineer.

Steve
    P.S. Protolabs can be very expensive for one offs, just order more and the piece price can drop dramatically.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Steve,
    this is most likely the route I will be taking. Had hoped for one piece swivel neck but I'm just an EE myself

Liked: 296

Steve is right. There is no need to machines this in a single billet. The spigot should just be an existing tube that gets welded into the housing. Simple.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 11

Just a quick note on the design-
    Can the collar fit over the tube/ main body corner as designed? Looks like it'll be tight.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1868

Trying to make that part on a 5-axis machine would be ridiculous. Simply machine as 3 pieces, then weld together. Way simpler, faster, less expensive, and almost anyone can do it for you.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 139

Default Why machine

Buy a Mr. Gasket 2670na 30 degree water neck for $18 on Summit. Cut the neck off at 15 degrees and rotate 180 degrees and weld back on. Somebody should check my math.

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Buy a Mr. Gasket 2670na 30 degree water neck for $18 on Summit. Cut the neck off at 15 degrees and rotate 180 degrees and weld back on. Somebody should check my math.
    Mr Gasket doesn't know what they sell. I bought 4 different "cheap" swivel necks and none of them measured the degree they said. Some said 30, some said 45, some said 60. I can understand the 30/60 mixup because people might use different reference planes. However all of these are 60 degree with respect to the axis coming straight forward out of the water pump. None of them will work. Mind boggling how any were advertised at 45 degrees LOL.

I also don't see a feasible way to cut or section the Mr Gasket part at any point at the required angle to allow for the 180 degree re-orientation and re-weld as you suggest. Not a bad thought though.

I've got two solutions in the works.. simpler machining than the original 5-axis plan and some welding will be required now. I'll post final pictures for inquiring minds in about a week hopefully.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Did you possibly try these guys: https://distinctivemfg.co/nashville-cnc-machine-shop /

Quote Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
    Just a quick note on the design-
    Can the collar fit over the tube/ main body corner as designed? Looks like it'll be tight.
    yes we verified that

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Did you possibly try these guys: https://distinctivemfg.co/nashville-cnc-machine-shop /
    thanks I might give them a call for future reference but I'm not sure if they are actually here in Nashville area. They have a local 615 number but contact page only lists MI & NC.

the more I investigated getting the original design done in one piece on 5-axis the more I realized this one part would cost more than $1000 doing it that way.

as I mentioned I'm an EE so design for manufacturing in the mechanical realm isn't something I have much experience with. I'm learning more every time I design something for the Lola or the hot rod.

I'm pretty confident the alternative design and fabrication plan will work out. Should know soon enough.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information